Is there a law stating you CANT park in front of a neighbors house?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Heedz
love living in small communities cause this doesn't happen. only to tourists :P
Weird, that's not true for me, and we live in the same community! This sort of thing has happened pretty much every place I have lived except Hawaii but then you pretty much park anywhere (even on grass) in Hawaii. Seems like it happens more in small communities (to me anyway). People get way pissy about the front of their houses.

But anyway - this used to happen all the time when I lived in San Carlos. In fact, I only met any of the neighbors (except one really nice older couple) because they would tell me I was not allowed to park in front of their houses if I would leave a car there. There would frequently be a car in front of my house when I got home, and since it was public parking, I never gave it a thought - but it became an issue for us that was a real pain in the ***.

The thing is, it was sort of an industrial area, as well as public street parking, as well as right near Cal Train. On top of that, in the 3 years we lived there - there were around 10 cars abandoned in the area - when that happens, the people that used to park there have to find another place to park.

Usually someone would come up to my house and tell me something like "we have a neighborhood rule where we don't park in front of our neighbors houses." which is complete bull****. In fact, that guy was complaining about where my wife was parking (in front of a nice neighbor's house who did not have a car and said we were welcome to park there) because his wife liked to park there so they didn't have any cars parked in front of their house!!!! One guy pulled up to my driveway and leaned on the horn for me to come out. When I did, he started asking me about cars I owned and weird crap - saying he used to see me park one of my cars in one place but now I park it in front of his neighbors house and that's where he wants to park. Etc.

Basically, people have some funny ideas and they should really shove them up their asses. BUT - keep your eyes open!! At one point there was an abandoned van in front of my house, and I was watching my buddy's Bugeye while he was on vacation. The neighbor called the cops every 3 days on me (it was 36 hours there) and I had those orange labels on my friend's car at least 3 times. He did it once on my car as well. He bragged to other neighbors about calling the cops on cars that parked in front of his place. Probably just a bored, angry old jerk.... But - it sucks to get messed with like that. I kept a schedule and had to move my buddy's car every 3 days basically.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
I had a similar problem at my ex' gf's house in SF.

Long story short, the guy across the street would call and complain when you parked in front of his house, and I would get a ticket.

Worse part was dude rode a motorcycle and parked it in his driveway, and there was room for 2 cars infront on the street (39th ave)

Luckily the girl worked for the city. He got a formal warning from dpt saying that they would bill him for meter maid trips if he did it again.

What bothered me was the time I caught the dpt person writing the ticket, all he said for a reason was " we got a complaint"
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
^^what a douche
Old 02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
same thing happened to me when i first moved into my place, neighbor wrote a note stating not to park in front of their house, i then saw them park in front of my house so i wrote them a same note which they ignored. i now park my car in front of their house.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
why not just try to have a decent conversation with them first? try introducing yourself as new to the neighborhood and take it from there. i'm sure you can find some middle ground. just passing notes i don't think will help anything in this case. i have more beef with assclowns who think they're ubercoolguys racing and slamming their music on neighborhood backstreets. but, if parking is at a premium, i wouldn't like people constantly taking the spot right out front of my house either.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 02-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
nope u have 3 days till he can do something about it, but I can tell you it does suck to come home after work and not be able to part infront of your own house
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Man, some of you guys roll over way to easy...

Solution:

1)buy the worst, most beat up truck or car you can find that is legal for the street still.
2)park said pile of crap infront of said neighbors house
3)Leave a note under the wiper, letter side out that just says "**** off *******, the car stays here full time now because you ****ed with me"

You win, neighbor will come and say sorry, or will call cops. If he calls cops cops will laugh and say "sorry public street, deal with it"
Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
I have a confession. My buddy was having some issues with his neighbors across the street. The neighbors were being dicks writing notes, threatening to complain and they started parking their cars in front of my friends house.

One day I witnessed the little asian man trying to yell at my friend. It was garbage day and I had insulating foam in my car. Needless to say I put insulating foam around the brim of the trash can and it glued it stuck. Why I did this you ask, lets say alcoholic substances may have been in my system. Dick move on my part, wasnt even my house!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Overbear

Solution:

1)buy the worst, most beat up truck or car you can find that is legal for the street still.
3)Leave a note under the wiper, letter side out that just says "**** off *******, the car stays here full time now because you ****ed with me"

You win, neighbor will come and say sorry, or will call cops. If he calls cops cops will laugh and say "sorry public street, deal with it"
lol I always like when i scroll down and see you've replied to complaint threads like these, I know its going to be great before I even start reading

but seriously, its pretty ****in funny what people in the suburbs trip about, cant park on the street? Hell here in SF youre just lucky if someones not parked in front of your driveway
Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
My ******* neighbors have like 4 cars and 2 motor cycles for the 3 of them and one doesn't drive. They have a sketchy work truck they left infront of my house for 1 month and I got really irritated considering I have 4/5 people in my house with 6 cars and 2-3 need street parking. They had the right to leave it there but have to drive it 1-2 miles or something per 72 hrs.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by Overbear

Solution:

probably get towed after 72 hours
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 335i & S1000RR
Originally Posted by SJwrx08
One day I witnessed the little asian man trying to yell at my friend.
What does Asian have to do with the rest of the story?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's ridiculous. I would have told them to learn how to drive.
Maybe they're hellaflush and have to angle super hard.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Four vs Two

Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
Originally Posted by Four vs Two

Haha not trying to say im racist or have anything against asians. Just identifying the person who was being a dick. My apologies

Quick Reply: Is there a law stating you CANT park in front of a neighbors house?