video: debris smashes window

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
how does stuff like this make it to autoblog? srsly how is this news?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Followup:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/05/v...rviewed-by-nb/

The driver who very nearly filmed her own death has been interviewed by NBC's Today Show after video of her shocking road debris accident went viral. Wendy Cobb of Shelby, North Carolina was driving on April 1 when the accident happened.

Cobb says she was using her cameraphone to film two trucks who were holding up traffic so she could report the incident. As Cobb turned her phone toward the road in front of her, the truck and trailer in front of her kicked up a 2x4 lying in the road that shattered the windshield of her Kia Sedona minivan and very nearly impaled her. Luckily, Ms. Cobb's children weren't with her when the accident happened, or the results may have been far more tragic. According Cobb, the only injury she received was a tiny glass cut. Damage to her car was limited to the hood and windshield.

Cobb says she hasn't watched the video since the day of the accident, but has received plenty of emails from people who still think it was an April Fool's prank – check out the video after the jump. Thanks for the tip, Adam!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Cereally, I drive like a grandma. Ask anyone that's been on a cruise with me.
The only time I've ridden the crap out of other cars was the road to Hana, because those idiot tourists were turning a 45 minute drive into a 3 hour one (and weren't listening to all the tour literature/talks telling them to get the hell out of the way when someone would catch up to them).
THen you and Charlie (Onizuka) should start your own club. LOL!

Slow pokes...

Oh... and just for reference... at 65mph you'd need to be about 380 feet away. That's about 20 car lengths.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Damn! The video got taken down already.

Last summer I commuted to and from San Francisco and Santa Clara via 101. I was going back home on 101 N on the fast/passing lane when I saw a huge accident on the southbound 101 lane. I basically just saw a car smash into the center divide. Debris everywhere. Something hit the very edge of the top of my windshield. I was so scared that I took the next exit and went into a parking lot to check if there was any damage. Luckily, there was just a little piece of rubber around the frame of the windshield that "chipped" off.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by dSpec
Damn! The video got taken down already.

Last summer I commuted to and from San Francisco and Santa Clara via 101. I was going back home on 101 N on the fast/passing lane when I saw a huge accident on the southbound 101 lane. I basically just saw a car smash into the center divide. Debris everywhere. Something hit the very edge of the top of my windshield. I was so scared that I took the next exit and went into a parking lot to check if there was any damage. Luckily, there was just a little piece of rubber around the frame of the windshield that "chipped" off.
You're lucky.

I had a few rocks from a rock slide bounce off and chip my paint just above the windshield. Had a car wreck right next to me. Their passenger window was embedded in the paint. Had to have the entire left side of my car repainted.

Right next to my drive way a van lost the entire rear end... yeah... the whole damn thing fell off. Caused a huge accident. At least one fatality. Was gnarly.

Another time I saw an entire 4x8 sheet of plywood fly off an overpass. It flipped over just as the camaro next to me drove under it.

Another time I had an entire sheet of dry wall fly over the front of my car as it was kicked up by the big rig in front of me.

Another time a car clipped a rear view mirror off another car and shot it in to my front time. Blew the tire out instantly.

Etc etc etc.

I've had more **** fly up, smash, nearly smash me while driving that I just don't think about it anymore. If I am meant to die vie flying 2x4 then so be it.

The more you drive, the more this happens.

I remember when Joe (subydude) ran over a mattress and caught it on fire. LOL!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
THen you and Charlie (Onizuka) should start your own club. LOL!

Slow pokes...

Oh... and just for reference... at 65mph you'd need to be about 380 feet away. That's about 20 car lengths.

People were confusing me for Porkferno at Mt. Hammy 2004, so what else is new?
And seriously, I really hate cars in front of me -- I'll cut into a different lane if it's clearer (or slow down to add distance if no other lane is clearer... I'll watch the car in front of me pass a sign, then I'll count "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand" to adjust distance [yes, I'm probably obsessive-compulsive: I also count the number of times I chew my food and I count the stairs as I climb them ]).
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Oh, here's a copy of the video BTW.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx sedan
Wow that is crazy how fast that comes! I knew a guy years back who had a wrench or (some kind of tool) fall off a truck in front of him and went right through his windshield.
Luckily he was not injured.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by Krinkov
First 33 seconds of the video.

34th second.

Last 5 seconds.

exactly how i felt.. insane
Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03

This!