Thanks for the ProTune, Ed (EQ Tuning)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Thanks for the ProTune Ed!

Just got my car (02 WRX) tuned by Ed with EQTuning. He did a great job (the best he could do with a 4EAT car). He seemed to know what he was doing, and did it all for a good price (although he did try to take a bath with my 5 gallon jug of 100 octane). Thanks again Ed! the car feels great, pulls strong and the RPM surging it used to do is gone.

If anyone’s wondering...

3-port boost solenoid (installed)
Cobb AP
2 custom maps done with road tuning
5 gallons of 100 octane race fuel

all for $965

I highly recommend Ed if you’re looking to get a protune.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Car Info: drives a STi
Where's Ed shop located?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:10 PM
VIP Member

he does the roadtuning in Davis (works out of his house), but does dyno tunes at both Gruppe-S (Haywayrd) and Fine Line Imports (Santa Rosa?)
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
wait till we have the smb dyno day at gruppe-s, we'll see what the numbers are like. congrats brotha
Old 02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Matt,

Thanks for the nice review and thanks for making the long drive. This was only the second AT car I've tuned, and sadly I can't get road dyno numbers for AT. The car pulled very well, drove smoothly, and was very responsive so I'm happy. All in all a good day except for getting a face full of 100 octane. Atleast it wasn't cali 91 octane .

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 12:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by MBasile
he does the roadtuning in Davis (works out of his house), but does dyno tunes at both Gruppe-S (Haywayrd) and Fine Line Imports (Santa Rosa?)
That's correct, I do road tuning only in Davis out of my house, and offer Dyno Tuning at Gruppe-S or DB Tuned in Roseville.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Matt,

Thanks for the nice review and thanks for making the long drive. This was only the second AT car I've tuned, and sadly I can't get road dyno numbers for AT. The car pulled very well, drove smoothly, and was very responsive so I'm happy. All in all a good day except for getting a face full of 100 octane. Atleast it wasn't cali 91 octane .

Thanks
you can get road dyno numbers for the automatic via deltadash. set up the gear ratios just like you would for a manual, but just enter some bogus value for 5th, set it for a 2nd gear pull, and have at it. 2 in the 4eat will not downshift into 1st.

i used to get the car rolling in 1, and right before i hit the target start rpm i'd shift into 2. right before redline, say 6800rpm shift into 3 or D. results were pretty close to the mustang at S-S.

for reference, you can use the same procedure on a dyno. the only difference is that at 6800rpm or so you have to put it in N instead of D or the car will do an un-happy dance on the rollers.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:53 PM

Car Info: WRX '03
... He seemed to know what he was doing...
dont be too sure about that.. hehe. j/k he tuned my rex too

where's the dyno?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:07 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by RussB
you can get road dyno numbers for the automatic via deltadash. set up the gear ratios just like you would for a manual, but just enter some bogus value for 5th, set it for a 2nd gear pull, and have at it. 2 in the 4eat will not downshift into 1st.

i used to get the car rolling in 1, and right before i hit the target start rpm i'd shift into 2. right before redline, say 6800rpm shift into 3 or D. results were pretty close to the mustang at S-S.

for reference, you can use the same procedure on a dyno. the only difference is that at 6800rpm or so you have to put it in N instead of D or the car will do an un-happy dance on the rollers.

Yep, I've done that as well, but second gear on flat road doesn't apply enough load to get a true representation of low-mid range torque since the turbo spools later. In general when you do this on a chassis dyno, you apply more load than the car would normally see in second gear to get a longer pull and a more accurate representation of the power curve. The other problem is that when you do a shorter pull like that, the road dyno's resolution is significantly reduced and further reduces the accuracy. You also have to consider the torque converter which allows for some degree of slip and creates further problems when trying to get an accurate dyno. That's why I don't even bother trying to get numbers for AT cars with the road dyno software.

From the boost, a/f, ignition advance, and air flow the car was running, I'd estimate it to make ~210-215whp and about the same torque. This tune was on par with other cars I've tuned with similar setups, so overall power levels should be similar as well. Of course these are estimates, so take them with a grain of salt.

Overall, the feel of the car and the drivability are much more important to me than peak numbers anyway. This customer felt the same way so I didn't feel it necessary to try to get some sort of graphical representation when I knew it wouldn't be nearly as accurate as I would like.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Hey Ed, do you remember what you estimated the 100 octane map at? By the way, how are your eyes doin? no ill side effects from the 100 octane?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Hey Ed, do you remember what you estimated the 100 octane map at? By the way, how are your eyes doin? no ill side effects from the 100 octane?
I'd estimate the 100 map at around 220-225whp and 230-240ft-lbs with a very heatsoaked TMIC. These are very rough estimates though, so don't hold me to them.

My eyes seem to be fine and so far no other problems from the 100 octane. I think I'm in the clear for now atleast .

Thanks
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Thanks. I know those are rough estimates, I just wanted to know roughly what you thought it might be around. Thanks again for the tune...the car really feels awesome...and dont forget the ventilation cap on the gas can next time! that was some freaky ish seeing it spray up into your face
Old 02-24-2006, 11:49 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
+1 for Ed Vaus!!1
Old 02-24-2006, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB 4EAT VF34 Kit w/AP
My wrx will soon be the 3rd 4EAT. Hey Ed. Were just about to close escrow on our new house (first time homeowners. woohoo) So we will be moving this next week and weekend. And we just spent about $7k last week on all new appliances and funiture. So as soon as things calm down, I will set up an appoinment to get mine tuned.

Darren
Old 02-25-2006, 04:14 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by nerrad5
My wrx will soon be the 3rd 4EAT. Hey Ed. Were just about to close escrow on our new house (first time homeowners. woohoo) So we will be moving this next week and weekend. And we just spent about $7k last week on all new appliances and funiture. So as soon as things calm down, I will set up an appoinment to get mine tuned.

Darren
Darren,

Sounds good, let me know when you're ready for the tune. FYI, its generally good to schedule atleast 2 weeks in advance.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Thanks for the ProTune, Ed (EQ Tuning)!