What is a "grey market" "overseas" Sparco seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Essentially what happens with a lot of these companies is it's cheaper to have them manufactured in china so they send them there for manufacturing. There are no copy right laws in china so the facilities that manufacture them use the plans to make their own seats to sell much cheaper. Often times the copies are as good or even better than the originals. Sometimes they're much much worse. This happens in all industries and it just blows me away that no one seems to care enough to stop it.
I would have to disagree, most of the time they find ways to use worse quality materials, knowing they can make something that looks the same. They do the manufacturing process and substitute anything they can while maintaining same visual appearance.

Trust me but knocks offs from China are very RARELY better quality or anywhere near as good. That is a ludicrous statement.

I urge people to look at not only how easily the fabric can flame up, but that it will likely poison you to death and you will pass out in a short period of time in the event of a fire.

This is how I feel about it;
This is your seat, if you want to look cool by getting a piece of **** product, get a ****ing life.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by 04GG
Heck, I don't even buy a lot of the stuff at the local auto parts places because they are "generics". Some things are OK like wiper blades and crap like that, but any critical parts I need: I want OEM or an aftermarket that is known to be better than OEM.

I buy a lot of stuff online simply because it is easy, but I will opt for quality over cheap 9 times out of 10. I WILL pay more for a quality product, period. I don't care if it costs a little more if it lasts longer than an sub-par knock off.

This thread went WAAAAAAY off the deep end, but it is still good stuff to put out there IMO.
Agreed 100%.

It's things to be aware of. If you choose to go generic/knock of something you need to be aware of it's quality. I know in this particular case I'd be very careful. ESPECIALLY with knock of bases. I'd hate to hear of someone ending up in a wheel chair from a snapped seat. (some of these off markets are built well).

Story on this one... friend of mine back in the day got in an accident street racing (I know). He spun and hit a wall backwards. His seat broke and he flew out of the hatch of his his car and hit the wall. He lived... for about 2 years. 2 years of torture on him and his family. He finally died from a massive seizure.

Seats are not to be ****ed with. That's why their one of the checked safety pieces in a race car.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
I would have to disagree, most of the time they find ways to use worse quality materials, knowing they can make something that looks the same. They do the manufacturing process and substitute anything they can while maintaining same visual appearance.

Trust me but knocks offs from China are very RARELY better quality or anywhere near as good. That is a ludicrous statement.

I urge people to look at not only how easily the fabric can flame up, but that it will likely poison you to death and you will pass out in a short period of time in the event of a fire.

This is how I feel about it;
This is your seat, if you want to look cool by getting a piece of **** product, get a ****ing life.

I was talking about ALL products. And you're right it is very rarely better but it's often times either run at the same time with the same materials or at a later date with the same materials. Usually they're cheaper for a reason but I have direct experience in this covering a couple of industries... medical, clothing, style and bike to name a few of them.

You're absolutely right though. MOST of the time you're damn right it's ****tier. That's why a $45 dvd player craps out in a week more often than a $300 one. Not always... but it does happen more often. But once again... that wasn't really my point.

I guess I should have sad it's rarely better, usually ****tier and sometimes as good... thanks for the correction.