Vent: Idiots who stop in the middle of a drive thru

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
Vent: Idiots who stop in the middle of a drive thru

So I go and get some lunch at the In and Out in Daly City this afternoon and some lady in a ES300 pays, then lurches 3 feet and then brakes. I was pulling forward already as the cashier was ready to take my money and I tap her bumper lightly (very lightly to be exact). We make eye contact in her rear view mirror to inspect the damage after we both pull out of the drive thru. Anyhow, no damage from what I saw but she claims "I come here all the time", "I know my car", etc, etc as if braking suddenly in the middle of the drive thru is something normal to do. She points at black road tar on her bumper and says that I did that. I laugh and watch her pick it off with her fingernails. Then she looks at the scratches at the TOP of her bumper and I could tell she was trying to accuse me of that but she knows that there's no way that my car could have caused scratches on top of her bumper that were from a bad car wash. Then she points to a lower part of her bumper that was nicked and claims that I did it. I disagree b/c I say that my car isn't low enough (stock STI) and I have no trace of contact on my car and it doesn't look like a fresh nick. I say whatever, go and get an estimate and give me a call. Anyhow, since this lady knows nothing about cars, I'm sure she's going to take it to Lexus of Serramonte and either one of two things 1) she's going to get a super high estimate or 2) those guys are just going to tell her that something so small isn't worth it to be fixed. In any case, I'd love to have her take me to court b/c I have plenty of time on my hands. Any advice? I'm not trying to avoid paying for any damages if I indeed damage her car but from what I saw, there was no damage done and she was really trying hard to milk whatever she can out of me.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 PM

Car Info: Drove a Cavalier with a WRX body kit
Did you get any witnesses that day? Probably could vouch for the lurch and then brake. Maybe the cashier saw what happened and can help in your favor. Sucks to hear, hope it gets resolved.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Isn't this private property and she can't really do anything? I don't know much about the law lol.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:08 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
i hope you took pictures.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
im sure in'n'out has a security camera filming the drive thru. call the manager and ask if you can get a copy before they tape over it.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
she reversed into you thinking she forgot her change

nuff said
Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
+1!!
Originally Posted by resident smurf
i hope you took pictures.
Make sure you talk to your insurance agent and tell him/her exactly what happened. Especially the part where she try to blame you on other stuff. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 PM

Car Info: '04 ed tuned vf39 jbp wagon
Pictures and witnesses are key. Even though it happened on private property so the police have no jurisdiction, you should go file a police report. Without any of these, its just hearsay.

I had a simlar thing happen to me a few years back (turning left into a parking lot, car leaving "didnt see me" and pulled out as I was turing in), except I was the one hit and they actually did a bit of damage to the bumper. I got his info, but not the name of the passenger in his car. When it came down to his insurance vs. mine, he told his insurance company some bulls*** story and I had no proof to counter it. I ended up stuck with the bill.

I guess you could lie and be like the bastard that hit me and not get a bill, but if you really didn't do any damage, you should go try to get info to back up your claim.

I'm curious how this is going to play out since I was in a similar situation. Keep us posted!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Maybe she should have just ***** slapped you for being an idiot and bumping her.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Shouldnt have been so damn close to her, the rear ender'er is always at fault, sorry.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Car Info: Drove a Cavalier with a WRX body kit
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Shouldnt have been so damn close to her, the rear ender'er is always at fault, sorry.
+1

hopefully you can manage to get tape evidence or a witness.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 AM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
She said that she would call me yesterday but hasn't called and I haven't heard from my insurance so maybe she got a second opinion and decided to let it go. That's what I'm hoping is the case. Anyhow, I'm on the fence if I should call her or not. Unfortunately i didn't have a camera with me at the time so I wasn't able to take any pictures. I'd rather have my insurance take care of this but I doubt the damages are more than my deductible if I do get stuck with the bill.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
werd..its the drive through..whats the hurry?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 AM

people talk like they're going to do something in these situations, but her proving that you hit her car is just as difficult as you proving you didn't. If there's no police report, statements or a recording... she's likely determined its not worth her time to pursue.

don't call her.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 06' White GDF 18x10 Wrong Fitment Crew #001
+1, but i highly doubt she's gonna take any action

Quick Reply: Vent: Idiots who stop in the middle of a drive thru