That's it... I''ve lost my edge... just kill me now.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 10:20 PM
sjt

Car Info: Seltos
Unhappy That's it... I''ve lost my edge... just kill me now.

With the crap *** weather we've been having especially today, I've been REALLY paranoid/scared while driving on the highways. On my way to work today, it was only moderately raining and everytime I hit a puddle, I just got that feeling of hydroplaning and a repeat of the accident that I had last year which claimed my RS...

I just can't handle the feeling of water under my tires even though rationally I know I'm not hydroplaning nor really pushing the limits of the tires grip but it just FEELS like I'm about to spin out going straight on a highway... I see stupid ***** doing 75-80mph on the highway and I wanna just smack em... That was faster than the speed I was going when a perfectly good AWD RS spun into a concrete divide at 55mph... and these dip****s are driving minivans, SUVs, family sedans... I was just being passed like a $2 joint all day today... My paranoia has really affected me...

I was doing 45-60mph all day on the highways except at one point I was almost stopped cuz it rained SO HARD that EVERYONE on the road started to brake mostly cuz YOU COULDN'T SEE it was coming down so hard and fast...

Bad days ahead... fear of driving = CRAP... must find a way to overcome...
Old 12-14-2002, 11:09 PM

I feel you bro. People were driving like it wasn't even raining. I especially hate those lifted trucks that cut in front of you and spray all that water into the air so you can't see anymore. Today was kinda scary when i was drinving back home from school. The wind was throwing my car all over the place. I had both hands firmly on the wheel in fear of spinning out due to the combination of wind and puddles.

As for your confidence, just take it easy on the road and keep a good space cusion around you. Or you can just do as i do and listen to some kpop while you drive.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:18 PM

Whoa! You guys okay? Yeah there were a lot of things blowing on the freeway today. I didn't encounter any trees though. Just a couple water bottles and some branches.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:45 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
Drove though GGP right in the midst of the whole storm. I was taking the family downtown. The weather was freakin' wicked. Streets were flooded from the Sunset, through GGP, down the Panhandle and all the way downtown.

I had both hands on the wheel and was focused on the road and the feedback from the tires. She handled like a champ. At the lights I made a consious effort to wait at least a three count before going through the intersection.

Driving through the puddles at normal speed was hella fun! My daughter was yelling, "whoa! cool" from the backseat. All I could think about was the WRC Subies with the snorkle.

SJT - nothing wrong with being cautious on these bad days. A little fear will serve you well during the storms. Don't confuse caution with fear. Drive with what's comfortable and reasonable under the driving conditions. This anxiety will pass. What you don't want is brain-lock or tunnel vision... that would suck. Hang in there man.

To all of the BAICers out there, be careful and keep the shiny side up.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:50 AM

hey steve you need some new tires..my stock continentals can take that crap
Old 12-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by rohde88
crazzzy story bout the weather, Scott and i were coming back from Union City on 80 when the wind was blowing and rainy blah blah. A huge tree branch just breaks off into the far right lane. Scott says "oh look!" and i see this huge piece of the tree split and fall.

Ron
Man that blows! You guys are IN MY TOWN! If you say you were at UCKK, man you were 1/8 of a mile from my house! I was where?? IN SJ, working, where the power went out, therefore, no registers, and the street was flooding to about 6 inches....

Oh well.

Steve, you will be fine, just keep the speed down, and the attenion up. I was getting tossed all over the place with the wind. The rain was heavy coming home, and i was just keeping it at about 60mph or slower, and staying pretty much in the middle lanes or to the right.

-Gagan
Old 12-15-2002, 10:17 AM
sjt

Car Info: Seltos
Originally posted by pio!pio!
hey steve you need some new tires..my stock continentals can take that crap
Nah I'm good. I got the Sumitomo HTRZ-2 which are pretty nice but it's mostly a mental thing... I can't seem to get that feeling of impending destruction outta my mind...

And Gagan I know exactly what you mean!!! The wind was pushing me around like an elementary school bully... I swear I was barely more inconvienet to it than a leaf...

SPEED DOWN + ATTENTION UP = SURVIVAL.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:42 PM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
well now you have sumitomos.. they should have better traction in the rain than those crap re92 and whatever your stock ones had but then... you only have 2 wheel drive now so i'd still watch out...

Daios (Day-ohhss)