Vallejo on the brink of Bankruptcy..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
I'm sure they'll do what most of Vallejo's wellfare recipients do...try to sell them fo' mo' money

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
whens E40 gonna hook it up wif dem moneys
Where is Capt. Save-a-hoe??
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM

Car Info: '06 WRX SGM Wagon
as a vallejo resident since '86 i've seen the old folks runnin' the city trying to revitalize the downtown area and stuff and you know what....no one goes there. no one gives a damn about georgia street and downtown vallejo except like 2% of the population. the city council drove out wal-mart and have seemed to be against economic expansion since forever and i dont understand it for the life of me. if they had done things right and opened their doors to businesses a lot sooner we could have had the same kind of commerce as vacaville and fairfield does and people would be a lot closer to SF too.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by kaldereta
as a vallejo resident since '86 i've seen the old folks runnin' the city trying to revitalize the downtown area and stuff and you know what....no one goes there. no one gives a damn about georgia street and downtown vallejo except like 2% of the population. the city council drove out wal-mart and have seemed to be against economic expansion since forever and i dont understand it for the life of me. if they had done things right and opened their doors to businesses a lot sooner we could have had the same kind of commerce as vacaville and fairfield does and people would be a lot closer to SF too.
I'm sure they were banking on Marine world aka 6 flags aka animal kingdom, aka whatever the **** you wanna call it now try to save them and be the cash cow
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
I'm sure they were banking on Marine world aka 6 flags aka animal kingdom, aka whatever the **** you wanna call it now try to save them and be the cash cow
amusement parks are not as popular as in the past, they will probably die off within 15years.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
amusement parks are not as popular as in the past, they will probably die off within 15years.
I haven't been there in years...infact probably at least 10yrs. I went there for the animals and of course there's not much of them there anymore.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
Poor money management. Retirement plans are a known cost and should of been planned accordingly. I went to the Maritime Academy in V-town and to be honest I don't think I went to the new downtown more than 5 times during my 4 years there(grad 07). I know the city was banking on the Fair Grounds to attracting mall developers, but wonder if that is ever going to happen. Also, you used to have to drive threw Vallejo when you went on 37. Now, they have a bypass that connects straight to 80. That might be hurting them a little. But overall, our economy is not doing too well.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by SSFWRX
So what do you propose? No retirement for people who earned it?

The retirement amount in dollars im sure was calculated long ago. They simply overspent and didnt manage their money correctly elsewhere. Pretty ****ed up to make it seem like the people who worked there 20+ years in contract for their retirement shouldnt get it. Thats one of the reasons this country is going to hell in a handbasket.
Spoken like a true union and/or government employee. No one could have possibly predicted the double-digit annual cost increases in health care over the past two decades and it is usually the health portion of pension benefits that kill large corporations and government agencies.

I grew up in Michigan and saw auto industry machinists with GEDs making >$100K/yr back in the early 90s, never paying a cent for healthcare (despite smoking and being 50+ pounds overweight), and getting fat pensions to boot. Now all of their fat, lazy, uneducated kids and grandkids are *****ing that they can't get a job that pays more than $10/hr because all of the manufacturing jobs have been shipped overseas.

People expecting fat pensions for staying in the same bureaucratic job for 20+ years are the real reason this country is going to hell in a handbasket.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:12 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
QFT Jimbo
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Spoken like a true union and/or government employee. No one could have possibly predicted the double-digit annual cost increases in health care over the past two decades and it is usually the health portion of pension benefits that kill large corporations and government agencies.

I grew up in Michigan and saw auto industry machinists with GEDs making >$100K/yr back in the early 90s, never paying a cent for healthcare (despite smoking and being 50+ pounds overweight), and getting fat pensions to boot. Now all of their fat, lazy, uneducated kids and grandkids are *****ing that they can't get a job that pays more than $10/hr because all of the manufacturing jobs have been shipped overseas.

People expecting fat pensions for staying in the same bureaucratic job for 20+ years are the real reason this country is going to hell in a handbasket.
QFT x2!

Speaketh the truth!