A/W Tires...what are you running

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I am in need of new all season tires as well. I am monitoring this thread. I ran the tire that came on the car when I bought it for something like 4 years. Yokohama Adven S4 they have a little life left but are getting down there. Lasted about 50,000! As it is the only tire I have tried on the car I cant compare to others but I feel it handled good in the wet, dry and snow.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by zergling
Had Pirelli PZero Nero M+S before and currently on Continental Extreme Contact DWS. No complaints on either.
Hands down the two best on the market in my opinion.

I've run pretty much all of them.

For low budget tires I would suggest Kumho ASX. They handle as good as any I've driven. They rip in the rain. Snow they're alright until they get worn. But even worn you shouldn't die. I just drove in the snow with mine on the wear bars.

AST from Kumho is about the same as the Proxe 4. VERY soft. But they're excellent in the snow for an A/S tire and do well in the rain. Just soggy for dry handling.

My top 3...

Pzero
DWS
ASX
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by subi4justin
I've got falken ziex 912, great tire! Has held up amazingly in the snow as well
I've run those before. I felt like handling was o.k., rain they were great, snow they were on par with most of the other A/S tires... I'd say middle of the pack. I found that they did well in slush but didn't handle it well when it got colder or deeper.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Car Info: AW '04 WRX Wagon w/JDM STi drivetrain swap
Originally Posted by Roo
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + tires on both of my Foresters. Grip for days, predictable, and wearing well.
+1

I have these on now, and when I ran them on a dry skidpad at T-Hill, they didn't want to let go until I really got into the throttle.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
Im running Hankook Optimo H727's

I love them! Check out the reviews/vs cost and youll see why I bought them for my Fozzy. I couldnt be happier with a set of tires.

Hankook Optimo H727
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I've run those before. I felt like handling was o.k., rain they were great, snow they were on par with most of the other A/S tires... I'd say middle of the pack. I found that they did well in slush but didn't handle it well when it got colder or deeper.
Pretty much my impression of them. Dry was just OK and at least predictable break away, great in wet, but if an A/S tire wasn't absolutely necessary, I wouldn't get them again. Seriously, if you aren't going to the snow at all then I wouldn't even get A/S tires.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by 04GG
Pretty much my impression of them. Dry was just OK and at least predictable break away, great in wet, but if an A/S tire wasn't absolutely necessary, I wouldn't get them again. Seriously, if you aren't going to the snow at all then I wouldn't even get A/S tires.
Yeah 912s are OK tires but are sometimes cheaper than any comparable z-rated tire...I've run nothing but summer tires but I went with 912s because I got them for $85 each in 225/40/18...closest "performance" tire was like $95 for federal 595ss
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Sedan
Thanks for all of the advice!!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04GG
For real...

for me a super high performance A/S tire is cool but if you're never going to the snow you should get something that's more performance than not. If you hit the snow a lot it's a different line to walk.

I honestly found that my pzero's were as good as most performance tires I've owned that had a tread wear over 200. LOL!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Hands down the two best on the market in my opinion.

I've run pretty much all of them.

For low budget tires I would suggest Kumho ASX. They handle as good as any I've driven. They rip in the rain. Snow they're alright until they get worn. But even worn you shouldn't die. I just drove in the snow with mine on the wear bars.

AST from Kumho is about the same as the Proxe 4. VERY soft. But they're excellent in the snow for an A/S tire and do well in the rain. Just soggy for dry handling.

My top 3...

Pzero
DWS
ASX
i cant say more then I HATE the Pzero! they are very bad after about 5k miles and snow more then 4 inches! I was all over the place when them when I had them and I can driver great on the snow, I would say best all seasons hands down is the dws's!

dws review
Continental*ExtremeContact DWS

pzero review

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
very close with new thread traction but I dont get hald the miles i did on the dws's. This is just my personal feeling on th4 two though
Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM
General Pimpin'

The pzero nero m/s? I've had them in over a foot of snow with no issues... NO performance all season is meant for that. Hmm.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
^ yes the m/s and i trust you because you like me drive you subaru in snow all the time.. I wonder why i had so many issues with them...
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
^ yes the m/s and i trust you because you like me drive you subaru in snow all the time.. I wonder why i had so many issues with them...
Maybe your suspension stiffer? Or higher pressure in tires or maybe just more ice under the snow? Interesting though.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Yeah I remember there was a thread a few years ago when I was running the PZero Nero M+S and someone mentioned that it sucks in snow. I said I'm a newb driver (especially in the snow!) but the only time I had a problem was the one time when there was a patch of ice exactly where I was supposed to brake for a turn -- ended up just going straight and missing that turn LOL!

On another note, what's the highest mileage (or range) anyone got out of DWS? I'm considering running these all year long (like I did with the PZero Nero M+S), as I don't see any HPDE or AutoX time for me in the immediate future. Thoughts?
I know I got 26k miles on my PZero Nero M+S before I sold the car I had it with, and it probably still had more life in it then.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
my hankooks are GREAT in the snow (in tahoe this weekend)