Time to do some boarding...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 10:38 PM

Smile Time to do some boarding...

Anybody hit the slopes today. Some of the mtn's are opened already..

Planning to go tomorrow.. hope it's powdery
Old 10-24-2004, 12:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
you're one lucky dawg!

despite what the top few inches look like, DO NOT go off piste just yet. last year @kirkwood w/ some other i-clubbers, i was seduced by the 6"-9" of fresh that fell the nite before & into the morning. i planned to just weave in & out of the trees just off the trail. unfortunately, the base of my board took a serious shot...a good sliver, about an inch long & a quarter of an inch wide, right along the metal edge.

be safe & have fun up there. i should be hitting the slopes as soon as they've got a good 3'-5' base up there. w/ the way the storms are tracking in, that should be by the 2nd wknd of nov.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:04 AM

I have been waiting all summer to go boarding.. I can't wait any longer..

Yeah... I would hate to have my board f*cked up since I just got it last year.... but on the bright side.. I have and excuse to get a new one.. hehehe...

Man I have an exam next week.. I should be studying.. oh well winter only comes onces a year.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
oh dear...had to wait all summer....shoooooot... I wish I could say that. I have to wait til 2005 damn it.

I still don't know when I will be cleared to ride...at this point I am not even cleared to walk.

nearly 4 weeks into recovery from knee surgery. I start PT next week. I gained freakin weight. my leg shrunk..calf is like half the size of the other one. spent the first 3 weeks on complete lock out..not bending my leg at ALL. my subaru has been sitting...started ONCE.

I am still shooting for January 1st...maybe even christmas but it's up to the doctors...boooooo.

all I know is sometime in Jan/Feb I am gonna have an Iclub day up at my family cabin in arnold....I'll teach you guys some lines at bear valley..haa.

hopefully see you guys in a couple weeks....on the sloap in a couple months..errrrrrr.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:29 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Good luck with the recovery man. Can't wait for the I-club day on the slopes, see you there.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:32 PM

just want to let you guys know that it was pretty nice up there today... I want to Boreal .. my first time there.. that place is hella small.... but the snow was pretty descent for a first snow this season.. by the time I left.. it was kind of melting..
Old 10-24-2004, 08:31 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
hey onemanarmy,
just gald to hear your surgery went arite. hope you feel better soon with the PT and stuff. sorry to hijack the thread guys. but i hope to see y'alls in the snow sometime!!

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
oh dear...had to wait all summer....shoooooot... I wish I could say that. I have to wait til 2005 damn it.

I still don't know when I will be cleared to ride...at this point I am not even cleared to walk.

nearly 4 weeks into recovery from knee surgery. I start PT next week. I gained freakin weight. my leg shrunk..calf is like half the size of the other one. spent the first 3 weeks on complete lock out..not bending my leg at ALL. my subaru has been sitting...started ONCE.

I am still shooting for January 1st...maybe even christmas but it's up to the doctors...boooooo.

all I know is sometime in Jan/Feb I am gonna have an Iclub day up at my family cabin in arnold....I'll teach you guys some lines at bear valley..haa.

hopefully see you guys in a couple weeks....on the sloap in a couple months..errrrrrr.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy

hey, ray! i got your reply of my pm. thanks for the info. just remember that it's gonna be a long winter. be sure not to let your jones-ing for your secret stashes @bear dictate your progress, we need you as close to 100% before you show the rest of us shredheads the sick lines you & your bro annihilated for the past couple seasons! i'm sure it'll be tuff, but it'll be that much more rewarding once you're cleared by the docs.
i'm calling out the 1st week of feb to be just nuts!!! yes, you heard it 1st here, folks! i'm not a meterologist or anything, but i did stay @ a holiday inn express! heh heh nah...just my spidey sense telling me to be ready for some epic stuff right 'bout then.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wagonrex
I have been waiting all summer to go boarding.. I can't wait any longer..
i picked up one of THESE a couple years ago. it's such a great way to ride all year! i took a few mellow runs on saturday morning since i knew it was gonna rain by the afternoon. it's a li'l different when the pavement is wet! YIKES!!!
glad to hear you still had a good time @boreal. it can be a fun place if you only hit it up a couple times a season. read as: only a non-powder day that you feel like hitting up the jumps & jibs or boarder-X course a buncha times.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:36 AM

Car Info: Soon to be a 2011 WRX?
Dude, that board looks sick. I think I want to pick one up. Know of anyone around here that sells 'em?

Does it really carve like a snowboard? Would you say it's EXACTLY like a snowboard, kinda like a snowboard or just a lil like a snowboard?

TIA.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Ray! Get well soon brah! I remember reading about it here when you tore that **** up. I didn't think it was gonna be THAT serious of an injury. Sorry man, hope you're ready to ride soon.

Oh and another thing, yes, February will be epic. We had our best storm in Feb. of this year and I have a feeling late Jan. and early Feb. are gonna be the time to go off this year also.

Last edited by Xero; 10-25-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:59 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
That freeboard is sick. I've been skating a lot to tide me over. I'll be up in tahoe in a couple of weeks.

-JOE
Old 10-25-2004, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Xero:
it rides EXACTLY like a snowboard! the outer wheels on the trucks are equivalent to the edges on a snowboard, while the 3rd center wheel is like the base of the snowboard. i've never skateboarded b4 till i picked up the freebord. it's not really a SKATE deck unless you set up the center wheels to ride like a long SKATEboard. where in the bay do you live? if you're fairly close to san jo, you can check out my set-up.
i'm pretty sure the freebord site has links on where to buy one. iirc, any mountain carried them for the past few years. i happened to pick up mine @a shop in palo alto on university near the caltrain X-ing.

HomerJ(oe):
i usually ride the Bord solo out in san jo in the "evergreen hills" area. where are you? didya know that a group of freeborders set up rides every month or so?

S N O W B O A R D _ T H E _ S T R E E T S
Old 10-25-2004, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
That board looks crazy! I've just been skating a crapload and getting amped on the early season snow. This'll be the first year I've had a season pass since 2001. Prior to that it was 5 years at 50+ days/year straight! Sooooo stoked for the snow!

-Brian
Old 10-25-2004, 10:57 PM

Car Info: Soon to be a 2011 WRX?
Hey guys... Thanks for the info about the board. I was about to go that shop on University (Black Diamond or something) today to pick one up, and then I realized I should wait till my next check to be safe; I'm pretty stoked to pick one up though. My switch stance riding is really horrid and I think this could be helpful for practicing that and it just looks all around fun as hell too. I mean the videos seriously do look like snowboarding.

boardoholic, I live IN San Jose actually. I live down in the ghetto off the Oakland Rd. Exit from 101. Where do these guys you were talking about ride at? I'm kinda new to this are so I have heard of Evergreen College but have no idea where it is.

Anyway, thanks again for the info guys.

-Alan
Old 10-25-2004, 11:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Xero
Hey guys... Thanks for the info about the board. I was about to go that shop on University (Black Diamond or something) today to pick one up, and then I realized I should wait till my next check to be safe; I'm pretty stoked to pick one up though. My switch stance riding is really horrid and I think this could be helpful for practicing that and it just looks all around fun as hell too. I mean the videos seriously do look like snowboarding.

boardoholic, I live IN San Jose actually. I live down in the ghetto off the Oakland Rd. Exit from 101. Where do these guys you were talking about ride at? I'm kinda new to this are so I have heard of Evergreen College but have no idea where it is.

Anyway, thanks again for the info guys.

-Alan
alan:
the rides are organized by freebord. I asked to be put on their e-mailing list, so i get the notices. I've never gone to one yet...but i hope to try to hit one up esp. if it's geared for freebord beginners&intermediates. I ain't that confident on asphalt. Yeah, i ride w/ a helmet & pads/guards...but it's still kinda weird not being physically attached to the 'bord like bindings do for us on the snow.
Oh, and the offer still there to try out my set-up. I live right near SJSU, kinda ghetto-ish , too! FYI: the evergreen area is along Yerba Buena Rd, just east of Hwy 101. Basically, it's the area south of Quimby Rd just before you head up to Grant Ranch/Mt. Hamilton. I may ride next on thurs, depending on my work sched & weather. i'll shoot ya a pm once i figure it all out.
-cliff

Quick Reply: Time to do some boarding...