What to do if your dog has an allergic reaction to a bee sting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Question What to do if your dog has an allergic reaction to a bee sting?

Can I give the dog half of a 25mg benadryl? For dogs big and small... Or any type of allergic reaction? If you cant get to the vet ASAP.

Last time my dog got stung he had a bad reaction to it, so we gave him a 1/4 benadryl (1/4 of 25mg) and he got all groggy for a couple hours while it wore off. Is there something better I can give my doggy? I treat him like he's my little son so I want the best for him and hate seeing him all medicated all.

Thanks for any good advice. I'm sure you dog lovers understand at how hard it is to see your best friend in pain, and he/she can't do anything about it and rely on you.

I know some of you hate when dogs wear sweaters, however this was taken when he was a hairless puppy in the cold of winter. He's a Mini Pinscher, although a pure breed, we rescued him from the pound after he was found in a drug house during a police raid. He was one of thee in the litter, sadly we couldn't rescue his sisters, but luckily someone else did.

Some say he's half kangaroo, half dog because he skips and jumps like one... He's not a typical small dog because I actually trained trained him unlike most small dog owners He's highly trained and will do anything on command, he hardly EVER barks... He's just the best dog we've ever had in terms of behavior. I thought our Pit Bulls were loyal... Sorry, I kinda went off on a tangent there, I was in the moment.

Back to the topic, I appreciate any comments or words of advice regarding the topic
Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Yes, you can give dogs benadryl. Our Newfie used to get bad hot spots whenever my grandma would give him raw beef, and a benadryl always helped him. Maybe get those quick dissolve strips though? That might be the easiest method. I'm not sure on the dosage, but they also have children's benadryl if you're worried about over drugging him.

I never take anything with "wiki" in the name as the final word on an issue, but this says 1mg/pound of body weight is a safe dose for a dog.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_B...you_give_a_dog

This one says 0.5mg to 2mg per pound of body weight
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...ryl/page1.aspx

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 05-13-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 AM

I figure if an adult is affected by 1 to 2 pills that giving him a whole pill is NOT a good idea since he's less then 15lbs. Even 1/4 of a pill seems like a lot for him since he's so small. Though his swelling went away within 20 mins, but it made him really groggy, and he NEVER gets groggy or put into an ill mood. I'm wondering if it had too strong of an effect on him or not.

Has anyone tried children's Claritin? It's a non drowsy medicine but I'm not sure that it works as well as benadryl. Benadryl is hands down the best allergy medicine you can buy, the only down side is that it makes you drowsy, but it will rid you of your allergies, thats for sure. Its what doctors inject you with in the hospital when you have a bad reaction to somtheing. The only other allergy med that works for me is Allerga, and allegra-D (decongestant), so I'm worried the other non-drowsy meds wont work on him like they don't work on him.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
best thing is to take your dog to the vet, and at the same time you can ask the vet to prescrip a bit more just incase if this happen again...u know

alan'09
Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

I would look at the ingredients of the other medicines (Claritin and Allegra) and research the ingredients in those that are not in Benadryl for any known negative effects on canines. If you have a good vet you can always call them up and ask their opinion.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM

Can anyone recommend a good vet in the Fremont area? I HATE our current vet... It's like a money making machine, you're in and out quicker then a horny 14 year old kid, they don't car about your dog, they care about your money. Those bastards. It's called American Vet or something, its a huge 2 story place off Fremont BLVD next to Weinerschnitzel. Don't ever take your dog there!

Anyone know of a good and honest vet that actually cares about the animals they treat? As of right now, I have no one to turn to.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by brucelee
Can anyone recommend a good vet in the Fremont area? I HATE our current vet... It's like a money making machine, you're in and out quicker then a horny 14 year old kid, they don't car about your dog, they care about your money. Those bastards. It's called American Vet or something, its a huge 2 story place off Fremont BLVD next to Weinerschnitzel. Don't ever take your dog there!

Anyone know of a good and honest vet that actually cares about the animals they treat? As of right now, I have no one to turn to.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with anyone up there. Try going in to the small pet stores in the area and asking their recommendations, as they hear A LOT of stories about vets. Gotta take it all with a grain of salt though as you're getting medical opinions from someone that is not medically trained. Another option is to sign up for Angie's List. It costs money, but has reviews of TONS of services (contractors, auto repair, doctors....)
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Car Info: 2005 forester
There is a animal hospital on central right before going over the bridge into newark on the right they are great!!!!!

FOUND IT www.centralveterinary.com
Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
benadryl is fine, its what our vet tells us to use on our cats if there are problems

also, when shaving a cat, 1/2 a tab of benadryl works wonders.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
benadryl is fine, its what our vet tells us to use on our cats if there are problems

I always knew you shaved your poosy. Do you leave a landing strip?

(hahahha! Sorry, you set yourself up for that)
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F

we don't shave the head.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM

we don't shave the head.
DUDE! I HOPE NOT!!!

Now that I think about it, who has hair on their "head"? Teen Wolf?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

we don't shave the head.
DUDE! I HOPE NOT!!!

Now that I think about it, who has hair on their "head"? Teen Wolf?
I don't think thats a record for fewest posts to take a thread downhill, but it definitely was quick.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
The human dose for benadryl is 1 mg per kg, which translates to 2.2 lbs. I'm not an expert on canine physiology, but I'd assume the 1 mg per LB could potentially be too high of a dose, I would definitely consult a vet on this.

For a really bad allergic reaction, benadryl is actually the second line drug that I would use on a human because its relatively slow acting. Epinephrine in low doses acts quickly and can help reverse/prevent someone from going into anaphylatic shock. People that have really bad allergies usually get what they call Epi Pens. They are a pen shaped autoinjector which can inject a dose of epinephrine just by pushing it against the skin in a meaty area.

This being said I'm sure they have a comparable thing for dogs, I'd check with a vet before doing anything, most will answer the questions over the phone, but the actual perscription would require a trip there.

Last edited by code3suby; 05-13-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by code3suby
The human dose for benadryl is 1 mg per kg, which translates to 2.2 lbs. I'm not an expert on canine physiology, but I'd assume the 1 mg per LB could potentially be too high of a dose, I would definitely consult a vet on this.

For a really bad allergic reaction, benadryl is actually the second line drug that I would use on a human because its relatively slow acting. Epinephrine in low doses acts quickly and can help reverse/prevent someone from going into anaphylatic shock. People that have really bad allergies usually get what they call Epi Pens. They are a pen shaped autoinjector which can inject a dose of epinephrine just by pushing it against the skin in a meaty area.

This being said I'm sure they have a comparable thing for dogs, I'd check with a vet before doing anything, most will answer the questions over the phone, but the actual perscription would require a trip there.
Yeah, the first article did mention that the dosage is higher than that for humans. Of course it's good to double check things with a vet. However, vets don't always have the dogs best interest or the best iterest of the owners wallet at heart which is why further research is good (from reliable sources). A good periodicle to read is The Whole Dog Journal.

Quick Reply: What to do if your dog has an allergic reaction to a bee sting?