VW's... the new a$$hats

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:58 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by pj21086
+352398732894529085
Im thinking about getting a sticker made and putting it on my side window so I can point it out to the dumbass blocking traffic.
Even better, get it printed in vinyl, with large reverse lettering straight across in a line, and stick it on the top on your windsheild. That way the person in front of you can read it in his/her rearview mirror.
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah that's got to be it... They (we, I have a VW now) drive badly because they wish they had a more expensive car. That's pretty stupid man, even for an automotive internet forum.
I only agreed with a comment made by the OP; if you don't like the comment that was made, take it up with that person.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2007 Legacy GT Spec B
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Maybe they're luxo euro wannabe's who can't afford to be bimmer/benzo a$$
I think that hits pretty close to the truth

'wishes they could afford bimmers but can't quite cut it'

Ed
Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
that's for maximum speed limits...if you look at the signs not all of them say speed MAXIMUM on them. There are laws for both types.

Per the speed limit. I think it's funny that our speed limits are lower now than they were 40 years ago and our cars are 50x's safer.
nope you're wrong there too...read the section before "Maximum Speed Limit"

"You may never legally drive faster than the posted speed limit, even if you think it is safe to do so."

POSTED

where do you guys make up this stuff?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:17 PM

Car Info: 1994 impreza L
I'm guilty of getting lazy in the fast lane and falling off speed a little... but at least I move over when somebody is behind me.

Oh yeah, and there are cars such as my L which can't keep up a full head of steam going up a hill. I've literally dropped from 80 to 45 mph at WOT in seconds. We're not all fortunate enough to have a turbo. And say there were people behind me (there weren't), well now they are slow and the slinky effect carries back. Worst part is, there's nothing I can do about it but downshift twice and hope for the best.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 2012 Honda Civic Si
I drive VWs and I'm not an **** cavaty.

-1 for making one extreme a stereotype for the whole.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by mcowger
Are you talking about Prius drivers that (gasp!) go the speed limit? Like 65? Where their car and nearly EVERY OTHER CAR ON THE ROAD gets its best economy.

Yeah, talk smack about people who are making the world better - good plan.
he's talking about the ones that go 65 in the fast lane while other slower lanes are going 70-80

if the prius owners really cared about the environment, they wouldve bought a VW TDI using bio diesel while getting BETTER MPG than the over rated prius

I only give slight credit to the new GTI owners because they look cool and they have a slight clue about driving.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 12-07-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Snot Rod
I only agreed with a comment made by the OP; if you don't like the comment that was made, take it up with that person.
But then I would have to care. I was simply pointing out that what you were agreeing with was stupid. Honestly it makes no difference to me. Anyone is more than welcome to say or agree with as much stupid stuff as they like.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
if the prius owners really cared about the environment, they wouldve bought a VW TDI using bio diesel while getting BETTER MPG than the over rated prius
Interesting you state that given that VW no longer sells a single TDI engine in the US. Regardless, even the 2006 TDI Golf is rated for up to 44 HWY/37 CITY MPG, while our Prius is rated for 55HWY/60CITY. We usually average around 58 in the Prius. A FAR cry from the high 30's most of the TDI Golf drivers on fueleconomy.gov report.

We REALLY do care about the environment, and the Prius really is the best choice for that. Say what you want about the Prius (yes, its slow, handles like ***, ugly as sin), but the one thing that it DOES rock at is mileage.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Thumbs down

Interesting you state that given that VW no longer sells a single TDI engine in the US. Regardless, even the 2006 TDI Golf is rated for up to 44 HWY/37 CITY MPG, while our Prius is rated for 55HWY/60CITY. We usually average around 58 in the Prius. A FAR cry from the high 30's most of the TDI Golf drivers on fueleconomy.gov report.

We REALLY do care about the environment, and the Prius really is the best choice for that. Say what you want about the Prius (yes, its slow, handles like ***, ugly as sin), but the one thing that it DOES rock at is mileage.
I'm sure those batteries are gonna be great for the environment in 25-30 years.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
I don't know, when I got my first (and hopefully last, knock on wood...) speeding ticket. The CHP and judge went by the "surveyed" speed limit, which was higher than the POSTED speed limit.

They had a binder with all the surveyed speed limit for all the roads within the district/county in the courtroom.

Leo

Originally Posted by stevenkhau
nope you're wrong there too...read the section before "Maximum Speed Limit"

"You may never legally drive faster than the posted speed limit, even if you think it is safe to do so."

POSTED

where do you guys make up this stuff?

Last edited by DetailAddict; 12-08-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Car Info: N/A
Originally Posted by StupidDent
I don't know, when I got my first (and hopefully last, knock on wood...) speeding ticket. The CHP and judge went by the "surveyed" speed limit, which was higher than the POSTED speed limit.

They had a binder with all the surveyed speed limit for all the roads within the district/county in the courtroom.

Leo
It's very comon to see the fast lane flowing between 75-80mph with CHP sitting on the side of the road. We're lucky this isn't Washington they give tickets for anything over 65mph.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
VIP Member

As you harp on about the wonders of the Prius, can you please explain A) what we are supposed to do with the battery units when they go bad or when cars are wrecked and B) how the Prius is the "best choice for the environment" whilst taking into consideration what it takes to produce it including the electronics and battery systems?

IMHO the best choice for the environment would be (if it has to be a new car) the 40mpg Yaris which comes in about $10k less than a Prius. Next best would be any one of the millions of ALREADY PRODUCED fuel efficient cars out there.

The EPA Fuel Economy rating on the window sticker is not the ONLY thing to consider here.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
As you harp on about the wonders of the Prius, can you please explain A) what we are supposed to do with the battery units when they go bad or when cars are wrecked and B) how the Prius is the "best choice for the environment" whilst taking into consideration what it takes to produce it including the electronics and battery systems?

IMHO the best choice for the environment would be (if it has to be a new car) the 40mpg Yaris which comes in about $10k less than a Prius. Next best would be any one of the millions of ALREADY PRODUCED fuel efficient cars out there.

The EPA Fuel Economy rating on the window sticker is not the ONLY thing to consider here.
+1! I tell people all the time that I'd go pick up a Yaris over a Prius anyday. I drive from Tracy to San Jose for work everyday. The Prius will be much worse for the environment in the long run.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX

BTW, they battery system is easily recyclable and easily broken down to it's metal components. in fact, my bro and i are trying to start up a company to recycle used batteries from hybrids. we can't get any vc's to fund us though, but only simply because they don't there are enough hybrids on the road to provide a big enough customer base. the engineering behind they recylcing is pretty simple.

but yeah, if you really wanted to a real tree hugger...go buy a diesel and run it off used mcdonald's oil. half the prius drivers out there seem to me the type that just buys it to show the rest of the world how much they love trees, but really have no grasp of how to really save the earth.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stevenkhau
BTW, they battery system is easily recyclable and easily broken down to it's metal components. in fact, my bro and i are trying to start up a company to recycle used batteries from hybrids. we can't get any vc's to fund us though, but only simply because they don't there are enough hybrids on the road to provide a big enough customer base. the engineering behind they recylcing is pretty simple.

but yeah, if you really wanted to a real tree hugger...go buy a diesel and run it off used mcdonald's oil. half the prius drivers out there seem to me the type that just buys it to show the rest of the world how much they love trees, but really have no grasp of how to really save the earth.
If they are easily recycleable, can you easily explain it? That's all I asked. It's actually a big question as far as I have heard. If you have the answer, then the only thing left is $10k for 15mpg vs another Toyota model.

You're right - and that's not all. I mean, if someone was REALLY interested in being environmentally conscious - they would use solar power to fuel an electric car. Totally doable for a commuter.

Quick Reply: VW's... the new a$$hats