Traffic Ticket Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 96 gm(sold), 98 bk, 02 sf
Red face Traffic Ticket Help

I need some help with my traffic ticket.
I was being stupid on 580 and hit 90 on a downhill stretch ( I know, bad ).
I need some help reading my ticket.
The officer asked me how fast I was going and I admitted that I was going 90. He said he would let me off with a ticket for 70 because it was my first ticket. I am confused about the ticket because on the ticket it says "paced @ 90mph", but then below it says "speed approx. 70", so I was wondering what I would be ticketed.
Also even worse, it was in a construction zone (I know, GENIUS ), but on the ticket says nothing about it, so would the court know from the description of the area?
Lastly, at the red outlined box, where you are supposed to sign, it says "without admitting guilt, I promise to appear at the time and place indicated below". Just for clarification, I do not have to show up to court right?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM

Car Info: .
Whats the CVC #?

Doubtful the court will know about a construction zone unless noted by the officer.

If you pay the fine when they mail you your 'courtesy' notice then you don't have to go to court.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM

The cvc number is 22349 (a) and the box is checked no. The number may be off since it isn't very clear.

Does anyone happen to know how much I might have to pay?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Car Info: .
That "paced at 90" thing may come back to haunt you. See what comes to you in the mail. You're probably looking at a few hundred bucks.

Exceeding Maximum Speed Limit

California Vehicle Code 22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following apply:

(1) A two-lane, undivided highway is a highway with not more than one through lane of travel in each direction.

(2) Passing lanes may not be considered when determining the number of through lanes.

(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that there be reasonable signing on affected two-lane, undivided highways described in subdivision (b) in continuing the 55 miles-per-hour speed limit, including placing signs at county boundaries to the extent possible, and at other appropriate locations.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 04 java black pearl sti/06 honda ruckus
as I work for the courts in contra costa county I see tickets specifically marked with" construction zone" so as far a that you should be fine, and I got a ticket for 96 in a 65 and it was 370 dollars and a 30 day lisence suspention, but. If you apper before the judge it will get reduced, at least here it does..
Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
obviously the officer was being nice, and let you off at 70mph, so the construction zone wont be known by anyone else.

Its ok, it happens to all of us. My first was 85 in a 45 (empty 4 lane hwy) then 18 months later 83 in 65 then 17 months and 24 days later (6 days shy of 18 months lol) 80+ in 65

i dont speed anymore, solely because of gas LMAO
Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 PM

I teach traffic school in Shasta County.

First, don't worry about the construction zone. The Vehicle Code states that it's only double fine "when workers are present".

Second, the officer did you a huge favor for not writing you for over 80mph. The fines for speeding are based on 15mph increments. 1 to 15 over = X$, 16 to 30 over = 2X$, etc.

Third, you don't need to appear in court as long as you pay before that date. You need to either go to the court's traffic court clerk and pay or some have a phone system where you can pay by credit card. When you pay you are admitting guilt and a point will go on your driving record. Or you can request traffic school if you haven't been in 18 months (you said this was your first ticket) and the point won't go on your record. If you choose traffic school the court charges you an administration fee of around $25 to $ 40 and you pay the traffic school a fee also. Usually $25 to $40. Some courts allow online traffic school but if you go to a real "brick and mortar" school you'll learn a lot more and can ask questions that are important to you.

Last point, The court clerk doesn't care if you were "paced @ 90mph". They just want your money and a typical fine is around $150 for speeding. The amount does vary from county to county. Your total cost for this will often be $200 or more but it's still cheaper than if the point goes on your record for 3 years due to increased insurance.

Good Luck!
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Car Info: nothing right now
Damn, already?

You sure don't waste any time, haha.

Just listen to jpdriver's advice, spot-on.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
And do for sure go for traffic school....

$65 might seem like a lot to spend to keep one measly point off your record, but at your age one point might mean as much as a couple thousand a year in insurance premiums....
Old 09-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
damn what did your parents say lol
Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
sounds to me like you got lucky.

Keep an eye out for your courtesy notice. It should tell you what your fine is and give you a date.

You don't have to appear unless you wish to contest.

If you don't want to contest which in this case I don't think you should.. send in your check by the date on your courtesy notice.

Request traffic school.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM

lol, my dad was in the car (I was driving his car, since he doesn't like driving at night), he wasn't really pissed since he said he would have probably done the same thing.

The cop said something about traffic school and all you guys did too, do I have to go to court to request traffic school? or can I request it when I get the fine in the mail?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by y0ungsubi3
I need some help with my traffic ticket.
I was being stupid on 580 and hit 90 on a downhill stretch ( I know, bad ).
I need some help reading my ticket.
The officer asked me how fast I was going and I admitted that I was going 90. He said he would let me off with a ticket for 70 because it was my first ticket. I am confused about the ticket because on the ticket it says "paced @ 90mph", but then below it says "speed approx. 70", so I was wondering what I would be ticketed.
Also even worse, it was in a construction zone (I know, GENIUS ), but on the ticket says nothing about it, so would the court know from the description of the area?
Lastly, at the red outlined box, where you are supposed to sign, it says "without admitting guilt, I promise to appear at the time and place indicated below". Just for clarification, I do not have to show up to court right?

Thanks in advance
how the hell did you get a 96 Impreza to 90 MPH??
Old 09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
how the hell did you get a 96 Impreza to 90 MPH??
dont you read dummy?!?!

it was a down hilll!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Originally Posted by sigma pi
dont you read dummy?!?!

it was a down hilll!
correction, he was in his dads carl ol

Quick Reply: Traffic Ticket Help