Is there an alternative to PG&E?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
I believe Roseville Electric is the same way.

@ OP - Just confirmed that your HOA can only say no if they actually own the roof.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Yeah, looks like Josi and I will be investing in some solar panels for our house. Just did the math and we could literally have it pay for itself in less than 3 years. Unbelievable.

I have a house, I have a roof... it's my turn to tell PGE to f' off.

I have my own organic veggie garden, grow my own food, collect my own rain water, and now it's time to produce my own energy. Being self sufficient ROCKS!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by brucelee
Yeah, looks like Josi and I will be investing in some solar panels for our house. Just did the math and we could literally have it pay for itself in less than 3 years. Unbelievable.

I have a house, I have a roof... it's my turn to tell PGE to f' off.

I have my own organic veggie garden, grow my own food, collect my own rain water, and now it's time to produce my own energy. Being self sufficient ROCKS!
You're ready for the Zombie Attacks in 28 Days Later!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by flukewrx
You're ready for the Zombie Attacks in 28 Days Later!
Just tired of being dependent.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
I rent a house and our bill is around $300 a month. I should convince the owner to put solar panels
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM

Doesnt hurt to ask.

Think of it this way.

Lets say you consume 100 Kwh in a month (no idea if that is even in the ballpark just using it for example)

If the owner installed solar, and his bill went to $40 because he is now only using 10Kwh from PG&E then he is generating the other 90 Kwh from the solar panal. You would still be using the same amount of electricity after all.

There is no problem with him "selling" that 90Kwh to you at say 50% of what PG&E would charge.

Your bill would drop because you would be paying a fraction of what the 90 Kwh would cost if you bought it from PG&E at their rate.

Your landlord is now making more on that same property by generating his own electricity for you to use.

There is a certain trust factor that goes into it because you most likely wouldnt see the bill each month and would be relying on the owners montly breakdown.

The owner would have to have his name on the PG&E account and charge you monthly rent plus however much electricity you bought from PG&E (at their rate) and the electricity you bought from the owner (at whatever his rate is).

the only thing your meter would tell you is how much you bought from PG&E.

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 05-17-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I know the HOA owns the roof and I live on the lower story, but I might be able to sell them on converting the whole complex. We have 64 units and more than 300 residents, so things happen slowly.

I remember back in 2000 there was a Green House energy or something like that you could have administer electricity. But that was a long time ago
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
there are ways to lower your bill. ie turn ish off, find what items are draining the most power etc. if you are with PG&E you more then likely have a smart meter so you can track you usage in real time. they also prorate your bill by times: 12noon is more expensive the 12 at night... just being conscious of your usage can save you a boat load.

Last edited by jblanco325; 05-17-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: english is hard
Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
It's not really about the bill.... I'm just tired of this godless company.

How many times have they been sued for illegal pollution, bad pipelines...
Why do we allow a public utility to be a for-profit company?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
Originally Posted by Harry Maneuvers
Doesnt hurt to ask.

Think of it this way.

Lets say you consume 100 Kwh in a month (no idea if that is even in the ballpark just using it for example)

If the owner installed solar, and his bill went to $40 because he is now only using 10Kwh from PG&E then he is generating the other 90 Kwh from the solar panal. You would still be using the same amount of electricity after all.

There is no problem with him "selling" that 90Kwh to you at say 50% of what PG&E would charge.

Your bill would drop because you would be paying a fraction of what the 90 Kwh would cost if you bought it from PG&E at their rate.

Your landlord is now making more on that same property by generating his own electricity for you to use.

There is a certain trust factor that goes into it because you most likely wouldnt see the bill each month and would be relying on the owners montly breakdown.

The owner would have to have his name on the PG&E account and charge you monthly rent plus however much electricity you bought from PG&E (at their rate) and the electricity you bought from the owner (at whatever his rate is).

the only thing your meter would tell you is how much you bought from PG&E.
Thanks for the explanation! I don't see him doing it though, as we(and I assume previous/future renters) pay for our own power. But, I do like your argument and that might change his mind.

It's a house with 4(soon to be 3) 21 year olds and I'll admit we all could be better with power consumption. We've converted to energy efficient bulbs, saved >$10.

I'm starting to think it's the house though. Just too much phantom power that we can't seem to track down.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:54 PM

Shoot, if he can make an extra $150 per month off of his investment property, might be worth it to him.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:47 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I'm sure all our rate are going to go up with the payout they have to pay for San Bruno residents. They do the f'up and end up making us pay for it.

Originally Posted by Lowend
It's not really about the bill.... I'm just tired of this godless company.

How many times have they been sued for illegal pollution, bad pipelines...
Why do we allow a public utility to be a for-profit company?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by Max Xevious
my smud bill was $14 last month

I love my solar panels
My average bill with smud is 41 dollars a month. No solar panels needed. I have a 60 year old house, with single pane original windows. I just laugh when they try to sell me solar. I guess if smud would cut me a check at their rates for any overage it might be worthwhile...