Toyo Proxes T1S. Who has them and what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:25 PM

Toyo Proxes T1S. Who has them and what do you think?

Title says it all.

I'm considering buying a max performance tire. This one seems to be good. I just got a quote for $730 installed.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:36 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by n192da
Title says it all.

I'm considering buying a max performance tire. This one seems to be good. I just got a quote for $730 installed.
Fuzion ZRi=more grip.
1/3 the price.

They are rated an "ultra high performance" tire but that's because Bridgestone doesn't want you to know they're rebranded Potenza RE750s (or was it 050s?).

www.tirerack.com for like, $80 each.

T1-S have soft sidewalls and they don't grip as well as the original Pilot Sports. Therefore, I'd go with something else. The PS2 dominates them in grip and rides just as well.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:41 PM

A friend just got Pilot Sports on his WRX. I was ASTOUNDED at how well they gripped. I took it around several corners really hard, and flicked the car around with a force that would send me drifting on my stock RE92s... but it just held. Even when I could get it to break loose, it never wanted to let go (it seems like once you slide the RE92s, that's that).

So, needless to say, I'm sold on the Pilot Sports. But damn, they're expensive!

What's a set of S-03's cost installed, ballpark? (225/45/17)

What's the advantage of having a stiffer sidewall (humor me, I'm a tire noob!)

And also, is PS2 = Pilot Sport, or is it something else?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
it depends on what you want out of your tire. the T1-S are probably the best tire the wet, and have excellent dry grip. and the sidewalls are very soft, which makes for a comfortable ride. its very quiet, and the treadwear is good. a top notch street tire. but many complain that the sidewall is too soft for autoX/super aggressive driving. this was my initial concern as well, since i like stiff sidewalls. but the grip is so good it kinda makes up for it. thats why i say it depends on what you want. for daily driving its one of the best out there for the price.

at edgeracing.com http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/629/ they are selling it for $135 in 225-45-17. shipping is $70. thats about $610 total. take it to firestone for install $70 and thats $680 total. if you are getting the whole set for $730 which includes the warranty, then thats pretty good.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
well in tight corners they tend to let out a bite to much noise and there side walls dont hold up to to much abuse not to mention the traction pattern (very 80's)

but what do i know i never experianced these tires
HA!
edgar,
Old 05-24-2005, 02:52 PM

I'd say that the Goodyear Eagle F1s are the best wet tire. They are phenominal in the rain, and darn good when its dry.

A stiffer sidewall will deflect less under high load cornering. This makes high inertia cornering more predictable and helps maintain grip. Stiffer sidewalls will also make the ride stiffer.

*edit* Oh yeah, anything is better than RE92. You don't need pilot sports to feel a difference.

PS2 = Pilot Sport 2. Late last year Michelin redesigned the tread and upped the version to PS2.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Hmm... OK, it doesn't sound like it's the Toyos that I want. Instead, I guess it's going to be down to...

-Pilot Sport
-Pilot Sport 2
-Bridgestone Pole Position S-03
-??
Old 05-24-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aegon
PS2 = Pilot Sport 2. Late last year Michelin redesigned the tread and upped the version to PS2.
Not just the tread.

They made several changes to the tire. It's significantly lighter and it has a new compound in addition to new tread. It grips better than any other street tire, basically. 90% of people on OneLap of America were running PS2s.

Also I wouldn't get S03's. They have an ancient design and ride rougher than basically anything other than Falken Azenis or BFG KD's. That doesn't necessarily make them a bad tire; they just have sidewalls that require buns of steel and cost a lot more than Toyos.

If I were looking for the best street tire there is right now, it'd be the Pilot Sport PS2. If price were a concern, the Fuzions for $90 are a much better deal. Much, much better. They are made by Bridgestone and and sold under a different name.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:27 PM

Tires are a tradeoff. Pick what is important to you from this list:

lifespan
noise
performance
cost

Tell us what you want and we can help you find what you are looking for.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
the new falken azenis Rt615's are actually really good. there great in dry, better then the old 215's and they have better wet also.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I am sure they are better then falken ST-115 with their round *** edges.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by blue blurr
the new falken azenis Rt615's are actually really good. there great in dry, better then the old 215's and they have better wet also.
The wet on the new Azenis is better, but it's still sketchy. The other max performance summer tires do a much better job of this.

Also, the Azenis (old ones) are prone to overheating. While they are great for short stints like an autocross course, they can't stand track usage (they'll basically self-destruct when ya put them on a 3000lb behemoth instead of a Miata or whatever).

Kumho MX's are also a great tire. They have great treadlife and incredible grip. However, they are loud and have stiff sidewalls, just like the Azenis.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:29 PM

Car Info: GDA
I have 225/45/17 T1-S mounted to my SSR Competitions right now. They ride well, soft and quiet. However, the soft sidewalls suck! Coming from S-03's to these tires, I was sorely disappointed.

Go with S-03's or Micheline PS2's...skip the T1-S unless you need the extra grip on wet roads. My TE37's are due for another set of tires soon and I'm seriously considering PS2/S-03 for those rims. Whatever it is, it won't be T1-S.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Yin

Originally Posted by Aegon
Tires are a tradeoff. Pick what is important to you from this list:

lifespan
noise
performance
cost

Tell us what you want and we can help you find what you are looking for.
^ this is the correct way to approach the 'what tire should i get' question. answer some of those and you can go from there.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Yin

Originally Posted by n192da
Hmm... OK, it doesn't sound like it's the Toyos that I want. Instead, I guess it's going to be down to...

-Pilot Sport
-Pilot Sport 2
-Bridgestone Pole Position S-03
-??
all of these are significantly higher in price than the T1-S. i would put goodyear f1gsd3 in there also since they are close to the toyo's in price and offer better dry performance with equal wet performance.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes T1S. Who has them and what do you think?