Tuning without AP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
ya dont worry about it.. it is out in the country somewere, the road is all newly repaved.. and ya you are the driver, and he is the tuner.. and like 04caliwrx said it, its just 3 gear pulls.. well it was for me anyway... i believe in Eq tuning, and all the work they have done for me, ive learned my lesson, from now on my car goes to eq tuning... just imagine how fun the drive home for you will be... and about the "ticket" your talking about... i wouldnt worry about that while with Ed, I'd worry more about it on your way home because of your new found power!!! HAHAHA!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Eds getting a dyno soon too (although I prefer the road tuning!!)
Old 12-04-2009, 01:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Road tuning is not for everyone and I fully understand your concern. That being said, we do it in the safest possible area and conditions aside from being on a closed test track. None of my customers have ever received a speeding ticket while tuning in the past 6.5 years I've been in business. Finally, if you still feel uncomfortable driving for the tune, we can always have one of the techs drive the car instead.

Please give us a call or shoot me a PM if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
My first experience with any shop in the subi community was at EQTuning. I had got a turbo back exhaust, up pipe, and was looking for a tune. I had no idea what I was getting This concept of full throttle scared the **** out of me. Scooby newbie would have been an over statement.

Anyway, I drove while Ed did his road tune. It was several hours very well spent and I loved the results.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
+1 to ed. I've tuned with him several times on a 2.0 and a 2.5 setup. It takes around 15 minutes into the boonies to get to the location. A good majority of it has fresh Tarmac. You have plenty of road for pulls and cooldown. The only factor is your own skill. If you can safely drive on the freeway, this will be no problem for you. If not, lemme know and I'll drive it for you haha. Any questions, pm me. I'd be happy to share my experiences.
-J
Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by pignoseWRX
if you're brave enough... tactrix + romraider.

if you want to leave it to the pros call EQ for a non-AP tune.

also, with the AP you don't HAVE to get a $400 tune. their OTS maps are generally very safe.
this. You can get a tactrix for $100 or so and learning isn't very hard (but you need to be decent with a computer).

There are also many maps available you can download for the different stages, so if you're running a typical stage 1 or 2 setup you can just download a stg1/2 map.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
Ed at EQ did an open source tune for me and i love it. $400 for the tune, if u need it reflashed back to stock for any reason, he'll do it for free. Very legit, only thing about open source is that if u add additional parts, ull have to get it re-tuned for the new parts.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 07 STi, 02 F150-FX4, 04 ZX-636, 07 990 SuperDuke
Originally Posted by Dnayukns
Ed at EQ did an open source tune for me and i love it. $400 for the tune, if u need it reflashed back to stock for any reason, he'll do it for free. Very legit, only thing about open source is that if u add additional parts, ull have to get it re-tuned for the new parts.
That's true with any tuning method: ECUTek, AP, or OS/RomRaider.

If you have the skills, time, and money to do your own tune, I'd say to go opensource. Moneywise you'd be purchasing an OBD-II cable, and if you want to do it the right way, a wideband sensor. The disadvantage of tuning it yourself is that you may have a greater chance of grenading your engine if you don't understand what you are doing.

My recommendation for those who don't want to take the chance and whom do want instant gratification is to just go with a trusted and reliable tuner. One that tunes OpenSource is always a plus .
Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
in my personal opinion, an opensource is a good idea if you're only going to tune once. if you're planning on getting heavier mods in the future and know that you're going to need more tunes in the future, get an ap.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Actually the only time I really recommend the AP is for people who will be running multiple maps like race gas, meth injection, E-85, etc. For those people the AP provides a convenient way to switch between maps. Otherwise most people end up not using the AP after the tune.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 12-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
i really wana learn the tactrix cable method but i'm too scared i'll blow up my car.. plus all that computer language doesn't make sense to me..
Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Car Info: 07 STi, 02 F150-FX4, 04 ZX-636, 07 990 SuperDuke
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Actually the only time I really recommend the AP is for people who will be running multiple maps like race gas, meth injection, E-85, etc. For those people the AP provides a convenient way to switch between maps. Otherwise most people end up not using the AP after the tune.

Thanks
-- Ed
+1. On the fly switching of maps and "ram tuning" is a nice thing to have but not necessary. It's nice that the Tactrix 2.0 cable will now allow you to log to SD Card directly without the need for a computer to be plugged in.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM

Car Info: 2006 sti
eq ftw.the road is in vacaville,is super flat and 90% of the traffic is tractors.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 subaru impreza wrx STi
road tuning is pretty safe..... like stated in pervious posts the tuner only goes to a safe location he is familiar with. as for me iam using an AP. its worth the 600 bucks. you can have a tuner make you a map for whatever fuel you want. as of right now iam running a 200 octane map, but when i dont feel like paying an arm and a leg for gas i can swap to 91 octane when i need to fill up again. i really like having the option of what map i wanna run depending on what kind of driving i will be doing.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by l ANTHONY FTW l
road tuning is pretty safe..... like stated in pervious posts the tuner only goes to a safe location he is familiar with. as for me iam using an AP. its worth the 600 bucks. you can have a tuner make you a map for whatever fuel you want. as of right now iam running a 200 octane map, but when i dont feel like paying an arm and a leg for gas i can swap to 91 octane when i need to fill up again. i really like having the option of what map i wanna run depending on what kind of driving i will be doing.
That's a perfect example of someone who truly benefits from, and use the AP to its full potential!

-- Ed

Quick Reply: Tuning without AP?