What to do when someone steals your license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 11:21 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 2002
What to do when someone steals your license plate?

It’s always fun finding some thing else someone did to my car (from small things to taking my valve stem caps on 4 different occasions, to finding out someone backed into my car twice and last, finding out someone threw a bottle at my car), and it’s only a year and a half old.

Since the rear plate was stolen, should I move the front to the rear? How much hassle am I going to get from the cops until it comes in? Especially since it would make any illegal mod I have stand out far more (from no side markers, to EDM HID’s, tinted windows, modified exhaust, etc).

Does anyone have an experience on getting a new license plate (how long does it take to come in)? Do they give you evidence to show an officer if pulled over that you really are waiting for the license plate to come on in? How much does it cost (should I just get a personalized plate)?

Thanks.
Bryan
Old 09-04-2004, 11:44 PM

Car Info: iono nemore
obviously u got to go into the dmv and tell them. When u go in they tell u to turn in the reamaing plate and wait for new ones. They give you a temp plate on paper i think. if the cops hassle u just break out the dmv papework. hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:47 PM

Car Info: civic
yea i think they give u a type of paper or something to put in the back window/frontwindow so whoever tries to cite you a ticket will see it and leave u alone.

at least thats how it was for the sticker on the license plate
Old 09-04-2004, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
Yea, just don't leave that paper thing on for too long. It's a pain in the *** to clean off, if you're as lazy as I am.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I borrowed my brother's car when my old car was in the shop a few years back. Wouldn't you know it - someone ripped off both plates because my brother had just renewed the registration.

I went to DMV the same day and waited in line (it wasn't that bad) because there was no way I was going to return the car to my brother without plates. I had a little bit of difficulty because I was not the owner of the vehicle but after showing I.D. and explaining the situation I walked out with a set of brand new plates and a new registration sticker, for a nominal fee of course. I think this was about 8 or 9 years ago so maybe DMV no longer issues new plates on the spot, I don't know.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-05-2004, 12:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
what id do personally is get a new car registration holder from a dealer and stick it to the rear window with a piece of paper in it...

to fool the cops till you can get into dmv and get a real permit

edgar,
Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 AM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
Sounds like you don't have personalized plates.. so I doubt they stole it because they thought it was a cool one.

You need to call DMV ASAP. Stolen plates are often used on cars used in crimes. Better to tell DMV yourself that they were stolen than to have them figure it out AFTER the cops kick your front door down after your plates were seen leaving the scene of a crime.

Note: I busted a shoplifter in Salinas one day.. chased them out of the parking lot while calling 911... gave them the plate.... they said it should be a Nissan Maxima... but I was chasing a Honda Civic. Hmmm..

Dude.. CALL DMV and being that they're closed for a holiday, you might even call CHP and see what they say to do in the meantime. CYA
Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
Notify the DMV, just in case the thief decides to put your plate on their car or a car they've stolen.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 180sx super drift machine!
Originally Posted by Racenut
Sounds like you don't have personalized plates.. so I doubt they stole it because they thought it was a cool one.

You need to call DMV ASAP. Stolen plates are often used on cars used in crimes. Better to tell DMV yourself that they were stolen than to have them figure it out AFTER the cops kick your front door down after your plates were seen leaving the scene of a crime.

Note: I busted a shoplifter in Salinas one day.. chased them out of the parking lot while calling 911... gave them the plate.... they said it should be a Nissan Maxima... but I was chasing a Honda Civic. Hmmm..

Dude.. CALL DMV and being that they're closed for a holiday, you might even call CHP and see what they say to do in the meantime. CYA
Very good point.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:43 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

notify the cops too so they can be on the lookout and that they can be on a warning IF THEY PULL YOU OVER...
Old 09-05-2004, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
First I would report it to the Cops then go to the DMV fill out a form for replacement plates, mark that you need only 1 and that it was stolen then it will ask you if you reported it to the cops mark yes and put the case #.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRB Impreza WRX Sedan
I agree, notify your local police department so they can complete a form (CHP 180) and that way the license plate is entered in the SVS...that way if the wad who is driving around with yer plate has his license plate ran, it'll return as stolen =)

Plus, you get a case number generated from the officer that takes your report. That way if u get stopped for not having a plate, u could show him/her the case number and prove yer not b.s.ing them.

Then, go to DMV and get new plates...i believe that sometimes they have them right there. I went into DMV to let them know that I hadn't received my new plates after an extended period of time, and the lady behind the counter pulled out a new set right there!

Justin

Originally Posted by ldivinag
notify the cops too so they can be on the lookout and that they can be on a warning IF THEY PULL YOU OVER...
Old 09-05-2004, 01:25 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
go to the DMV, report plates as stolen.