Is there an alternative to eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Rat

Car Info: always changing...
Is there an alternative to eBay?

suggestions?

Somewhere that you can leave negative feedback for non paying bidders...

Somewhere your listings don't get flagged because you say that you will end the auction early for a local buyer?

Somewhere that uses the English Auction type where the the auction goes until no one else bids... I think this would eliminate most sniping. Basically the auction is extended for another countdown... say, 15 minutes?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Get better at sniping.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Get better at sniping.
+1. If you're bidding on anything with more than 3 minutes remaining, you're doing it wrong.
________
Cumshot tube

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Rat

Ahhh, I see... thanks for that helpful info.

I must not have been clear... I'm looking for an auction site that sniping will not work on. To encourage better bidding for the sellers.

Preferably one where the auction "ends" say, 15 minutes after the last bid. The time isn't as important, it could be 5 minutes, it's just to give someone a chance to place a higher bid than the last one.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
I stopped using eBay long ago because it gives too much preference and power to sellers. Who's going to be a buyer from a site that gives even less power to buyers? It's only going to attract bigger idiots than eBay, since the smart people will buy elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Rat

My experiences are the opposite though I have had a seller never send me the item, never respond to me and then get pissed when I left him negative feedback even after I warned him via e-mail several times that I would.

As a sometimes seller on eBay I find that it's biased towards buyers. Most of the time people are ok but when the kind of things happen that I've been experiencing lately are really annoying.

You have plenty of power as a buyer. Put your bid in and hope it's the high one. Pretty simple really. It's when people don't pay or send an item or don't like the competition that your item is presenting to theirs that problems arise.

Does anyone use another site that operates differently? If so, which ones?

I'm looking for opinions on other auction sites. Not what I'm doing wrong on eBay...

Last edited by Rat; 02-18-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I don't understand how crappy sellers not sending you an item or buyers falling through with their bids is somehow solely an ebay issue.

Did you think they was a similar auction site where buyers and sellers all follow the rules?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX sedan
Ebay is designed to favor sellers. Small time buyers are hurt big time by a single negative feedback.

Seller ships bad item, and doesn't have to give feedback until the buyer does. Friend bought a PS2 game that was scratched to hell and didn't work in his PS2 past the first area. Buyer was like "worked fine in my PS3, too bad".

Buyer leaves negative feedback, seller leaves "retaliatory" negative feedback. seller has 1000 positives to bolster his 1 negative. Buyer has 2 positives and 1 negative.

Who gets screwed here because retaliatory negatives are allowed? Not the seller.

F_eBay. Sellers can basically sell bricks in a box and as long as their auction says "as-is" and no returns, buyers have little recourse.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Rat

I'm not interested in debating this. Yes, eBay sucks... but I asked some pretty simple questions.

Let's try this again...

Originally Posted by Rat

Somewhere that you can leave negative feedback for non paying bidders... or sellers who don't send the item.

Somewhere your listings don't get flagged because you say that you will end the auction early for a local buyer?

Somewhere that uses the English Auction type where the the auction goes until no one else bids... I think this would eliminate most sniping. Basically the auction is extended for another countdown... say, 15 minutes?
So... does anyone use a different site for auctions? One they can recommend that might operate a bit differently than the way eBay currently does? Maybe more like eBay used to only with a better way, imho, for the auctions to end?

Or are there none? No decent competition for them out there?

Last edited by Rat; 02-18-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
why not just sell at "buy it now" with a best offer option. I've found thats the best way to sell higher priced items on ebay. I think this should address your concerns about price control as a seller.

you could sell on amazon or ubid, but ebay is superior imo. no english auction sites afaik.

dont know why you care so much about negative feedback for buyers, ebay has mechanisms to refund/waive your fees if a buyer doesnt pay, and offer the item to the next highest bidder. I think they've done a decent job at addressing these issues.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I am totally with you, both in your frustration and the uselessness of the replies here. It's the usual "you're doing it wrong" stuff when that is not what you asked. Doesn't sound like you are asking for a mechanism to force people to not suck, just sounds like you would like a way to at least note the issue (non paying bidder or non sending seller).

In my search, I found nothing of the sort. Ebay is very frustrating for me. I "got good at sniping" and won some stuff, but it's absolutely retarded to pay for a service that is designed to circumvent the process of the application just because "that's how everyone does it." Sofa king stupid. I prefer classifieds where you agree on a price, and then buy the item - just that some things you GOT to go to eBay for (like my awesome collection of vintage Sony Discman players for example.. Heh.).
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by rugmonkey
why not just sell at "buy it now" with a best offer option. I've found thats the best way to sell higher priced items on ebay. I think this should address your concerns about price control as a seller.

you could sell on amazon or ubid, but ebay is superior imo. no english auction sites afaik.

dont know why you care so much about negative feedback for buyers, ebay has mechanisms to refund/waive your fees if a buyer doesnt pay, and offer the item to the next highest bidder. I think they've done a decent job at addressing these issues.
Good info there, didn't know about the non-paying bidder thing.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Rat

Originally Posted by rugmonkey

Where did you get the idea that I "care so much about negative feedback for buyers"? I care about being able to leave negative feedback for anyone who deserves it. The last non-paying bidder I had was a PITA to deal with and it wound up taking me weeks to sell the item later on (Craigslist). Relisting on eBay wasn't something I wanted to do after that.

He had zero feedback and I called eBay days before the auction was to end to remove his bid and the customer support talked me into giving the guy a chance.

If he had a negative strike on his account now more sellers would be disinclined to allow him to bid and perhaps cause them a bunch of grief too...

I'm not a big seller on eBay. I list things at times but for the most part I buy on there.

ubid, I'll check them out... and buy it now with an offer is also a good idea. Thanks for that!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Rat

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I am totally with you, both in your frustration and the uselessness of the replies here. It's the usual "you're doing it wrong" stuff when that is not what you asked. Doesn't sound like you are asking for a mechanism to force people to not suck, just sounds like you would like a way to at least note the issue (non paying bidder or non sending seller).

In my search, I found nothing of the sort. Ebay is very frustrating for me. I "got good at sniping" and won some stuff, but it's absolutely retarded to pay for a service that is designed to circumvent the process of the application just because "that's how everyone does it." Sofa king stupid. I prefer classifieds where you agree on a price, and then buy the item - just that some things you GOT to go to eBay for (like my awesome collection of vintage Sony Discman players for example.. Heh.).
Agreed!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
Originally Posted by wombatsauce

sniping does not circumvent anything, you still have to bid your highest offer, if its lower than someone else's then your snipe wouldnt work. highest bid still wins, I dont see an issue with this tactic.

Last edited by rugmonkey; 02-18-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there an alternative to eBay?