Try again, I changed it.
moar better

If I were to re-do my car, I'd get this material
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM

Car Info: 2013 BRZ
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
moar better

If I were to re-do my car, I'd get this material
Did you wrap your entire car? If so, did you end up removing a lot of parts to get it right?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by onboostsubie
Did you wrap your entire car? If so, did you end up removing a lot of parts to get it right?
Yes wrapped the entire car. I had to remove the bumpers, fenders, over fenders, spoilers, taillights etc.

I also removed the door molding and there were holes left. I applied some helicopter/leading edge tape to cover the holes and applied the vinyl over it.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 PM

^^^^^^AWESOME^^^^^^

Overall, were you happy with your decision to do the wrap?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
I used to wrap cars back in the day, vinyl has improved as have the techniques. It is best to remove parts like the door handles, window trim, bumpers, wing, hood scoop as some other parts before you do the wrap. My friend owns Kind of Wraps and when he and I were talking about wrapping my car he told me lots of parts need to be removed so its done right. I forget the entire list of parts that he said need to be removed but it was more than what i listed. Wrapping a car takes skill even wrapping the roof. If you want it done right don't rush it and take your time at the creases.

Very true. If you are a perfectionist, you probably will only get as close to maybe 50% of the car in a day. But yes, basically you have to remove any exterior trim pieces that will have a dip or have any points that may weaken the anchoring of the vinyl.

Since the OP is asking for a multi person group to help wrap a car, work on the panels would look different because I highly doubt the same techniques and methods will be used.

I worked on wrapping just the interior center console trim of my GC (pic displayed not mines)

From the top gauge pod down to the shifter surround trim, easily took about 10 hours.

Originally Posted by Javirex23
I'm down....allow want is my roof done in black...I'm sure a biddy of mine would be up for it
Hit me up if you wanna do that if it is still not done in the future.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 2009 WRX WRB
been looking to wrap my 09 matte white for a while now. it would be great if there could be a group buy for a roll of wrap on some 3M 1080
Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM

How is the vinyl holding up over the recessed dip from the door side molding that you had removed?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Identifier of i-Club members

Car Info: 2009 wrx
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle

Since the OP is asking for a multi person group to help wrap a car, work on the panels would look different because I highly doubt the same techniques and methods will be used.
yea i think the original idea already went out the window. like you said it would look different and thats no bueno. but i think a day doing doing a couple roofs or other small parts would be a much better and realistic idea

Last edited by dub599; 09-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I'd like to wrap the center console with the carbon fiber 3M wrap.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

How is the vinyl holding up over the recessed dip from the door side molding that you had removed?
the helo tape is pretty thick and it holds ok. By far not body shop perfect. This isnt my main car I drive maybe 2 times a week. I'll be honest it looks great in pictures but in person its easy to see the flaws.

Last edited by LifePlaza; 09-28-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: poor fob grammar
Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by onboostsubie
^^^^^^AWESOME^^^^^^

Overall, were you happy with your decision to do the wrap?
YES I am happy. This car has always been a project car for me so I don't drive it every day.

The way I see it. Pay 7k for a proper paint job...sure if i had the money. My carbon parts were oxidizing and i had many paint chips and scuffs. Since I didn't have 7k for a proper paint job, spending about $300 on vinyl, food and beer across the span of 3 weekends wrapping it with friends was worth it imo.

As I stated in another post. It looks great in photos but up close I won't be winning any awards for carshows.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:12 PM

the helo tape is pretty thick and it holds ok. By far not body shop perfect. This isnt my main car I drive maybe 2 times a week. I'll be honest it looks great in pictures but in person its easy to see the flaws.
I know exactly what you mean. Thats why I asked, because Im really fond of fine details and craftsmanship if done right.

Areas like those usually will just rise up again into a bubble for those who do not use any adhesive under it. I see it some times and it really bothers me lol. For those who are planning to wrap, just a tip: think of the heat conditions after the car is done and will be sitting. That is all.

Oh I also recommend a full car wash, full body clay bar, then blow dry every single little crevice before doing any wrapping.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
VIP Member

I know exactly what you mean. Thats why I asked, because Im really fond of fine details and craftsmanship if done right.

Areas like those usually will just rise up again into a bubble for those who do not use any adhesive under it. I see it some times and it really bothers me lol. For those who are planning to wrap, just a tip: think of the heat conditions after the car is done and will be sitting. That is all.
word I completely understand where you are coming from. Vinyl wrap in a sense has very similar traits to paint. Any flaws underneath the paint or vinyl will show.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Get the vinyl done perfect, then clear bra
Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Now I don't know weather to do it or not...

Last edited by onboostsubie; 09-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: vinyl wrap day ?