Well since the word has spread... My suby is dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 06:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Very glad to hear that you are ok. I am a firm beliver that from a safety standpoint the subaru cannot be matched.

Good luck with everything.

-Ryan
Old 08-11-2005, 06:39 AM

Car Info: '08 WRB SG model D
Angry

That really sucks...sorry to hear about it. Yeah Jiffy Lube is crap...my parents had a wagon that they got the oil changed there...turns out the mechanic stripped the thread and instead of letting us know he put a self-taping screw in its place...all was fine until the next time we changed the oil and ended up needing to get a hole new oil pan. So what is happening w/ insurance?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:06 AM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
holy cow! i'm glad you're okay...
Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 AM

Sorry to hear.

Time to upgrade
Old 08-11-2005, 07:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Glad to hear you are okay. Let your suby RIP.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:56 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm just wondering if Nitrogen runs a "more consistant" tire pressure and tire heat, S03s take a while to heatup, and that could have left them extremely cold. Though, unless it was frozen I wouldn't think a S03 would act like that... Also, I'm guessing that you can't see if you rolled over on sidewalls to check if it was underinflated since they were blown?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Glad to see your ok!

post pics if you have them.

Engineering folks: What about the temp of nitrogen when compressed? Does it drop? Isn't nitrogen the propellant used in "canned air"? when I turn that upside down, the propellant comes out COLD AS ****, so, maybe my n00b mind is pointing to overinflation of nitrogen, dropping the temp severly, and he was driving on basically near frozen tires?

-Gagan, the physics n00b
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
PV = nRT

so when pressure increases, so does temperature. the reason why compressed air in a can comes out cold is cuz of the sudden pressure drop from the can (> 1 atm) to atmospheric pressure (= 1 atm). dont know what happened to his tires though, but very glad to hear he's ok!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:17 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
damn dude...that blows. This is a case where we need some photos. Show how safe subies are for those inside of them. We're lucky and you are very lucky to have been in such a safe car.

As for the issue. I have no clue. In 105* temp there is no way it was a cold tire situation. I mean over inflated sounds the most reasonable but they'd have to be SERIOUSLY overinflated. Did they mess with anything else? Sway bars? etc. Have you checked them out yet?

that's crazy. I'd file against them. I mean 5 minutes!!! come on. If it was a few days that's one thing..but you just left.

I don't go to those places. I'm even gonna start doing my girlfriends cause she goes to walmart. I checked her oil not 2 weeks after she got it done. NOTHING!!!!! needed 2 quarts to get to safe range. no leaks. very little burning. car only has 55k on it.

my folks took their suburban to one one time and they didn't tighten the oil plug enough. Thing fell off and all the oil dumped out of the car a few miles down the road...luckily they noticed.

I do dealerships, tuner shops or do it myself.

I guess if you're looking for a lesson to learn. Always look over your car after someone else works on it. Check your tire pressure.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Did they mess with anything else? Sway bars? etc. Have you checked them out yet?
I agree with this...I think it must have been suspension related.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
as we discussed earlier Ed, we are so happy you're okay...

-LIC Crew
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Damn Ed....I am sorry to hear such a terrible story.....I'm glad you are ok though. I hope all works out for you in your favor...sounds like Jiffy Lube F*cked up bigtime, they HAD to have done something wrong, its just too weird that you had JUST left their shop, and this happens. +1 for Suby Safety

and +1 for Ed being ok.

Keep us posted on the insurance proceedings, I'm curious to see what they think the problem was caused by.

-Ted
Old 08-11-2005, 10:01 AM

Car Info: '05 STI
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Glad to see your ok!

post pics if you have them.

Engineering folks: What about the temp of nitrogen when compressed? Does it drop? Isn't nitrogen the propellant used in "canned air"? when I turn that upside down, the propellant comes out COLD AS ****, so, maybe my n00b mind is pointing to overinflation of nitrogen, dropping the temp severly, and he was driving on basically near frozen tires?

-Gagan, the physics n00b
nah, they use CO2 in canned air. You can fit more in safely, because it turns to liquid at a fairly high temp (liquid nitrogen is way colder). That's why you can shake canned air and feel it has liquid inside. When you lower the pressure it turns back into gas and shoots out. The reason it's cold when the can is upside down is because some of the liquid comes out. They also have CO2 fire extinguishers that spray CO2 liquid that turns to gas. I usually see those close to Oxy/Acet welders.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Glad to hear you're OK!

My guess (from an engineering backgroud) : severely overinflated tires.

Nitrogen in tires is less temp sensitive. It's also a waste for street driving IF you check your tire pressures regularly, but for "regular people" who don't check them even once/year it's a good idea.

Severely overinflated will shrink the contact patch down. Obviously, this could have some undesirable handling effects

Moral of the story boys and girls : ALWAYS check your tire pressures when you get them back from any shop that has possibly messed with them.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Impala SS AutoX
Glad to hear you're OK!
Moral of the story boys and girls : ALWAYS check your tire pressures when you get them back from any shop that has possibly messed with them.
Amen!

I'm religious about tire pressure. I check it at every fill-up and after every tire related service. Even when it's a speed/tire shop. Never know when someone working there has a bad day.

Last edited by pink-i-wagon; 08-11-2005 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Well since the word has spread... My suby is dead