Transmission rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by PROcede
So what gears are the 08+ WRX 5spds using? Ive seen two cars with 472wtq before they actually broke. 3rd gear shattered tooth. Other then that everyone on nasioc running e85 is pushing 400wtq reliability including myself.

The ratios are the same, but the part numbers are different and I remember being told that fitment was different as well.

Even Andrewtech has told me that my transmission is a time bomb.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
The gears aren't the main problem to transmission failure..that case flex the 5 speeds get under heavy torque is the problem. When you're under load the gears basically separate and that's when you strip the gears. A brace like the Moore performance blast plates seem to be a good upgrade for those who want some peace of mind. I would definitely put them on mine if I had the money.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by awdorgtfo
The gears aren't the main problem to transmission failure..that case flex the 5 speeds get under heavy torque is the problem. When you're under load the gears basically separate and that's when you strip the gears. A brace like the Moore performance blast plates seem to be a good upgrade for those who want some peace of mind. I would definitely put them on mine if I had the money.
I bought those blast plates and have yet to get them installed, because you need to drop the transmission to install them. Just a heads up.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up. May get them when I put in a new clutch now. There's a pretty decent group buy on them on nasioc right now. May I ask how much you paid for yours? You can pm me if you don't want to tell the world.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM

lol, I'm on the pre-production group buy list on Nazioc, so the whole world knows anyway.

It was $265+shipping, so I think $280.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I don't see anyone else saying it so I will... What the **** is up with these blast plates? There is exactly ZERO evidence that they have any effect at all, and there are a ton of people saying they want one or would put it on their car if they could.

I like MSI products and they are a good company, but I'd like some proof that the product works before I go through the trouble (2-4 hours labor) and cost (~$300 for the plates) of putting them on my own car.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
EDIT: Totally forgot about the reason part of your question. Tranny was whining for a long time and not just a small whine, it was loud as **** and last time I drove it on the freeway, it felt like the rear end was trying to catch up with the car. Thats the only way I can explain what was going on. Car still drives but at 180k (i think or was it 170k), I think a rebuild is in due anyway. Need to get it up on the rack and pulled off and opened up to determine the real cause but Id rather go in fully prepared.
Originally Posted by runboyrun
I dont mean to thread jack, but when do you know its time to replace a transmission before it blows to pieces? Because mine makes all sorts of different noises.
You'd be amazed at what some redline shockproof, subaru extra-s, or uncle scotty's cocktail will do to improve a transmission.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
I don't see anyone else saying it so I will... What the **** is up with these blast plates? There is exactly ZERO evidence that they have any effect at all, and there are a ton of people saying they want one or would put it on their car if they could.

I like MSI products and they are a good company, but I'd like some proof that the product works before I go through the trouble (2-4 hours labor) and cost (~$300 for the plates) of putting them on my own car.
Honestly, I am just trying to put as many "safety nets" as I can to protect my transmission. I guess you could say, it scared me when I first heard the WRX had a "glass tranny" since even before I've owned mine. Hence why I still have a TMIC to limit power, a stock clutch to reduce potential driveline shock, stock size wheels/tires to not change tranny ratios, changing tranny fluid often, not completely driving like an idiot, etc. I'd like to believe (and this can just be me dreaming) it's because of these precautions, my tranny is working wonderfully at 130k+ miles and running 280+hp since it was basically bought off the dealership.

As you said, there really hasn't been any strong evidence of it doing anything, and Moore Performance was supposedly testing them on different cars, but I've never seen the results. As I previously posted, I jumped in on the pre-production groupbuy, and you win sometimes, you lose sometimes. However, if the blast plates do anything at all, it'll be worth the small investment over a new transmission. Sorry to not be able to answer your question, though.

The original idea came way back in '08 if you care for a read. It's kind of long, and I only glossed over it.

5mt case reinforcement is go - NASIOC

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 01-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by thejordan
You'd be amazed at what some redline shockproof, subaru extra-s, or uncle scotty's cocktail will do to improve a transmission.
I tried scottys coctail. it made it quieter for a bit before it became really loud. my tranny was whining for well over 6 months before it ended up where its at now.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Brfatal
That's false. The FXT has it's own gears, and the +08 WRX doesn't have LGT gears either. The reason FXT gears are so great is because the gear ratios reduce shock loading compared to WRX transmissions. Tooth width is not the full picture.

However your page does reinforce what I said about older LGT gears being roughly the equivalent of V6 non-RAs.
Older LGT gears? You mean 05-09?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 AM

MSI is not Moore Performance.

Also..I thought about putting the cocktail in my trans and I have heard some bad ****. But who knows what their situation was..
I just put some valvoline non synthetic in mine over the weekend and it shifts much smoother through all gears.

Last edited by awdorgtfo; 01-16-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM

MSI is not Moore Performance.

Also..I thought about putting the cocktail in my trans and I have heard some bad ****. But who knows what their situation was..
I just put some valvoline non synthetic in mine over the weekend and it shifts much smoother through all gears.
lol, oops, got confused with my lateral links and the blast plates... Both Moore, just different companies

I'll go fix my post...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz
Older LGT gears? You mean 05-09?
Yes.

The only thing USC is going to do is increase synco wear because it's corrosive. I run Redline LW Shockproof and Motul Gear oil.

To add to the confusion, there is a Moore Automotive around here who has also repeatedly tried to break into the Subaru scene.

Last edited by Brfatal; 01-16-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
Also..I thought about putting the cocktail in my trans and I have heard some bad ****. But who knows what their situation was...
From my experience, only people who abuse their car have issues with their 5 speeds.

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
I tried scottys coctail. it made it quieter for a bit before it became really loud. my tranny was whining for well over 6 months before it ended up where its at now.
Try all redline shockproof and see if that will help it last a little longer.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Yes.
So the how is it not an upgrade?

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild questions