warning... chp task force checking baffles in:

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
I guess its a good thing I didn't drive my WRX, we drove the A4.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2013 SWP BRZ
ARGH!! I hate the CHP...

I just got pulled over on 3/14 on the way home to SF from SJ at Bunkerhill by San Mateo. I was trying to pull over to the slowest lane (going one lane at a time, with blinkers on). I admit I was going faster than the speed limit (75mph), when suddenly a CHP officer shows up from behind and tells me to exit. We exit and he tells me that I was going 85mph, when I saw my speedo it said 75. I didn't want to argue, and just wanted to get my ticket and move on. So the officer asks for my ID and Reg, when sudden I remember that I threw my backpack in the trunk before I left SJ(with everything in it).

Here's the Dialog on how it went:

CHP: proof of insurance, id, and veh. registration
Me: (hands over my reg.) Sorry officer, I accidentally left my wallet in my backpack, and it's in the trunk. May I get it out of the trunk?
CHP: You WHAT?! No no no... I can't let you do that
Me: But I have both my ID and Proof of insurance inside
CHP: I can't let you go to your trunk, because I don't know who you are and where you're from. You might be a gangster with a gun inside....
Me: .....
CHP: Now I have to write you down as no proof of reg. and no ID
Me:*sigh* Can I write down my name, address, etc then?
CHP: Of course you can
Mins. pass by....

CHP: Sir, did you modify your exhaust pipes?
Me: Yes, I have a catback
CHP: Can you turn on your car please, and rev it.
Me:Sure, *holds down accel. to 3k rpm*
CHP: Hmm...can you pop your hood, what else have you done to it?
Me: Just the exhaust... (its a fujitsubo, it's quiet as hell...)
CHP: Points at the downpipe, what's this?
Me: It's a downpipe
CHP: Does it have a Catalytic converter?
Me: Yes
CHP: Please wait, I have to call for some backup

Mins later...another uniform comes and looks with him, and they discuss what they think it is. Few shrugs here and there, the other officer steps back and looks at my car and smiles. WTH....

CHP: So I'm going to write you off as speeding, and since you modified your exhaust I will need you to head over to the State Ref for inspection. *hands over ticket* Have a nice day...

WTF man.... I probably ended up staying there for over an hour, just to get a state ref warning and a speeding ticket.

So what should I do guys? I have a fujitsubo power getter exhaust (has 2 resonators) and a helix dp with a high flow cat. Do I need to replace my exhaust with a stock one before I go there or just show up as is?

I apologize that this was so lengthy, but I just had to vent somewhere.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Car Info: '08 cadillac cts
I'm totally effed. My car is teh loud
Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM

^^^Oh man..I work right near there.!!...Crap and I have a Catless Downpipe and waiting to buy a good exhaust!

This whole thing is gonna make me run to the NorCal Classifieds and try to trade my Catless for a Catted!..

OH and Baffle = Silencer..the one that goes into your exhaust to quiet it down..Took me 10 min to figure it out.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
08.11.84 - 02.14.10

Car Info: a center diff that is going...
what about those of us with a catted TBE twin tip? its not super loud but louder then stock. i think i would be under the 95db but not sure. anyone that can help with a db reader?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
So what happens if the officer asks you if you've modified your car and you state no (but you really have an aftermarket turbo, dp, tmic, etc) and they inspect your car and found out you are modified. Can they get other charges on you? Just wondering
Old 03-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
so a baffle is one of those things you put inside the tip of a riced out melon canon coffee can diagonal muffler so that it makes the hole super small right?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by Yin
so a baffle is one of those things you put inside the tip of a riced out melon canon coffee can diagonal muffler so that it makes the hole super small right?
you hit the nail on the head
Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
My exhaust has baffles, but it's also catless.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:54 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
It seems like something can be done to defend ourselves,i can't count how many times i've heard mustangs, vetts , trans ams and h.d. motorcycles twice as loud as our subies. i had a 94 mustang gt bassani x- pipes(no cats) flowmaster exh with turndowns and was never pulled over or followed home. Currently i have a greddy evo 2 catback w/stock dp and i'm watched closley .I would like to find a very quiet catted dp, maybe if i slap a chevy bowtie on my car i can run straight dp and get thumbs up from the local law enforcement. Anyone that says they are just doing their jobs is just making excuses for a group of people that have noone to answer to!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Originally Posted by Yin
Kinda, they are usually referred to as the "silencer". There's baffles actually inside the muffler case. Think of how a maze looks, with the walls going different directions, that's what the baffles look like. Now if you are in a maze and there's walls that turn left/right/or even 180 degrees/etc, you have a hard time sprinting from "in" to "out".

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/fuelSys/...p/muffler.html
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by 7ast129
ARGH!! I hate the CHP...

I just got pulled over on 3/14 on the way home to SF from SJ at Bunkerhill by San Mateo. I was trying to pull over to the slowest lane (going one lane at a time, with blinkers on). I admit I was going faster than the speed limit (75mph), when suddenly a CHP officer shows up from behind and tells me to exit. We exit and he tells me that I was going 85mph, when I saw my speedo it said 75. I didn't want to argue, and just wanted to get my ticket and move on. So the officer asks for my ID and Reg, when sudden I remember that I threw my backpack in the trunk before I left SJ(with everything in it).

Me: (hands over my reg.) Sorry officer, I accidentally left my wallet in my backpack, and it's in the trunk. May I get it out of the trunk?
CHP: I can't let you go to your trunk, because I don't know who you are and where you're from. You might be a gangster with a gun inside....
Mins. pass by....

Mins later...another uniform comes and looks with him, and they discuss what they think it is. Few shrugs here and there, the other officer steps back and looks at my car and smiles. WTH....

CHP: So I'm going to write you off as speeding, and since you modified your exhaust I will need you to head over to the State Ref for inspection. *hands over ticket* Have a nice day...

WTF man.... I probably ended up staying there for over an hour, just to get a state ref warning and a speeding ticket.

So what should I do guys? I have a fujitsubo power getter exhaust (has 2 resonators) and a helix dp with a high flow cat. Do I need to replace my exhaust with a stock one before I go there or just show up as is?

Shoudn't have admitted anything. A good response would have been "no, Officer". And left it at that.

Your downfall was the shape of the canister.

Good luck dealing with the Ref and his cronies.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
Originally Posted by 7ast129
ARGH!! I hate the CHP...

Mins. pass by....

just put in your stock DP and go to the ref if you dont pass the db they will say to take it off and comeback. i went last month for my HKS carbon ti it passed the db test and got my cert. GL on the ref.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by jondl
So what happens if the officer asks you if you've modified your car and you state no (but you really have an aftermarket turbo, dp, tmic, etc) and they inspect your car and found out you are modified. Can they get other charges on you? Just wondering
Admit nothing and play dumb. They don't know what they're looking at (most of the time) so if you play it cool they shouldn't suspect you of anything. If you have a big, fat coffee can exhaust, however, you may be screwed.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Going to put my stock cbe back on for a bit. Till this all blows over.

Quick Reply: warning... chp task force checking baffles in: