Want to put on my FMIC (tired of hole in my bumper)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Want to put on my FMIC (tired of hole in my bumper)

I have a 2005 STi with

Helix DP
5Zigen catback
Walbro 255lpg
EcuTek and pro tune
GP Moto Elbow
Lightweight crank pulley

My question if I put on my Perrin FMIC w/o getting tuned will I be ok on it for a month or normal driving until I can make it to Hayward? I assume the lag will increase but my question is will it be safe (a/f ratio's) for my motor?

Can't stand the hole anymore I feel so ricey.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Car Info: Fast
dude, I know exactly what you mean. Thats why I put mine in this week....of course I have a tune tomorrow. Sick grills BTW!

I say call Mike and see what he says. Mike may have a base map he could give you until your tune. I would be more worried about the intake you will be putting on than the front mount. If I were you, I wouldn't wait more than a week, at the most, before getting a tune. It doesn't take long for a leaned out motor to die. Thats why I am freaked out right now. Don't even get me start3ed on the drive to Hayward tomorrow....
Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by aboothman
dude, I know exactly what you mean. Thats why I put mine in this week....of course I have a tune tomorrow. Sick grills BTW!

I say call Mike and see what he says. Mike may have a base map he could give you until your tune. I would be more worried about the intake you will be putting on than the front mount. If I were you, I wouldn't wait more than a week, at the most, before getting a tune. It doesn't take long for a leaned out motor to die. Thats why I am freaked out right now. Don't even get me start3ed on the drive to Hayward tomorrow....
I need to get a wideband, a tactrix cable, and visist openecu.org for 8 hrs a day soaking stuff up. Then I coulld blow up a motor or two and by then maybe I could throw down my own decent tunes. Ok maybe not.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Car Info: Fast
lol. ya, I want to learn eventually. But for now I need to pay off my damned car!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4URABUS
Did you make that grill yourself? If so, where did you get it? I've been looking for some mesh at various hardware stores, and haven't been able to find anything that looks like the factory mesh in the grill.

TIA

the grill you will be able to source here www.customcargrills.com

the rubberstrip is going to be a LOT harder to find as a I bought it from my painter. He uses it for add on fenders flares for trucks. Dunno what it's called but it was one long strip with a grove it in. Finished the look of the grill perfectly. I used flat black paint and a low luster clear coat to seal the deal. I used industrial strength plastic expoxy.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
I have a 2005 STi with

Helix DP
5Zigen catback
Walbro 255lpg
EcuTek and pro tune
GP Moto Elbow
Lightweight crank pulley

You'll be ok. The aftermarket intake you have to install with the fmic (unless you are cheap like me and hack the airbox in half) of course could lean out the tune.

Still it won't matter as long as you don't floor it at every stoplight. Boost, too lean, too much timing is bad for your motor so as long as you're low boost and not flooring it constantly it won't matter if you have the fmic on.

Now if you go fmic and bigMAF/blowthrough at the SAME TIME w/o tuning, THAT might cause issues...
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by verc
You'll be ok. The aftermarket intake you have to install with the fmic (unless you are cheap like me and hack the airbox in half) of course could lean out the tune.

Still it won't matter as long as you don't floor it at every stoplight. Boost, too lean, too much timing is bad for your motor so as long as you're low boost and not flooring it constantly it won't matter if you have the fmic on.

Now if you go fmic and bigMAF/blowthrough at the SAME TIME w/o tuning, THAT might cause issues...
For sure not putting the Big MAF on until tunning and the new turbo. I know that's a no-no and SCREWS with the a/f ratios. I guess this is where I am a n00b and it shows as I didn't search to see that you can't use the stock intake w/fmic. How did you "hack" yours in half. Pics?

guess it's time to search.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 AM

Car Info: '05 sti
if you are still weighing your options: I put my front mount on and my cobb big MAF without a tune (except the tune that was made for my ARC inductionbox, tbe) My car didn't run utterly bad or anything, I just made sure to go easy on the gas and try to keep it outta boost.
I got it protuned 3 months later cuz of a busy schedule and its fine now =]
up to you, i'd advise waiting ifyou can, unless u have the BURNING URGE to bling out ur car, get the MOST looks, and wanna have babies w/ ur car 24/7
okay im done...

Jon
Old 03-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by STiYLIN
For sure not putting the Big MAF on until tunning and the new turbo. I know that's a no-no and SCREWS with the a/f ratios. I guess this is where I am a n00b and it shows as I didn't search to see that you can't use the stock intake w/fmic. How did you "hack" yours in half. Pics?

guess it's time to search.

Um, I don't recommend you do what I do cause I was just messing around for fun. Basically the part that interferes is where the IC piping comes up from the fender - if you hack saw off that portion of the stock intake box and then duct tape it shut, yeah you can still use it and it actually looks really stealthy if you use black duct tape and your pipes are coated/painted black as well In any case you might want to keep the stock box for when you go back to stock so as a bandaid if you don't want to spend $200 on an intake you can get those $20 ones off ebay which come with a MAF tube and filter, as a bandaid.

BTW I just bought a brand new 8cm Green 2.4" turbo but I'm buying a corvette soon so I'm gonna sell the brand new turbo instead of putting it in and it has a 1 year defect warranty. PM me if you are interested, I'll be selling for $200 less than new (even though it's still in box).
Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by sti4j0n
unless u have the BURNING URGE to bling out ur car, get the MOST looks, and wanna have babies w/ ur car 24/7
okay im done...

well heh I have to admit, I mounted the core about a month before doing the actual piping, and I had a huge grin seeing that big core staring menacingly at me from the front.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by verc
Um, I don't recommend you do what I do cause I was just messing around for fun. Basically the part that interferes is where the IC piping comes up from the fender - if you hack saw off that portion of the stock intake box and then duct tape it shut, yeah you can still use it and it actually looks really stealthy if you use black duct tape and your pipes are coated/painted black as well In any case you might want to keep the stock box for when you go back to stock so as a bandaid if you don't want to spend $200 on an intake you can get those $20 ones off ebay which come with a MAF tube and filter, as a bandaid.

BTW I just bought a brand new 8cm Green 2.4" turbo but I'm buying a corvette soon so I'm gonna sell the brand new turbo instead of putting it in and it has a 1 year defect warranty. PM me if you are interested, I'll be selling for $200 less than new (even though it's still in box).

I do want that turbo. Send me a PM on price. It's the version 2 right?