VW's... the new a$$hats

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
The prius is a fairly simple nickel metal hydride system. you can break down the heavy metals via pyrometallurgical
processes, (check the wikipedia link here for detailed explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrometallurgy

)
which we had planned on outsourcing.

lithium-ion (laptop batteries and the new wave of batteries) is much more volatile and difficult and handle and more expensive to recycle and reconstitute.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:25 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by wombatsauce

You're right - and that's not all. I mean, if someone was REALLY interested in being environmentally conscious - they would use solar power to fuel an electric car. Totally doable for a commuter.
So you're claiming I'm not really interested? I'm doing it for show? Interesting, given you've never met me or had any significant interaction. I'm gonna say you're 6'2" tall, and drive a white WRX. Of course, my guess on that is about as valid as your guess about why I use a Prius. In otherwords, worthless.

Why can't a drive an electric car?

1) I dont commute with the Prius - we use it for LONG trips with no electricity at the destination (e.g. camping)
2) Solar power simply isn't reliable nor efficient enough to support a reliable car at this time.
3) The Yaris? Gag me. Its not even HALF as comfortable as the Prius, not to mention the sub 40MPG. Again, I REGUALRLY get nearly 50% better than that.

The Prius isn't about saving money, its about reducing emissions, increasing mileage while still having a USEFUL vehicle. Most of the car is recycleable, INCLUDING the batteries, which are HIGHLY recyclable into new batteries. The case is turned into new batteyr cases, the lead is melted down and reused for new battery plates, and the sulphuric acid can either be converted to water using NaOH or converted to sodium sulfate (which is used in laundry soap and other stuff).

Its one thing to decide the Prius wouldn't be right for you - thats fine and I can respect that. However, suggesting that *I* made the wrong choice when you dont know me and have baselessly incorrect impressions of my motivations of use is hardly fair.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon
I call VWs Brokeswagons :rotfl:
Old 12-10-2006, 12:25 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by mcowger
Interesting you state that given that VW no longer sells a single TDI engine in the US. Regardless, even the 2006 TDI Golf is rated for up to 44 HWY/37 CITY MPG, while our Prius is rated for 55HWY/60CITY. We usually average around 58 in the Prius. A FAR cry from the high 30's most of the TDI Golf drivers on fueleconomy.gov report.

We REALLY do care about the environment, and the Prius really is the best choice for that. Say what you want about the Prius (yes, its slow, handles like ***, ugly as sin), but the one thing that it DOES rock at is mileage.
i got the TDI MPG info from Car and Driver about a year back they did a "across the USA" review with 5 random cars...prius, VW TDI, corvette, some other ones and they said the TDI actually got BETTER mpg than the prius they claimed. it would be so cool to run on biodiesel in the future.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by stevenkhau
The prius is a fairly simple nickel metal hydride system. you can break down the heavy metals via pyrometallurgical
processes, (check the wikipedia link here for detailed explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrometallurgy

)
which we had planned on outsourcing.

lithium-ion (laptop batteries and the new wave of batteries) is much more volatile and difficult and handle and more expensive to recycle and reconstitute.
Thanks for the info! Very interesting. Food for thought I guess when I hear people talk about the batteries being so horrible for the environment.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by mcowger
So you're claiming I'm not really interested? I'm doing it for show? Interesting, given you've never met me or had any significant interaction. I'm gonna say you're 6'2" tall, and drive a white WRX. Of course, my guess on that is about as valid as your guess about why I use a Prius. In otherwords, worthless.

Why can't a drive an electric car?

1) I dont commute with the Prius - we use it for LONG trips with no electricity at the destination (e.g. camping)
2) Solar power simply isn't reliable nor efficient enough to support a reliable car at this time.
3) The Yaris? Gag me. Its not even HALF as comfortable as the Prius, not to mention the sub 40MPG. Again, I REGUALRLY get nearly 50% better than that.

The Prius isn't about saving money, its about reducing emissions, increasing mileage while still having a USEFUL vehicle. Most of the car is recycleable, INCLUDING the batteries, which are HIGHLY recyclable into new batteries. The case is turned into new batteyr cases, the lead is melted down and reused for new battery plates, and the sulphuric acid can either be converted to water using NaOH or converted to sodium sulfate (which is used in laundry soap and other stuff).

Its one thing to decide the Prius wouldn't be right for you - thats fine and I can respect that. However, suggesting that *I* made the wrong choice when you dont know me and have baselessly incorrect impressions of my motivations of use is hardly fair.
Whoa there. I was not talking about you, didn't know YOU drive a Prius and would not be able to make judgements about you since I don't know you. Chill a little bit.

I also mentioned what I drive earlier in this thread, so no speculation needed there.

Yes, a $22+ thousand dollar fallacy of economy would not be useful to me personally at all. If I were a celebrity who needed to lay down the bandwagon ecologist card or a technogeek who needs a bluetooth enabled computerized whizbang car, the Prius just might fit the bill.

Just have to comment.. You only use the Prius for long drives? The whole claim to fame of hybrids is around town usage where the hybrid system actually is used, where the fuel economy shines. If you exceed 65mph on your long trips then you might as well be doing them in a Corrolla. In those cases (IIRC above 45mph) you are solely running on the gas engine which is way underpowered to haul that car around and therefore is not running at optimum efficiency.

The Yaris is rated at 39mpg hwy (holy sub 40mpg!!!) while the Prius is rated at 51mpg highway. You are saying you are doing much better than the EPA ratings (50% more than the Yaris) when everyone else is doing worse? Right.

Seriously, no one can decide what is right for you more than YOU, so please don't let my comments offend you. Just don't get offended when trying to convince us that hybrids are saving the world doesn't work. What if the very process of manufacturing the Prius negated any positive effects it could have on the environment in the first place?

My sister drives a hybrid, and I think it's great for HER. The only single one benefit she gets out of it is the carpool thing, which saves her time.

Oh, and I agree - the Yaris sucks, but it is much more economical than a Prius for simple point A to B travel or commuting and it's only ONE example. Think about it - using EPA ratings, you could pay for the fuel (at $2.65 a gallon which I just spent to fill up my 20mpg beastie) to travel over 150,000 miles with the difference in cost between a Yaris and a Prius. Definitely food for thought.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:46 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Not everybody drives a Prius to save the environment. I mean, if you really wanted to save the environment, you wouldn't drive at all. But there are some compelling arguments for driving a hybrid over a conventional car.

Consider this: Battery technology will get better and cleaner as more people adopt the technology. The more popular hybrids become, the more money will go into hybrid development leading to better batteries in the future.

Another argument for hybrid use is a decreased dependence on foreign oil by virtue of less fuel consumption. OPEC countries aren't drilling for nickel or lithium, they're drilling for oil.

My family has one because it gets 48+ mpg normally and 55+ when we actually try to get good mileage (driving 65, etc.).

Also, the carpool stickers rock. Say what you will to knock the program, but it's here to stay, at least until 2010. After that program went into effect, 3 people at my work bought Prii too. It's really a wonderful thing during commute hours. I don't commute anymore so I don't deal with traffic, but this summer, it was horrendous. The carpool lane would allow me to bypass about half an hour of traffic each way on 237 and 101.

I think a lot of this hatred is directed at Prius drivers specifically. You don't hear about people complaining about Camry Hybrid drivers or Ford Escape drivers. People become frustrated with the driving habits of the people who drive Prii, not the technology behind it or the car itself.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:33 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
I think the people that are angry about the prius drivers have been stuck behind one in the fast lane and would not budge at 60-65 MPH when the right lanes are clear. I see it every morning on I-80 towards SF from Sacto. Then you will eventually run into them going 50 on the carpool lane after Hercules. They make other drivers bonkers because they are trying to hit the highest MPG they could not realizing what's going on behind them.

The have also congested the carpool lanes with the amount of hybrids running on the HOV lanes after Richmond towards SF with only one person inside and other vehicles running require a minimum of 3 riders. Guess what, that congestion has become so bad that all other vehicles are idling while sitting there. There goes the purpose of the hybrid saving the environment. They should require a minimum of 2 people in a hybrid for this to become effective in the I-80 area.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-10-2006, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
traffic controllers, move over...

"asshats" (stupidest word ever), I'll move over and let you crash...

Prius, thanks for saving the environment, but please get out of the carpool doing 55mph...

If your car is slower than mine then don't try to race me, you're gonna get embarrassed...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by excel
If your car is slower than mine then don't try to race me, you're gonna get embarrassed...
That goes out to alot of Subaru drivers that tried to race me when I was in my EVO.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Didn't read the whole thread but just today when I was coming home some moron in a newer GTi was going way too fast in the slow lane and came up to slwoer traffic, and cut in between 2 cars in the other lane...he had NO room but still went right in between them. What a moron.