Ultimate RallyX car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 10:25 PM

Car Info: '04 STi - RallyX beast
Question Ultimate RallyX car?

So with the RallyX season fast approaching and me being able to actually race in the whole season, I'm stuck with a dilema: how to set up the ultimate RallyX car. The car we're starting with is a 04 STi w/ vishnu stage2. I'll have all the power I need... actually more power than I need probably. So these are the questions I'm trying to answer:

* how much power to I realisticly need? 200whp did me pretty well with the WRX, 220whp was workable with the first race in the STi. How much is too much?

* traction: I don't want to go into open class so we're not going to go with gravel tires. Do I want wide or narrow... gravel perfomance (M+S tires) or clay performance (sticky rubber)? what's the best tire within the regulation .25 groove width?

* tranny: short shifter? redline oil? groupN mounts and bushings?

* steering: definately bushing, different ratio? ALK?

* brakes: should I get WRX calipers and rotors? ..it'd save weight and allow more wheel choices. better e-brake options?

the question is: can I over come my lack of driving ability with technology and force air and beat Hoche?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i'd think that a Stage 2 STi would have plenty of power for Rally-X, if not too much unless you're running in an Open Class.

tire choice depends on what sort of surface you're running on. if its a loose top layer on top of a hard bottom layer, you're going to want narrower tires. they'll cut through the top, and bite on the lower layer. for loose surfaces without a hard bottom layer a couple inches down, wider tires with lower pressures are the way to go.

as for the tranny, group-n mounts, busings and redline or moutl oil all sound good to me. i'd do that for a street car too though.

steering bushings will make a huge differance, and the ALK will be noticeable. a new rack is $$$, and might not be legal i'd imagine.

what are you running for suspension?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
yeah really, this can't be at stock ride height...
Old 04-01-2004, 01:34 AM

Car Info: 1942 ford pinto
get a really big spoiler.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:42 AM

remove ABS fuse
Old 04-01-2004, 09:36 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally posted by pcowan

the question is: can I over come my lack of driving ability with technology and force air and beat Hoche?
no you can't

a good driver in a piece of crap can beat a n00b driver in a rally-preped car.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
and Hoche is a damn fine driver, as has been proven the last couple of years. What I'm planning on doing this year for the rallyX setup is going with more tarmac-like settings, since there aren't a lot of big bumps to have to soak up. Basically low CG and semi-stiff suspension setup, to allow for some mechanical grip (if that term can even be made to apply on the clay out at Thill), and count on my tires to hook up when I can get them pointed in a straight line. As we've seen in the past, power does not necessarily equal speed on the rallyX course.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by platypus
and Hoche is a damn fine driver, as has been proven the last couple of years.
indeed... maybe what I really need to do is crank back to 0psi and run the STi NA... it works for Hoche

What I'm planning on doing this year for the rallyX setup is going with more tarmac-like settings, since there aren't a lot of big bumps to have to soak up. Basically low CG and semi-stiff suspension setup, to allow for some mechanical grip (if that term can even be made to apply on the clay out at Thill), and count on my tires to hook up when I can get them pointed in a straight line. As we've seen in the past, power does not necessarily equal speed on the rallyX course.
Which is why I was asking about the power. I can scale it back to whatever it should be... how much power is too much for RallyX?

tire choice depends on what sort of surface you're running on.
what are you running for suspension?
The surface is mostly clay with dirt/gravel around the edges and on top. The suspension is stock STi right now.
So here's a radical thought: if I go with much stiffer springs and take off the swaybar, will that help keep tires in better contact with the surface under cornering?

a good driver in a piece of crap can beat a n00b driver in a rally-preped car.
Hey Hoche, he's calling your OBS a piece of crap! You gonna take that?

Last edited by pcowan; 04-01-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by e-brakin
Decals, pete... lots of decals. Hoche won't stand a chance.
sweet!! I hadn't even thought of stickers. What's kanji for "insert witty phrase here"?

Seriously though, would a brake change (stock wrx from big brembos) bump you into SSM4?
sucks 'cause I was thinking to do the same thing and go w/ a smaller wheel, higher sidewall tire.

I think with a new turbo, chip, injectors, fuel pump and turbo back exhaust I'll be in SSM4 anyway.

Anyway - how is stage2 treating you?
I'm pretty much at stage 1.6 now (injectors are on back order), but it's very fast. On my way home from Vishnu last night I had my friend following my in his tuned 911 cab... he had a hard time keeping up on both the straights and the curves.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

stiffer springs with no roll bars... hmm...

stiffer springs will act to resist weight transfer via roll centers, so that will result in less overall weight transfer, which will get you a more stable car as you transition between brake/gas and left/right. This would be a good thing in that the car should be more predictable in handling, even on dirt (you should get less of a "whiplash" effect, especially in cornering. Stiffer springs (for thunderhill rallycross) would probably be good.

Now, removing the roll bars will allow more range of motion for the suspension, effectively adding some to the weight transfer via roll centers on the car, so it would cancel out some of the gains you're seeing from the springs, but it will allow for greater "articulation" in the suspension which could easily allow the tires to retain a better contact patch with the ground, allowing for (potentially) better accelleration and braking on the dirt.

my take: springs - good idea, no roll bar - maybe go with a smaller one rather than none at all.

This clearly calls for some science to be done.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:36 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
completely removing or simply disconnecting the sway bar on a car is an old off-roaders trick. you'll get a lot more suspension articulation, but at the cost of a lot of body roll. this is only of benefit on really slow, rough terrain where you need lots of artiulation to gain grip, but aren't going fast enough to cause big dynamic weight shifts. based on my experience driving 4wd vehicles without a sway bar, i'd reccomned finding a smaller bar rather than removing or disconnecting the stock one.

i think that stiffer springs used in conjunction with a smaller diameter sway bar will offer a better and more predictable ride on the surfaces you'll be racing on.

depending on how deep the gravel on top of the clay is, i'd be tempted to try running thinner tires in the hope that they'd cut through the gravel and grab into the clay.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

2 out of 2 self styled suspension experts agree - smaller is bettAr!

edit: grap on my spelling
Old 04-01-2004, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
I need a beer
Old 04-04-2004, 10:39 PM

Location: 1999 OBS, 1985 GTI rallycar, 1995 Miata trackcar, 2001 Ford E350 van
Car Info: 1999 OBS
My OBS isn't a piece of cr... oh wait.

Nevermind.

Quick Reply: Ultimate RallyX car?