Is there an alternative to PG&E?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
You can NOT not have pg&e. unless you go propane or solar.

As mentioned you have to still use pg&e even you have have solar.

If you have "extra" electricity in your grid you can then sell it back to pg&e, they will not pay you as much as they sell it for.

THEN say if you need to pull electricity back from their grid in the same billing cycle that you have sold them your electricity they will sell it to you for even more than they would if you were just using it normally.

My environmental science teacher used to always talk about this, they have a 1kw system on their house. they have a meter installed that turns both ways. you can stand out side of their house and watch it spin backwards.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
If you lived in Santa Clara then you would have the option of silicon valley power. I'm freshly back on PG&E, will be interested to see what my bill is like PG&E vs SVP for similar sized apts. The confounding variables being I have a washer/dryer in my new apt, but the appliances are newer & more energy efficient.

Lowend, how is the energy efficiency in your condo in terms of building materials? Got newer dual pane, low-e, vinyl framed windows? Or single pane, aluminum framed, uncoated glass windows? Having gone from the latter to the former, I can tell you it makes a HUGE difference in your heating/cooling costs as well as comfort. Also, look how you're powering electronics like tv's, computers, garage/basement lights. Are any of those on smart power strips? Using incandescent bulbs or CFE's/LED's? Have you contacted PG&E to have them do an energy audit of the condo? They'll have some of the same hints as well as rebates/programs for energy saving.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Originally Posted by Snoopy408
If you have "extra" electricity in your grid you can then sell it back to pg&e, they will not pay you as much as they sell it for.
THEN say if you need to pull electricity back from their grid in the same billing cycle that you have sold them your electricity they will sell it to you for even more than they would if you were just using it normally.

My environmental science teacher used to always talk about this, they have a 1kw system on their house. they have a meter installed that turns both ways. you can stand out side of their house and watch it spin backwards.

This is 100% incorrect.

Your meter spins backwards yes... but you are not selling electricity to PGE for any less than you are buying it at tier 1 base level costs.

In fact, you arent selliing it to them at all... you are building "credits" (either dollars or Kwh) by your meter spinning backwards. As soon as the sun goes down, your meter starts spinning forward again and you use the "credits" that you just generated during that days sunlight.

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 05-17-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
My last bill from PG&E was $88. It was higher during the winter until I adjusted the thermostat better. I'm not looking forward to the summer when I need to turn the A/C on though.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 05 FXT
You could always move into one of those in law units in the ghetto where utilities are included with your rent. No more having to deal with utility companies
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
My last bill from PG&E was $88. It was higher during the winter until I adjusted the thermostat better. I'm not looking forward to the summer when I need to turn the A/C on though.
You are almost certainly staying in the first two usage tiers.

Hopefully you dont dip into the 3rd or 4th come summer or you will be seeing a MUCH higher bill.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM

sell your electric stoves and clothes dryers for natural gas ones
Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
my smud bill was $14 last month

I love my solar panels
Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM

^ this is not an exaggeration or one off...

I have a customer in El Dorado Hills who was able to put a massive system on her home.

Her monthly bill went from $400+ to $8!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Maneuvers
This is 100% incorrect.

Your meter spins backwards yes... but you are not selling electricity to PGE for any less than you are buying it at tier 1 base level costs.

In fact, you arent selliing it to them at all... you are building "credits" (either dollars or Kwh) by your meter spinning backwards. As soon as the sun goes down, your meter starts spinning forward again and you use the "credits" that you just generated during that days sunlight.
i didnt say the meter spinning backwards was them selling it. i was just saying how it was cool it spins backward.
and building credits is basically the same thing. its not like they cut you a check.
jeez Fing ***** on here.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
If this could only turn into real energy
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy408
i didnt say the meter spinning backwards was them selling it. i was just saying how it was cool it spins backward.
and building credits is basically the same thing. its not like they cut you a check.
jeez Fing ***** on here.
No worries. I was just setting the record straight because your first post made it seem as though PG&E will pay you less for the energy you put on the grid then what you are paying to them for the same energy.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM

word.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
actually with SMUD, if you sell back more then you use, they will square up with you at the end of the year.

there were people in my subdivision that received checks back at the end of the year.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Krinkov
hell yeah, just got a $200 PG&E bill, Im totally ready for solar panels, at this rate they would pay for themself in less than 3 years

Cost of a Home Solar Power System
Damn, our energy bill gets to $500 in the winter per month... I need some solar panels! especially in sunny san jose. **** PGE

Quick Reply: Is there an alternative to PG&E?