Well since the word has spread... My suby is dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Old 08-11-2005, 05:01 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?

Last edited by soundwave; 08-12-2005 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Thumbs down What a dick

Originally Posted by sperry
I'm glad to hear the OP is okay after what sounds like a pretty scary wreck.

However, I've gotta raise the BS flag on the description of events. Things just don't add up.

First, there's no way the nitrogen in the tires had anything to do with it. Normal air is 80% nitrogen to begin with. If you think the lack of a bit of oxygen and water vapor inside your tires is going to spin you out... yeah right.

Second, if the nitrogen filling process is computer controlled to a specific pressure, chances are that pressure is around 30 to 35 lbs, which is what most people run their street tires at, and is close to the recommended pressures for the WRX. If you have high-performance tires, you should have checked the pressures yourself, or made the guys running the system aware that your tires require 40 to 45 lbs of air. In addition as mentioned previously, S-03's wouldn't suddenly behave at 50 mph the way you described because they were +/- the recommended pressures.

Third, you admitted that the 1st turn you took in the car, it felt weird. Why wouldn't you immediately stop and check the tires!? And more importantly, why would you continue on your drive at a high pace!?

Which brings me to my fourth point. There's no way you were driving "gently" on a straight section of road, at 50 mph. I would be willing to guess you were probably going 90+, attempted to swerve around the rock, and the back-end came out. Then you oscillated several times trying to get the car under control, and ran out of road. If you had only been going 50, there is no way you could have kept enough momentum to fishtail 4 times... you would have stopped by then. Also, in order to flip a car 3 time end-over-end... well, that takes quite a bit of energy, which means, you were certainly well over 50 mph down that road.

So IMO, Jiffy Lube's in the clear. I think this was a driver-error accident. Most likely caused by excessive speed.

Finally, I hope the irony of this situation isn't lost on Ed and the rest of the general public. This is the guy that asks his customers to regularly exceed 100+ mph on public streets while tuning their cars. See what happens when you drive like that? If I were Ed, I'd think very hard about what I'm risking everytime I get into someone's car and ask them to drive like this. Ed, you survived this pretty bad wreck, you think you'll get lucky next time as well? You consider yourself pretty good at handling a low-traction situation, and if you keep to your story, this situation was only at 50 mph. What happens at 100, when your less-skilled customer swerves because of a squirrel? Seems like a pretty dangerous business.

BTW: My intent w/ this post is not to flame, or (re)start any sort of war over EQ Tuning. I'm just trying to put a little bit of a more realistic spin on this description of events for everyone to think about. After all, it would suck to lose another Suby, or a capable tuner for that matter, because of high-speed jack-assery. Take it to the track where there's run-off and safety barriers.
I love the last part...that's it, church it up a bit, but keep the hate coming...
Old 08-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Wow.... thanks for the help! I hope he has some ideas.

Thanks
This is what my friend wrote to me after reading this thread ...

The only thing that makes any sense at all, and not very much at that, was that some untrained person filled his tires to some un-godly level, like 80 or 100 psi. But I would have thought that the driver would have noticed it riding like it had no suspension at all. It is very strange, especially the part about leaving NO skidmarks at all.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Glad your ok ed
Old 08-11-2005, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
i would let your insurance know that jiffy lube had just done the service on your car before this happened so they can investigate further and possibly come up with reason to sue jiffy lube and get you the money for a new car rather then just what the insurance is going to give you for it. it dont matter if the car is modified they will be able to find the cause if they investigate it fully. never trust a place like jiffy lube they forget all kinds of stuff because they are in a hurry all the time.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
and the most important thing is you walked away from this... i thank god every day that i lived thru my last accident .
glad your ok man
Old 08-11-2005, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
I'm glad to hear the OP is okay after what sounds like a pretty scary wreck.

However, I've gotta raise the BS flag on the description of events. Things just don't add up.

First, there's no way the nitrogen in the tires had anything to do with it. Normal air is 80% nitrogen to begin with. If you think the lack of a bit of oxygen and water vapor inside your tires is going to spin you out... yeah right.

Second, if the nitrogen filling process is computer controlled to a specific pressure, chances are that pressure is around 30 to 35 lbs, which is what most people run their street tires at, and is close to the recommended pressures for the WRX. If you have high-performance tires, you should have checked the pressures yourself, or made the guys running the system aware that your tires require 40 to 45 lbs of air. In addition as mentioned previously, S-03's wouldn't suddenly behave at 50 mph the way you described because they were +/- the recommended pressures.

Third, you admitted that the 1st turn you took in the car, it felt weird. Why wouldn't you immediately stop and check the tires!? And more importantly, why would you continue on your drive at a high pace!?

Which brings me to my fourth point. There's no way you were driving "gently" on a straight section of road, at 50 mph. I would be willing to guess you were probably going 90+, attempted to swerve around the rock, and the back-end came out. Then you oscillated several times trying to get the car under control, and ran out of road. If you had only been going 50, there is no way you could have kept enough momentum to fishtail 4 times... you would have stopped by then. Also, in order to flip a car 3 time end-over-end... well, that takes quite a bit of energy, which means, you were certainly well over 50 mph down that road.

So IMO, Jiffy Lube's in the clear. I think this was a driver-error accident. Most likely caused by excessive speed.

Finally, I hope the irony of this situation isn't lost on Ed and the rest of the general public. This is the guy that asks his customers to regularly exceed 100+ mph on public streets while tuning their cars. See what happens when you drive like that? If I were Ed, I'd think very hard about what I'm risking everytime I get into someone's car and ask them to drive like this. Ed, you survived this pretty bad wreck, you think you'll get lucky next time as well? You consider yourself pretty good at handling a low-traction situation, and if you keep to your story, this situation was only at 50 mph. What happens at 100, when your less-skilled customer swerves because of a squirrel? Seems like a pretty dangerous business.

BTW: My intent w/ this post is not to flame, or (re)start any sort of war over EQ Tuning. I'm just trying to put a little bit of a more realistic spin on this description of events for everyone to think about. After all, it would suck to lose another Suby, or a capable tuner for that matter, because of high-speed jack-assery. Take it to the track where there's run-off and safety barriers.
Shut your ****ing mouth. Why are you in the Bay Area if your from Reno anyways. Its not fast driving or speeding that causes accidents/death etc. its stupid drivers. Look at the autobon in germany. Not many accidents ever.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by A 04 GUIZE
Shut your ****ing mouth. Why are you in the Bay Area if your from Reno anyways. Its not fast driving or speeding that causes accidents/death etc. its stupid drivers. Look at the autobon in germany. Not many accidents ever.
You have a point regarding the Autobahn but have you every seen what happens when there is a accident there? I sat on the hood of my car for about 5 hours coming out of Frankfurt one time cause there was a crash that killed a bunch of folks.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 06 EVO IX 67 COUPE DEVILLE
Originally Posted by UK n00b
You have a point regarding the Autobahn but have you every seen what happens when there is a accident there? I sat on the hood of my car for about 5 hours coming out of Frankfurt one time cause there was a crash that killed a bunch of folks.
ive seen w/e the history channel shows me what my dad tells me hahaha but i know what you mean.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
This is the guy that asks his customers to regularly exceed 100+ mph on public streets while tuning their cars. See what happens when you drive like that? If I were Ed, I'd think very hard about what I'm risking everytime I get into someone's car and ask them to drive like this.
I've been tuned by Ed and was never asked, nor needed to get near 100+. Dunno what you're talking about.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
+100
Old 08-11-2005, 05:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 SVX, '02 WRX
Well, I lived in San Ramon from '83 to '95... so I'm not totally foreign to the Bay. Plus, I've got friends that are looking into getting tuned by Ed, and they don't seem to understand the risks of driving around at high speeds.

As far as high speed driving. I'm the 1st to agree that driving fast doesn't cause accidents. Driving too fast for conditions, or having a large speed discrepancy between cars causes accidents. In addition, speed causes more dire consequences when there is a mistake, and reduces the margin of error necessary to drive safely.

The Autobahn is a great example, when the road's empty, it's fine to go 200 kph. But when you wreck, you die. Also note that the areas of the Autobahn that get significant traffic all have speed limits now... to reduce accidents.

The reason that I attribute Ed's wreck to speed is because at a lower speed, he would have maintained control of the car (larger margin of error) or at least he wouldn't have wrecked so spectacularly (lower energy in the incident).

And for someone that gets troll banned regularly... I'd tone down the "shut your ****ing mouth" comments. I'm pretty sure I was reasonable in my post, and don't deserve your weak personal attacks. Besides, running your mouth like that makes you sound like an idiot.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Car Info: sc300
the US has a way of breeding stupid people/drivers.. and our driving tests are stupid. i had to drive around the block. the hardest part was stopping at the stop sign.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 SVX, '02 WRX
Originally Posted by mcowger
I've been tuned by Ed and was never asked, nor needed to get near 100+. Dunno what you're talking about.
I was under the impression Ed asks for pulls to redline in 4th gear, and I've had my car at 115 mph in 4th before down the front straight at Reno-Fernley Raceway.

If that's not the case, how about a run-down of the actual procedure, gears used, and speeds achieved?

Quick Reply: Well since the word has spread... My suby is dead