Watch out all you Bay Area'ins with a Radar Dector, it's now useless!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
As a side note, have any of you V1 owners noticed that a lot of the newer Infiniti vehicles set off the "L" on your detector? I have...I think it's the device which tells the driver if he's tailgating...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
See the bottom of this...

http://www.valentine1.com/Moreinfo/p...laser_pg13.pdf

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
As a side note, have any of you V1 owners noticed that a lot of the newer Infiniti vehicles set off the "L" on your detector? I have...I think it's the device which tells the driver if he's tailgating...
Old 01-26-2007, 10:16 AM

Car Info: Fast
I seriously hope none of you are the types that swerve in and out of traffic...desperately trying to get somewhere 30 seconds ahead of the guy you are cutting off. I always laugh when that guy gets stuck in traffic and I cruise by going the speed I always was. If you want to get somewhere faster, leave earlier.

This is beside the point though.

I am usually very liberal when it comes to laws, but in this case I believe that the Highway Patrol are doing posative work.

Do I speed? Yes I do on occasion. Mainly on long trips when that 5 MPH will equal several hours of time saved. As a few others have mentioned, I have a well maintained car that has greater capabilities than many others on the road. However, when I do exceed the speed limits I put even greater effort into doing so safely. I also realize that there is a smaller margain for error as you go faster. If I get pulled over I don't ***** and whine. I accept that I broke the law, take my ticket, and think about what that means. Sometimes the officer will even recognize this and let you go.

Realistically, speed limits are not objective. On an open highway maybe you can go 90+ safely. But when there are people everywhere, 50 may be as fast as you can go safely. The same goes for night driving, and driving under adverse conditions. It is supposed to be about evaluating the situation and determining what the proper speed is.

I will throw in my opinion that minimum speed limits should be enforced as well, since many times someone going 30 on the highway with a 70 MPH speed limit is even more dangerous than the guy rolling at 80. Realistically it is the combination of both that is most dangerous.

Sure the balance of CHP to local police is not equal. Remember that they are funded from different governments before *****ing tho. Also, remember that they are pulling you over to protect the other people on the highway who may just feel endangered by your driving.

What it all comes down to is this: if you don't want to get a speeding ticket, then don't speed!!

Oh ya, regarding jammers. Has anyone ever thought that if a cop is pointing their gun at a car, and gets a jammed signal, then they are DEFINATELY going for that car? It seems pretty basic to me. AND it is an even easier violation to prove...not to mention a more severe one.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I just wish they would enforce the "following too close" law a little more diligently.

I have to believe that causes a LOT more accidents than just speeding by 5-10-even 15 mph above the limit alone
Old 01-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by aboothman
I seriously hope none of you are the types that swerve in and out of traffic.........

Well put. All of it.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by psoper
I just wish they would enforce the "following too close" law a little more diligently.

I have to believe that causes a LOT more accidents than just speeding by 5-10-even 15 mph above the limit alone
I would VERY much agree with this.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
I drive to fast. I try not to be that swerving guy but I def go around people that like to stay in the left lane when it is intended for passing only. Where I live on the 101 it is only 2 lanes each way and MF's are always doing 55mph in the Passing lane. I h8 them and all their children and all their childrens children.

I still **** when I get tickets. I dunno but I think AWD plus awesome brakes allows me to drive faster while still mainting a high level of safety. These speed laws are where designed for the heavy cars with drum brakes. No way a 5000lb truck with drums can stop faster than me with him going 55mph and me doing 75mph. I would bet a bill that I stop quicker if brakes were applied at the same time. I know it sounds self serving but it's my .02
Old 01-26-2007, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
Going back to the whole "speed trap" issue, I was under the impression that speed traps were illegal in CA. This is one of the arguments to beat speed cameras. If an officer has to be stationary to use the laser, wouldn't one be able to argue that qualifies as a speed trap?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
I drive to fast. I try not to be that swerving guy but I def go around people that like to stay in the left lane when it is intended for passing only. Where I live on the 101 it is only 2 lanes each way and MF's are always doing 55mph in the Passing lane.
Dont get me started! I think it is because everyone is stoned.....
Old 01-26-2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by cdawg
Going back to the whole "speed trap" issue, I was under the impression that speed traps were illegal in CA. This is one of the arguments to beat speed cameras. If an officer has to be stationary to use the laser, wouldn't one be able to argue that qualifies as a speed trap?
No, because the law is very clear about how a speed trap is defined. Basically, there needs to be markings every X feet so that they can time you going through it. They are allowed to use RADAR/LIDAR on local roads and highways if there has been a traffic survey there in the last 5 years.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 05 CMG STi, 67' GTO, 69' Camaro

Originally Posted by mcowger
I would VERY much agree with this.
well it looks like we can agree on something.

also, to mcgower, i would like to apologize for my initial statement, it was uncalled for, i just get so damn riled up when it comes to these sort of issues. again my apologies.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

This is 100% correct (IMHO). Especially in those areas where you are cruising along at normal speed, then suddenly you are going 25 or so, then back up to speed for no reason. If people would chillax a little and not try to swallow bumpers, this wouldn't happen. One person slams on the brakes and it starts a chain reaction that could have been absorbed in the 'cushion area' of the person following at a proper distance.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by TunerSTI
well it looks like we can agree on something.

also, to mcgower, i would like to apologize for my initial statement, it was uncalled for, i just get so damn riled up when it comes to these sort of issues. again my apologies.

No worries .

Totally OT: Why does everyone think its mcgower? Its mcowger - first initial, last name .