Want an HID flashlight but can't afford one? Look no further!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Want an HID flashlight but can't afford one? Look no further!

I ordered this sucker last week after one of my candlepower friends recommended it to me since I've been wanting a true HID flashlight (nothing compares to HID lights). For example, the surefire HID lamp costs over $3k! Output is similar to the light I'm showing you, sure the Surefire is built better, but not $3000 better!

The light I'm talking about looks like one of those large spot lights that you can buy, you know the ones that have a battery life of 10mins (not kidding), only it uses way less power due to the HID, and it's waaaaaay brighter.

My friend described it best, he said that it was like the night eye on police helos, sure enough, it's probably brighter! This light is a lot different then the Borealis 1050 lumen light I have (The one that can catch stuff on fire, and burn human skin without contact) so I can't compare them because they are so different from each other. I got mine for $120 shipped and after tax which is hell of a deal!

It may be a bit large, but for the price and performance its well worth it! I think I'm going to buy a couple more to give as gifts.

I have another standard spotlight that has 5,000,000 candle power and this HID kicks its ***!

Only downside just as with every HID light is that you have to wait a couple of seconds for the xenon gas to heat up all the way, but thats now big deal since the light is waaay bright even when its "cold".

I got mine here:

http://www.lanescarproducts.com/blac...l-slh100v.html
Vector SLH100V High Intensity Discharge Spotlight Features:

* High Intensity Discharge (HID) technology provides a brighter, whiter beam than conventional spotlights
* LED battery status indicator shows battery charge level
* Adjustable work stand provides precise directional lighting
* Up to 70 minutes runtime
* 35W-6000 K metal halide bulb
* 12v-7Ah sealed lead acid battery
* 3,500-lumen brightness
* 70-minutes run-time
* Lens diameter: 6"
* Nylon carrying strap
* 13.8V DC - 750mA charger
* Auto shut-off charger prevents overcharging battery includes 120V AC and 12V DC charging adapters

There is a website that reviews flashlights and this is considered to be one of the brightest flashlights that exist today (meaning lights you can buy). The value is UNBELIEVABLE!

Yes, you read that right! It has 3,500 lumen!! A high end 3W LED Maglight (4D cell) emits 110-120 lumen!

I mentioned that borealis light, in case some of you don't know about it... It's a customized light built from scratch using the highest end materials. It produces 1050 lumens which is INSANE for a non-hid flashlight... Now picture 3,500 lumen!!! The best part is the run time of 70 mins! For a light that powerful its amazing that it has more then 15 mins of power available, like those non-HID spotlights. This would be a GREAT light to keep in your trunk... Hell, you can even use it for defense purposes! Blind the hell out of the person attacking you and while they are blinded you can rip out their throats!

Anyway, this light rocks beyond rock.

Last edited by brucelee; 03-04-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 AM

I forgot to add the video, skip to the half way mark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODQXoq_9lso
Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
it's too big to mount to your AR15 though

Last edited by Shagon Wagon; 03-04-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 AM

Who needs an AR-15 when you have 3,500 lumens!?

I looked up the specs of those GIANT lights that are used to project huge beams of light into the sky, like for grand openings and such... This flashlight has far more lumens then one of those do! This thing doesn't mess around!

When I get my video camera back later this week I'll do some video taping of how insane the thing is. You should see what happens when I point it at an empty car! I swear to god it lights that car up like there are stadium lights inside the car! No joke!

I'm glad cops don't use these... Blind the hell out of everyone
Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
crazy light! time to stock up your camping gear!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
wait which is better? one of those? or one of the blackbear or whatever flashlights?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 AM

They are totally different. The HID is bigger and not as practical as the Black Bear Borealis

The black bear uses a different color temperature which creates a more intense beam, it mimics sunlight where the HID light is more white.

Both are GREAT lights, the HID is a lot brighter, but its also a lot bigger. The borealis not only comes in a small package (3D maglight body), but the light is so intense that it will actually burn your skin if you shine it at yourself from a few inches away, the HID will not.

Each one has its purpose. The Black bear is more of a tactical light that can be used for ANYTHING, and the HID light is made for search and rescue, or jobs that require a TON of light... It even comes with its own tripod mount so if you break down on the side of the road, you just set up the light, point it at your wheel or whatever, and you'll have light to finish any work, and it will also grab the attention of other drivers so they don't hit you.

In conclusion, I'd like to have both, if I had to pick, I'd get the Black Bear light, but it's also over $300 Vs the HID which is $120. The Black bear light is VEEEERY high quality. Hand built with only the BEST materials, even has its own heat sink, custom reflector, battery pack, and a ton of other stuff too. So yeah, I'll take both please!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by brucelee
and the HID light is made for search and rescue, or jobs that require a TON of light.

not for us groundpounders!

a couple reasons:
Nobody in SAR wasts to carry around a big bulky light! No room in our search packs, and we need our hands free for climbing fences, climbing up hills/rocks/etc.
70-minutes run-time!

Most of us have small LED headlamps that last 120+ hours, and then some kind of small bulb/LED maglight type light to carry, with only a couple spare batteries in our packs.

You gotta carry something practical and lightweight
Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 AM

What if you are in a helo and shining it down at people?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by brucelee
What if you are in a helo and shining it down at people?
doing helo hotloading training in two weeks on the 15th

there will be lots of pics, and I think wael is going to come to do additional photography
Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
wow thats not a bad price. if i actually had use for it, id get one. nice post!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

so the borealis is for tactical use on carbines, rifles and carried with pistols and the HID is for mounted weapons with box of ammo. gotcha.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by yayitzian
so the borealis is for tactical use on carbines, rifles and carried with pistols and the HID is for mounted weapons with box of ammo. gotcha.
Actually last week I used my Borealis to light a firelog...just because I can It took a few minutes but it got the blaze going. There's youtube videos of peoplelighting bonfires with them. Plus, its completely rechargeable and lasts nearly an hour.

Great recommendation Daniel
Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

wow...i think it's time to get one then

Quick Reply: Want an HID flashlight but can't afford one? Look no further!