TSA Has A 95 Percent Failure Rate For Finding Bombs And Weapons

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:27 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
TSA Has A 95 Percent Failure Rate For Finding Bombs And Weapons

As a frequent business traveler this pisses me off. I knew they were bad, but not THIS BAD. Every time I fly, it seems they are more concerned in harassing and power tripping at non-frequent flyer patrons than actually doing any sort of a job.

Just like with any government protectionist initiative...le sigh...

The TSA Has A 95 Percent Failure Rate For Finding Bombs And Weapons

BREAKING NEWS: The Transportation Security Administration isn’t good for anything except laughing at your flabby naked body and molesting disabled children. If you want to know what a wasteful joke of security theater the administration really is, look no further than a new report that shows how often they failed to find bombs and weapons undercover agents tried to smuggle onto planes.

The agents were part of a group called “Red Team,” trained to be really-smart pretend “super terrorists” who, if they were real, would be competent enough to blow up a plane if they wanted to. Unlike, say, the TSA, which is only competent at being ****ing terrible all of the time.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
oh snap
Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 AM

This reply to the article does not make me feel any better...

I have been a TSA officer for almost 8 years. I can think of a number of reasons for this failure rate.

First, the job is NOT easy. You only become proficient through experience, and the high turnover guarantees that officers are less experienced than they should be.

So why is there such a high turnover? The reasons are structural. First, officers are usually hired on a part time basis, with a promise of full time employment later. But it could take a long time, even years, for a full time position to open up. One cannot make a living working 25 hours a week. Couple that with inconvenient shift times (shifts are seniority bid), and you have a recipe for a young immature workforce that leaves for better opportunities after a year or two. With an improving job market this is becoming more of a problem.

Second, TSA is truly a miserable dysfunctional and hostile place to work, with harassing, bullying, firings for trivial reasons such as workplace injuries and pregnancy, requesting FMLA, and gross misconduct by management. For example, at my airport, managers were changing PASS scores, which are used to award performance bonuses, after they and their supervisors signed off on them. After officers discovered this and complained their scores were restored, but the managers responsible are still working there. Why would they do that? Well, THEIR performance bonuses are based on how much money they saved the company. Yes, TSA is run like a company, and not like any other government agency. The leadership is truly terrible. This and the short staffing resulting from the high turnover rates has resulted in a cynical and demoralized workforce finding their jobs increasingly intolerable.

That brings me to a second reason. Management is pressuring supervisors, and supervisors are pressuring officers, to go faster and faster. TSA is caving to demands by stakeholders (airlines and airport authorities) to reduce wait times at the expense of security. Two weeks ago at my airport management suspended AIT body entirely and pushed everyone through the old metal detectors when lines got too long. When officers expressed shock and disbelief at this, we were told that the decision was made by upper management and that we were to not worry about it.

This demand for speed, and the short staffing resulting from the high turnover, has resulted in harried officers doing cursory patdowns at the AIT body scanners. I, as a mature and experienced officer, feel comfortable ignoring the supervisors’ freakouts over the long lines and doing a proper, thorough patdown. Younger, less experienced officers may not.

And things are going to get worse. TSA is greatly expanding its Managed Inclusion program whereby more passengers are randomly admitted to the Pre Check lines. In fact, soon most lines at the checkpoint will be expedited screening.

I am convinced that this state of affairs is intentional. Remember that TSA was created during the Bush administration, and the last thing they wanted to do was create another 50,000 permanent government workers. I think that TSA was structured to be privatized, and handed over to whatever politically connected company is first in line. Rep. John Mica (R-Fla), TSA’s most outspoken critic in Congress, represents the company that performs privatized screening operations at some airports. Why Rep. John Mica Really Wants To Privatize The TSA ? Corruption, Agendas & Personal Financial Gain - Flying With Fish - Flying With Fish...

So for TSA to keep looking bad in the media furthers this agenda by creating a demand by the public and in Congress to privatize the whole mess.

The real solution is to treat TSA officers as skilled professionals, with pay and benefits, and job security and level of respect commensurate with the importance of the job. This would require a restructuring of the agency away from the business model and towards a Customs or law enforcement model.

I don’t see that happening.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:53 AM

Car Info: DGM STI
Double edged sword on this one. On one hand, I'm a business traveler too and I already think current measures compared to 15+ years ago are a pain in the ***/hassle. I miss the days when you could go from the curb to your gate in 10 minutes.

On the other hand, I hate the media and how much they sensationalize bull****. You could train someone with down syndrome to do what the average TSA agent does. The damn media doesn't need to tell us what we already know while sending a clear boldfaced invitation to the wrong people to start hurrying up on doing whatever bad things they were planning on doing.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
This reply to the article does not make me feel any better...
Agreed
Old 06-04-2015, 09:20 PM

I used to work for tsa(notice how i dont capitalize) and everything that guy said in his response is true. After 12 years of existance the screeners that you see in the airport are the mutants of society that couldn't move along to another better government agency. Management does not care about security, all they care about is pleasing the airlines to move people through the line faster so the flight wont be delayed. The absolutely have to be privatized that way they can fire the mutants that can't do the job, very hard to fire a government employee.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Not a frequent traveler, but going through US security SUCKS. Takes forever, and the agents there don't even look like they care about what they're doing.

Originally Posted by buckeyemike75
all they care about is pleasing the airlines to move people through the line faster so the flight wont be delayed.
I'm sorry, but I call BS on this portion, because the last time I went through SFO, it took nearly 1hr getting through, and the line wasn't even that long. I'd understand if I was backed up to the door, but there was probably 30people in front of me.

I wouldn't care for this inconvenience if security did actually work to an extent, but when it's just an nuisance AND does't work, thats BS. I read that they got 67/70 banned items through the system. That's 4.3% accuracy! And reading that TSA gets $540 million for "security" measures... The government is just burning money.....
Old 06-05-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
I'm sorry, but I call BS on this portion, because the last time I went through SFO, it took nearly 1hr getting through, and the line wasn't even that long. I'd understand if I was backed up to the door, but there was probably 30people in front of me.
I am the first person to throw TSA under the bus...but passengers play an equal role in the line speediness (not saying that was your case, but it never helps).

Even best trained agents are powerless against unprepared, clueless, oblivious and/or infrequent travelers that are trying to carry on 4 bags, with 3 undisciplined kids, wearing 2 outfits each, in full lace up shoes, belts that are holding up beer keg bellies, with unorganized liquids, inconveniently packed electronics, blah blah blah...while standing on some stupid principal trying to argue their point with a TSA agent...all of which take forever and a day.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Not a frequent traveler, but going through US security SUCKS. Takes forever, and the agents there don't even look like they care about what they're doing.

I wouldn't care for this inconvenience if security did actually work to an extent, but when it's just an nuisance AND does't work, thats BS. I read that they got 67/70 banned items through the system. That's 4.3% accuracy! And reading that TSA gets $540 million for "security" measures... The government is just burning money.....
It's no BS, once the line gets backed up the stakeholder(airlines) calls tsa management and demands tsa speed up, so tsa mgt will tell the supervisors to speed up the xray machine, dont do too many random searches etc, and you are only seeing one aspect of screening, in the back where your luggage goes, when it gets too busy tsa just lets most of the bags go unchecked to the plane, this was SOP the years i was there.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:41 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
How are you surprised that they fail this big? Have you seen the brain dead retards they hire for TSA? I mean really we are talking about ****ing idiots even McDonalds would turn down here.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
I can't find the official who said it just now, but when I was listening to an NPR piece on this, some dude said, with what sounded like a straight face, that TSA's internal auditors had an unfair advantage of being privy to TSA practices and procedures.

Oh please. All the better they know that, and that they find all manner of ways to hack and social engineer at them, until it's airtight even from within.

Closing personal anecdote: flew down to San Diego a few years back, which was actually the first time in my adult life I'd flown, ie: security was not on my mind at all. With this ignorance, I "managed to bring aboard," aka forgot that I had a pocket knife on my keychain, and didn't realize until returning that it had come along with me, as that's when they caught it. Made me throw it away too, sigh (was that or miss my flight trying to pack and mail it to myself).
Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I am the first person to throw TSA under the bus...but passengers play an equal role in the line speediness (not saying that was your case, but it never helps).

Even best trained agents are powerless against unprepared, clueless, oblivious and/or infrequent travelers that are trying to carry on 4 bags, with 3 undisciplined kids, wearing 2 outfits each, in full lace up shoes, belts that are holding up beer keg bellies, with unorganized liquids, inconveniently packed electronics, blah blah blah...while standing on some stupid principal trying to argue their point with a TSA agent...all of which take forever and a day.
Definitely agreed. Passengers definitely do play an equal role in how fast the security check point is, while, in theory, maximizing the efficiency of security for passengers.

Originally Posted by buckeyemike75
It's no BS, once the line gets backed up the stakeholder(airlines) calls tsa management and demands tsa speed up, so tsa mgt will tell the supervisors to speed up the xray machine, dont do too many random searches etc, and you are only seeing one aspect of screening, in the back where your luggage goes, when it gets too busy tsa just lets most of the bags go unchecked to the plane, this was SOP the years i was there.
It does make sense that airlines do call and demand TSA to speed up the process, but I feel some of the workers there just don't give a damn and continue to work at the same rate even when told to speed up. Maybe i'm wrong, but that's my opinion based on my experience.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
How are you surprised that they fail this big? Have you seen the brain dead retards they hire for TSA? I mean really we are talking about ****ing idiots even McDonalds would turn down here.
You are 100% correct, the only people who work for tsa are old retirees looking to work a part time gig in their retirement and recent high school graduates. i was at oakland airport and as you can imagine the hiring pool was from "oakland" who recently graduated, you can imagine what kind of employee you get, but since the shift started at 0400 they didnt last long. What people really dont see is the screeners in the back checking luggage, tsa knows they are mutants and keeps them in the back out of sight, because they truly cant interact with the public.

I can honestly say that 10% are decent workers, the other 90% you see truly couldnt get another job anywhere, because if they could they would, noboby wants to work for tsa for long because it truly sucks.