Well since the word has spread... My suby is dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
It takes a special kind of ahole to kick someone when they are down.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:26 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Though, this is kind of late, I HIGHLY doubt overinflation w/ S03s can be a factor at all. I've run them up to 55 PSI at auto-X and have had no problems. Also, sitting on flat tires doesn't do much to a tire in that short of a time unless you drive on it. The heat, and the friction caused by the flat tire is what makes it deteriorate the sidewall.

When your friend went back, did he only observe there were no tire marks, and did he actually look at the road. Something could have been spilled on the road prior to you driving on it.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Don't know you, but always look at the wreck threads to see how amazing these cars are about passenger survivability.

Glad you made it out ok. Hope you find your way back behind the wheel of another Subaru soonest.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:38 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by hatchy
It takes a special kind of ahole to kick someone when they are down.
agreed. they know who they are.

glad to hear you're OK Ed.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 AM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^atleast it wasn't wrapped around a telephone pole ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-12-2005, 01:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
Glad to hear that your okay as well. Good for you bad for your suby. Time for another one...'06 is now here
Old 08-12-2005, 02:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Wow... I just got home and read all this. Nuts. I have a few comments (remember, my comments are worth what you paid for them).

- Ed - glad you are OK. That is some crazy crap. After having been through a gnarly wreck before where the people who knew the least thought they knew the most, remember - you were there, so you probably have a better idea about what happened. Doubt you remember me but I think I have a vid of your car on Vishnu's dyno somewhere around here - you went before me and put down more power (must've been the roof rack). This was the day you got your lights from Dee.

- sperry - you are dead wrong on your tire pressure comments and should learn how important tire pressures on before heading to a track again. Also, after all the fear stuff - how do you make it out of your house in the morning? Crazy. You remind me of my ex mother-in-law with direct parallels in un-solicited, unconstructive, incorrect information as well as a general fear of being in a car.

- Yes, Moike is a very nice, gracious guy.

- fishtailing - I was driving down HWY 84 once in my WRX west of Alice's in the twisties, came around a corner and ran out of both grip and skill, or one of the two and fishtailed 3-4 times correcting. There was no way on Earth I was going anywhere near 90mph.

- Subarus: Yes they are amazing at saving the occupants in wrecks. I used to go to dealer auctions and spares yards frequently and have never seen one with a crushed passenger compartment. I watched a WRX wagon wreck in front of me on the M4 in the UK - I knew the driver as I worked with him. It was crazy, he was fine as were the 3 other people in the car. I got his replacement car and he got my Mondeo. My wreck was in an '88 Subaru RX that was hit by a speeding papaya truck, my car was flat out obliterated and I had a bruised rib.

Again, glad you came out alive. Cheers.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:12 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
- sperry - you are dead wrong on your tire pressure comments and should learn how important tire pressures on before heading to a track again.
:rotfl: Sperry's got more track miles and autocross runs than you have trips to the store dude.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by EJ20Legacy
Ah I see: they're in that group of people who modify and tune their WRX's but never drive at high speeds. Just like everyone else on here who is a total saint and always drives the speed limit except for when Ed forces them to choose to road tune their cars in the middle of nowhere and forces them to do 3rd gear pulls against their will. I'm sure it's way more dangerous than when they apparently never drive hard in populated areas like none of us in modified WRX's do.

The whole thing is silly. The only person in more risk than any of us usually put ourselves in is Ed, and it's his decision as to whether or not he's crazy enough to sit in the passenger seat while someone is doing a 3rd gear pull... and thankfully he is, because his tunes are great

ANYWAY -- I'm very happy that you are okay, Ed. Another tribute to Subaru safety. By now I have seen literally dozens of accounts w/ pictures from people who have been in horrible wrecks with multiple rollovers in their Subaru's and all of them walked away with nothing more than scratches and some soreness.

On a side note, Ed regularly rallies his car and drives in other performance driving events. He's not a n00b and if something caused him to lose control, it would have caused just about anybody on this board to lose control.

There's a lot of hate on here and it sucks. You guys are taking low blows at a person who just had a bad accident. It's ****ed up. Bringing up business license comments (which were totally unfounded, even months ago), and all of the other BS including in the closed thread is horrible. It makes me ashamed to be a part of the Subaru community which I have enjoyed for 7 years now.

Everyone who has issue with Ed needs to look in the mirror and realize how completely hypocritical you are being. Harping on him because road tuning is illegal is total BS unless you're going to yell at every other tuner in the country also, and every company that sells performance parts to cars that we all know are NOT for "offroad use only." Simply tuning an ECU is illegal in CA. Every single shop in the state breaks the law every day. So what. We all do. If I didn't want to break the law I would drive a Prius or get a bus pass. I only wish I had a nice, white, high horse to ride on like all of you haters apparently do.

Jeremy

--- ...and certain people who represent certain well known shops should not have the luxury to bash on other members of the Subaru performance vendor community.... ---- ...and I don't mean Mike. Moike rocks. He's super gracious and a truly nice guy.

+1000000000000000000

Business License comments are WEAK sauce. I knew it wouldn't take long for some homers to start with the stupid comments.

And what if an accident investigator finds that there was Oil or some fluid on the tires that caused the initial slide? Will people apologize? I doubt it.

Ed, I have never met you as I live in Michigan but I am glad you are OK. You seem like a very nice guy and a good tuner from what your customers say. If you are ever in Michigan with your stuff then look me up.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Sucks to hear about another suby down.

Glad you made it out ok.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
did your wheels ever come off the car during the service? could it be possible a wheel wasn't fully tightened down? a loose wheel could possibly not affect the car much when travelling straight and then really bite you in the *** when you try to turn.

EDIT: i just re-read your first post... so the tires were rotated. next time you visit the car, check to see if all the wheels are secure.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:01 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by UK n00b
Sorry Jeremy I have a serious issue with your post..!!!

How the hell does grip and ES100 even get on the same thread let alone post???

Mike

hahhahahhahha - that was funny!

Seriously Ed, I'm glad to hear you are okay!

I would like to note that my S0-3's don't grab nearly as well after 15K miles, even though there is plenty of tread. I don't understand this well, but I'm on my 3rd or fourth set right now.

Last edited by AntiochCali; 08-12-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:16 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Originally Posted by EJ20Legacy
...group of people who modify and tune their WRX's but never drive at high speeds. Just like everyone else on here who is a total saint and always drives the speed limit...never drive hard in populated areas like none of us in modified WRX's do.
That's right! I would never modify my car and if I did, I would never exceed the posted speed limit, never.

I have a totally stock '03 wagon.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 AM

Car Info: 2005 Blue STi Gold Wheels Piggy Stickers!!!
Omg!!

Ed Dude glad to hear you walked away. It makes me feel better about my purchase every day as I have two little ones I shuttle all over the place. Of course they love the piggy stickers, adn my car.

Someone mentioned black ice. If I am correct it may have been an issue, although I think that maybe oil or brake fluid is the cuplrit. It just doesn't make ssense.

Definantly let your insurence company know you had just had it serviced. Also contact the tire manufacturer and have them investigate. Something is fishy, and it might help you to have the big boys looking at it.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I talked to a friend who said he once noticed that he parked in some oil at a track event. After he left, he took an onramp at 45mph and ended up going all over the place, fishtailing 3-4 times. He was lucky enough to recover, but this this really sounds exactly like the way my car was acting. Oil or brake fluid on the tires is probably a lot more likely than them being inflated to 80psi.

Do you have any idea how long the oil would stay on the tires and how it would be detectable? Maybe your friend can help me out with this?

Thanks
Not to sure how long the oil would stay on the tires but I can attest to the brown stain still being in the drivers and passengers seat and the incident in question happened 8 months ago.

Joking aside glad your ok and as someone else said, "time for an upgrade"

Mike

Quick Reply: Well since the word has spread... My suby is dead