Is there a law stating you CANT park in front of a neighbors house?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM VF34, 08 WRB FSXT
Is there a law stating you CANT park in front of a neighbors house?

So here's the scenario. The other day we started moving into our new home. Later that night my cousin found a note saying they didnt want him parking in front of their house anymore. Keep in mind this is a public street and there isnt any sign indicating that we cant park there. last time i checked it was ok to park anywhere on a public road as long as its not blocking a driveway or in the same spot for 72 hours or otherwise noted. its kinda frustrating being greeted this way by our new neighbors. i was wondering if there was any type of literature stating the facts so i can print it out and show them. i'm not the type of person to start any sort of drama and id also hate to create some type of tension since we're new to the area. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Car Info: Nadda
That sucks, must be an asshat neighbor just by that note. I'd just not park there because I'd hate to come back to see your car keyed or some other sort of crap.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
that happened to me at my brothers new place, with multiple neighbors...and worst part is, after i had parked parallel IN my brothers driveway...they left a note saying i needed to move my car out of my brothers driveway so that they had enough room to back out of their driveway across the street (its a really small two-way)

i now just park down the street in front of some eldery guys house who doesnt care about the street spot because he only has one car (he drives a forester actually, and has asked me about my car haha)

im pretty sure as long as there is no sign, they cant do anything about it...call your city's parking department? good luck
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
No there is not.

The street is open game. Your property line ends at the side walk.
It's really just kind of a courtesy thing that you do your best to keep the spots in front of your neighbors house clear.

Sounds like you're gonna have issues with this person. Guy should ahve been able to see that you were moving in and given you a break. I'd say do your best to stay out of those spots but if you can't... tough ****.

Some people are dicks about it because it's becoming more common for there to be multiple people splitting houses and that can mean a 3 bedroom house with 6 cars. That gets pretty friggin annoying when you have to deal with it every day.

So try to be the bigger man in the situation but if you have to park there every now and again... oh well.
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by slugrx
that happened to me at my brothers new place, with multiple neighbors...and worst part is, after i had parked parallel IN my brothers driveway...they left a note saying i needed to move my car out of my brothers driveway so that they had enough room to back out of their driveway across the street (its a really small two-way)

i now just park down the street in front of some eldery guys house who doesnt care about the street spot because he only has one car (he drives a forester actually, and has asked me about my car haha)

im pretty sure as long as there is no sign, they cant do anything about it...call your city's parking department? good luck
That's ridiculous. I would have told them to learn how to drive.

Car Info: (sold)2004 WRB STi, MY05 WRX Wagon
im pretty sure thats considered a public parking space....as long as you dont block anyone, youre good to go...but thats what i heard from the LEOs in my other forum
Old 02-22-2011, 05:27 PM

^^yeah i dont park in those spots anymore just to not be a d!ck, but sometimes if im running in and out ill park and throw my hazards on
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's ridiculous. I would have told them to learn how to drive.
hahha thats what i said..but hes an old handicapped dude driving an extended cab silverado with the long bed (why he drives this, ive got no fcking clue, so i still park in that spot when my brother doesnt have one of his cars there)...cant tell me not to park in my own driveway
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
love living in small communities cause this doesn't happen. only to tourists :P
Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 06 GMC Diesel
I had the same thing happen to my truck when my 2 cousins moved In to a new house, I parked In front of a ladies house on the street ( Public ) and I was about 5-6 feet from her front gate ( gated front yard ) she always parks In her drive way but for some reason one night I was over there she decided to write on my trucks driver door with her finger clearing away the dirt thats on the side " Pull back!! " .... what a way to tell me to move back when I already gave her plenty of space to walk through her front gate that she does not use... now you can see In the right light "Pull back" scratched into my paint. ****ing ****!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Car Info: Nadda
If he's handicapped I could see throwing him a bit of courtesy if he seriously has issues going from one place to another.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 07wrx4life
I had the same thing happen to my truck when my 2 cousins moved In to a new house, I parked In front of a ladies house on the street ( Public ) and I was about 5-6 feet from her front gate ( gated front yard ) she always parks In her drive way but for some reason one night I was over there she decided to write on my trucks driver door with her finger clearing away the dirt thats on the side " Pull back!! " .... what a way to tell me to move back when I already gave her plenty of space to walk through her front gate that she does not use... now you can see In the right light "Pull back" scratched into my paint. ****ing ****!
I would have snapped some pictures and then sent her a bill for a complete detail. Friggin idiots. I hate people.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Don't park in front of my house I'll call parking services and say you've parked there for over 72 hours =0

Last edited by 03_Impreza_Al; 02-22-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
We had to deal with some similar issues.

We had a neighbor with a huge RV (Can't remember the exact amount now) but it was 2ft shorter than what our city allowed. It blocked a huge portion of the sidewalk and they would park their cars on the same side as well even though they had a driveway. The situation made it difficult to pull our cars out of the driveway, since the RV was hard to see around. We contacted our city and they came out and looked at the situation, which resulted in nothing because they were within the legal limits. Over time, a lot of our neighbors called and complained so they got the hint and now pay to park it in an RV storage lot.

Hope that adds some perspective from the other side of the coin.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
If it was me I'd be semi courteous and not park there MOST of the time. But I would probably park there a couple times every Month because a) it's your street and neighborhood too and b) I'm not into letting people I have to live with flex nuts on me without a solid reason.

If you wanted to be a real *** you could rig a camera up on the spot and always park there, but that has other consequences that you would have to deal with. In an unrelated story, that's how my uncle got damages from his ex: video tape footage from a hardware store overlooking curbside parking in SF.

Quick Reply: Is there a law stating you CANT park in front of a neighbors house?