Is there an alternative to eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by rugmonkey
sniping does not circumvent anything, you still have to bid your highest offer, if its lower than someone else's then your snipe wouldnt work. highest bid still wins, I dont see an issue with this tactic.
Seriously? The auction is designed so that you set "what you are willing to pay" for the item (like... an auction) and then at the end of it all, you find out who wins. Sniping bypasses all that and makes sure that you win by $.05 in the last few seconds. That is completely circumventing the process in order to "snipe" the item from the people who are using the system as it was intended.

Yes, it works similarly to how eBay works, but... Then why not just use eBay? Ohhhh that's right because if you actually WANT the item you have to snipe it. Dumb.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
why dont you just bid the maximum amount you're willing to pay for an item, I mean the absolute maximum. that way, if someone outbids you, you'll be happy that you didnt end up paying more than you were willing to for that item; and if you win, you got a great deal b/c you paid less than the maximum you were willing to pay. no one owes you an item at a price below your maximum threshold, that is certainly not what ebay there to do, although it can and often does happen. its there to provide the tools to create the most efficient marketplace possible. they have achieved that aim imo.

summary: snipers couldnt win items for less than the max amount you're willing to pay, if you just bid your maximum.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

why dont you just bid the maximum amount you're willing to pay for an item, I mean the absolute maximum. that way, if someone outbids you, you'll be happy that you didnt end up paying more than you were willing to for that item; and if you win, you got a great deal b/c you paid less than the maximum you were willing to pay. no one owes you an item at a price below your maximum threshold, that is certainly not what ebay there to do, although it can and often does happen. its there to provide the tools to create the most efficient marketplace possible. they have achieved that aim imo.

summary: snipers couldnt win items for less than the max amount you're willing to pay, if you just bid your maximum.
Oh dear... I am pretty sure I didn't say that items should be sold to me for what I want to pay for them.

I don't think anything I do to this text box will make you understand what I am saying. What I do when I really must win something is what you suggest, obviously. Only been bitten a few times on that one. It bothers me that I need to use another service IN ORDER TO use eBay. Not sure how to word it and even less sure that it really matters.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
ok, i must have misunderstood then, didnt realize you have to use a sniping application to snipe on ebay, I always do it by hand. works like a charm
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

ok, i must have misunderstood then, didnt realize you have to use a sniping application to snipe on ebay, I always do it by hand. works like a charm
OMFG...........

Sorry about your thread, J.