Transformers Movie Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:56 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
We saw the movie this morning and I was impressed. The special effects were absolutely seamless.

As someone who is old enough to have watched the original cartoons (during their first run ), I loved the little homages to the original.

All in all, a very fun and exciting movie
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Great movie, made me feel like I was a little kid watching them transform, love the transform sound effects.

I also was hoping my car would transform when I got back from the parking lot.
Maybe watching transformers as a kid made me a mod addict......transforming my stock car to something different
Old 07-08-2007, 12:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
So, is the movie any good?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
i just got a few copies on dvd...feels good to test out the capabilities of my surround sound and 42" lcd
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

didja get the HD DVD one?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM

nope...I know it would make a HUGE difference in quality. I get spoiled by watching hd channels. plus I don't have a hddvd player
Old 10-10-2007, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx
nope...I know it would make a HUGE difference in quality. I get spoiled by watching hd channels. plus I don't have a hddvd player
Tell me about it. I just picked up a new 1080p 56" Samsung, and as clear as upsampled DVDs are, the HD channels are spoiling me. With Transformers coming out in less than a week, I may just have to take the HDDVD plunge.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
I may just have to take the HDDVD plunge.
cheap way (and funner way) to go HD DVD is the xb0x 360 with the $200 add-on drive...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
cheap way (and funner way) to go HD DVD is the xb0x 360 with the $200 add-on drive...
cheap way?

xbox 360 = $350
hard drive = $180
total = $530 + tax

toshiba hd dvd player hd-a2 = $300 + tax

i know you cant play halo on your toshiba, but if youre not a gamer (like me) the tosh is a better deal.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 AM

Car Info: '00 S2K, '10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
i just pick up a Sony Bravia V-Series 40" LCD yesterday. i was hoping to test it out w/ Transformer. is it true there are no B-Ray? if so who dropped the ball on that....
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM

Car Info: 2016 Red WRX
a few months ago the HD-DVD camp cut a deal with the studio releasing Transformers (forgot the name) to be HD-DVD exclusive. Michael Bay (the director) FLIPPED. but he has no choice in the matter. If it came out on Blu-ray i'd get it. I guess I gotta settle for the dvd.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx
cheap way?

xbox 360 = $350
hard drive = $180
total = $530 + tax

toshiba hd dvd player hd-a2 = $300 + tax

i know you cant play halo on your toshiba, but if youre not a gamer (like me) the tosh is a better deal.
hence the FUNNER comments.

i just found another way to use my 360. use it as a media center extender (for my vista media center).

another source for HD.

plus now, MS gives an extended warranty to the 360 for 3 years...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ldivinag
hence the FUNNER comments.

i just found another way to use my 360. use it as a media center extender (for my vista media center).

another source for HD.

plus now, MS gives an extended warranty to the 360 for 3 years...
I was going to go the add-on drive route as I already have a 360 hooked up via VGA (so I get full 1080p), but I'm not comfortable with the fan noise levels from the 360 (especially since I have an external fan added on to the back which sounds like a jet taking off). So, I may be going the standalone route if there are any good deals during the holidays, we'll see.

How do you like HD DVD? Worth the upgrade on a 1080p set? My DVD player already upconverts, but I only sit about 7' away from a 56" screen, so any imperfections are much more obvious than my old smaller 720p TV. I've already spent a good amount on the system and don't mind spending a bit more for the best HD rig possible if an HD DVD rig really will help.

It's sad to admit, but ordering in and watching a good movie with the GF is literally my favorite way to relax, so in my mind this is all money very well spent. The problem now is upgrading my 500+ DVD library to HD DVD. :/

Last edited by bassplayrr; 10-11-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
I was going to go the add-on drive route as I already have a 360 hooked up via VGA (so I get full 1080p), but I'm not comfortable with the fan noise levels from the 360 (especially since I have an external fan added on to the back which sounds like a jet taking off). So, I may be going the standalone route if there are any good deals during the holidays, we'll see.
fan noise? what's that? are you watching a movie of a funeral? lol...

crank it up and you wont hear any fan noise...

How do you like HD DVD? Worth the upgrade on a 1080p set? My DVD player already upconverts, but I only sit about 7' away from a 56" screen, so any imperfections are much more obvious than my old smaller 720p TV. I've already spent a good amount on the system and don't mind spending a bit more for the best HD rig possible if an HD DVD rig really will help.
first thing i got was a copy of APOLLO 13 since i already have the it on DVD.

i A/B tested them. while not like VHS to DVD comparisons, the biggest test is a the PAUSE test and there is clearer screenshots on HD DVD...

i've been sold on HD DVD and blu rays since i first heard about 3-4 years ago during CES...

i am sold on any HD sources

but dont forget, video is only half of any HT design. take into consideration the audio as well...

It's sad to admit, but ordering in and watching a good movie with the GF is literally my favorite way to relax, so in my mind this is all money very well spent. The problem now is upgrading my 500+ DVD library to HD DVD. :/
dont be sad to admit that...

since i have no family or a life, i like to go to the movie theaters a lot. and unfortunately, watching movies in the theaters arent as good as an experience as they used to be.

i like to watch network shows more than movies in HD to tell you the truth. one, they are free... lol...

i hate buying or renting movies that i already have seen in the theaters. but some i'll make an exception to, like TRANSFORMERS since i saw it in the crappiest way ever, front row seats... plus i'd like to pause when the megan chick gets on the screen...

if i were you though, i would wait, until both the HD DVD and blu ray camps get off their collective asses and hammer out a deal where the 2 technologies would merge.

earlier this year, i saw LG release the first combo player during the CES in january.

i saw such high hopes for lots of other companies. or even a merger between the 2.

around june, i even predicted that my xmas 2007, there will be so much combo players that my head would spin.

then the SHTF... blockbuster, in their infinite wisdom decided to adopt blu ray as their official next gen HD...

crap...

imo, that literally put the second to the last nail in the HD DVD coffin.

microsoft (and in part, toshiba) though, aint taking lying down. good for them.

but i still think that blu ray will win in the end and now, xmas 2008, we will see a single format for the high def 5" optical disc format...
Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

Yeah, when I had the 720p TV I swore I would hold of on choosing an HD media until there was a clear winner. This new unit is making me less patient, however.

It's funny that you mention the Blockbuster deal as "a nail in the coffin" against HD DVD because the HD DVD crowd views the Paramount endorsement of HD DVD ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20360863/ ) as the same for Blu-Ray. There are more movies that I enjoy currently available and coming to HD DVD than there are for Blu-Ray, so I'm pulling for HD DVD. More patience with this issue is probably the best idea. When I was a kid my family was a Betamax family. That's not a mistake I'm looking to duplicate myself.

Quick Reply: Transformers Movie Review