Trading in the STi

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Yeah I don't know man. I would just pick up a civic for 3k for daily driving. Keep that on street and keep the STI in the garage. The civic is very easy to drive/park and gets awesome gas mileage in the city. For the price of a new mustang you can have 2 cars.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
http://jalopnik.com/5619496/mustang-...edding-bargain

Not much info there. If it's real, will it retain warranty since it is a ford kit? The new 5.0 seems like a beast.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
Originally Posted by antonch
Yeah I don't know man. I would just pick up a civic for 3k for daily driving. Keep that on street and keep the STI in the garage. The civic is very easy to drive/park and gets awesome gas mileage in the city. For the price of a new mustang you can have 2 cars.
thats not bad advice, adding a civic to your insurance might actually lower it substantially, you should consider this option. Mine went down over 10% when i added my wifes corolla to my policy, and I drive a n/a impreza.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
hahahhahaha
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Car Info: '05 STI
Adding a second car would be a major pain! Street sweeping 3 days a week and NO parking everywhere. It would cost a lot more than you think.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
theres a mustang shop in hayward on mission blvd a few blocks before A street, super nice mustangs out there all the time
Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Going back to stock made me thankful for how good my mods and tune were together. My car is a LOT slower and less responsive than it was.

Headers/Downpipe/Full 3" back + Tune from Mike at GST

I'm driving a completely different car stock. I used to have problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, because it happened too fast...now it feels like I'm driving on EZ-Mode. I'm waiting for the RPMs to catch up to shift..when before I felt like the car was always waiting for me.

Speed Element was good as always. Few laughs and a few of Devin's bday cupcakes from the fridge....WAIT A SEC...WHEN WAS DEV'S BDAY??? Did I eat like 4 week old cupcakes? Damn.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
I ended up trading mine in. Haggling with craigslist was a nightmare, especially given the accident history on mine. I ended up getting close to my asking price as a trade in. Now I have a brand new 2010 Toyota Tundra Platinum Edition haha. Already put an exhaust on it, and couldn't be happier. 15k doesn't sound too bad as a trade in especially if your car is paid off.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM

read my mind

Originally Posted by antonch
Thats what I would do.... WHo cares about parking... park 10 blocks away if you have to... and jog home! Sti is worth the troubles...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by karis119
I ended up trading mine in. Haggling with craigslist was a nightmare, especially given the accident history on mine. I ended up getting close to my asking price as a trade in. Now I have a brand new 2010 Toyota Tundra Platinum Edition haha. Already put an exhaust on it, and couldn't be happier. 15k doesn't sound too bad as a trade in especially if your car is paid off.
how much was your tundra if ya dont mind sharing?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Remember that the mustang is the worst handling car in history! (ok, not in history, but its still bad).

Teach her how to drive your STi! Its not hard and wouldn't take much time!

Also, you can get an easy $350ish for that borla hush (assuming it has 50+k on it) and a stock STi catback is worth less than $100.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Remember that the mustang is the worst handling car in history! (ok, not in history, but its still bad).

Teach her how to drive your STi! Its not hard and wouldn't take much time!

Also, you can get an easy $350ish for that borla hush (assuming it has 50+k on it) and a stock STi catback is worth less than $100.
Did you even watch the Motor Trend video? That was a stock GT with (in my opinion) 2 extra inches of wheel well than it needs lol. My first mod will be springs/konis. In the written review, the editor was actually a half second faster in the Mustang. I'm not a pro driver, so I'm assuming I'd also be faster in the stang.

The STi is the hardest manual trans I've driven to be smooth in. It stalls easy, and the 1st-2nd gear is back and forth in city traffic too much for her. I'm also a little sick of explaining the wing, and hearing the comments about "ohh, you know who's known to drive Subarus don't you?"

The exhaust had around 50k miles on it. I wasn't interested in holding onto the mods and trying to squeeze the cash out of them. It hard enough holding on to that stock crap in anticipation of this day. I'm never doing that again. Anything I get from now on will either be CARB legal, or small enough to fit in a much smaller box lol. I moved about 4 times and had to lug those boxes around with me. Maybe I'll get a house with a garage next time
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Car Info: wrx02
New stang handles well. Yes, it's surprising.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 2017 Limited Edition BRZ
Originally Posted by jonp
Going back to stock made me thankful for how good my mods and tune were together. My car is a LOT slower and less responsive than it was.

Headers/Downpipe/Full 3" back + Tune from Mike at GST

I'm driving a completely different car stock. I used to have problems shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, because it happened too fast...now it feels like I'm driving on EZ-Mode. I'm waiting for the RPMs to catch up to shift..when before I felt like the car was always waiting for me.

Speed Element was good as always. Few laughs and a few of Devin's bday cupcakes from the fridge....WAIT A SEC...WHEN WAS DEV'S BDAY??? Did I eat like 4 week old cupcakes? Damn.
lol his bday was on the 23rd. you ate 2 day old cupcakes haha.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec B
I bought my car while I was living in the city, and I wish I had just pocketed the money at the time. Bumper scars on your car are not fun, and Muni services pretty much everywhere you need. Zipcars are affordable and convenient too. I understand wanting the independence of a car, but moving to the city is fun enough itself, why anchor yourself with a depreciating asset that won't get used much?

/Devil's advocate, as nobody seems to have mentioned it.

Quick Reply: Trading in the STi