Weird cop activity on 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX, Aspen White, Stage 1 Cobb
Weird cop activity on 101

I was driving up 101, with the flow of traffic (75 -80 mph), on my cell phone, and I saw a cop's headlights behind my car. So, I left up off the gas and he pulled around the left side of my car... the carpool lane. I dropped my cell phone and the cop aimed his light at my face. After a couple of seconds... he drove away.
I thought maybe he was looking for someone, but wingless white subaru's aren't that common.... also.... later down the road I saw him pull over a gold SUV (i.e. looks nothing like my car)

Anybody knows what this is about? um.... maybe he had his vent on and smelt something funny?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
He may have thought you dropped a..
pipe
gun
crack pipe
cellphone(which are illegal to use while driving)
Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
cellphone(which are illegal to use while driving)

california has no such law. some other states do, not cali though
Old 11-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Originally Posted by ish
california has no such law. some other states do, not cali though
I was under the impression that you could not use a cell phone while driving unless you use the hands free unit.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Oh I just read the dmv book. You're right Ish.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs60thru61.htm
Old 11-30-2004, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Sometimes cops will do that as if to say, "I know you were speeding, you're getting off easy this time." I've also had them give me hand gestures in the day time. They are generally more lenient if you notice them early and correct your illegal behavior. It shows that you are paying attention.

Or he could have thought you were blazing a crack pipe or something and wanted to see if you were breathing without smoke coming out of your nose or mouth.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
I was under the impression that you could not use a cell phone while driving unless you use the hands free unit.
There is no specific law, yet, but they have every right to pull you over and ticket you for using a cell phone while driving by saying that it is a dangerous destraction. I have met several people who have recieved such a ticket.

-Chris
Old 11-30-2004, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX, BLACK
Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
Sometimes cops will do that as if to say, "I know you were speeding, you're getting off easy this time." I've also had them give me hand gestures in the day time. They are generally more lenient if you notice them early and correct your illegal behavior. It shows that you are paying attention.

Or he could have thought you were blazing a crack pipe or something and wanted to see if you were breathing without smoke coming out of your nose or mouth.

hmmm, I've never had any bit of lenientcy, THEY HATE ME. Everytime they have thought about pulling me over, they do. I haven't once gotten away with a warning, ticket everytime. I think I have 11 so far, and I am 20.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally Posted by atreger
hmmm, I've never had any bit of lenientcy, THEY HATE ME. Everytime they have thought about pulling me over, they do. I haven't once gotten away with a warning, ticket everytime. I think I have 11 so far, and I am 20.

Wow. I just can't think its the cops focusing on you. Its a bit too "I'm the center of the Universe" for reality. Ever think that maybe you just do not "visual search" enough? When I drive I'm looking in all my mirrors constantly, not just for cops. Infact, I often practice using the rearview or side mirror with one eye while making sure I can judge brake lights and distance with the other eye.

Also, get one of the smaller wideangle mirrors (that clip over your rearview) from any rice shop. No blind spots. At least 4 or 5 times I've caught that ***** on Sunset Blvd in San Francisco pacing me in my blind spot... little did he know.

jason
Old 11-30-2004, 12:41 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmboost, just was making reference to my situations. They don't hate me... just never get off with a warning.

I do the same, my eyes are glued on the rear view, most of my tickets are from them either hiding on the far side of an overpass in the ditch, or pacing me while Im going the speed of traffic usually like 6mph over, and they pull me over cuz I have my huge hks muffler
Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 PM

my car is totally stock looking, except for white side skirts.
I definitely wasn't worried about a speeding ticket... my only worry was my possibly stinky exhaust.... or maybe he wanted to pull me over and realized i'm not a punk kid (i sit upright, usually wearing a business suit from work, etc.)
It was pretty busy traffic, I don't think he was trying to give me a warning... because I was pretty much driving as fast as everyone else.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:10 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I've had that happen to me a couple times. I've also had a couple other similar things happen. Had police talk to me on the loud speaker..."slow down" Once I had a police bike officer hit the bed of my truck with his night stick.

One time a police woman shined her light at me as she was getting off the freeway. It was a freeway change....101. I picked up my mag light and shined her back. (no joke)
Old 11-30-2004, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Once I had a police bike officer hit the bed of my truck with his night stick.
i would have hit the brakes... "sorry, you startled me"... haha
Old 11-30-2004, 01:26 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
Originally Posted by mmboost
Infact, I often practice using the rearview or side mirror with one eye while making sure I can judge brake lights and distance with the other eye.
What are you, a chameleon?

Old 11-30-2004, 01:40 PM

lol

Quick Reply: Weird cop activity on 101