Thanks for nothing Cobb

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Perrin is notorious for using consumers to do their R&D for them. They put out parts and wait to see what the problems are and then they adjust them. That's why they have 2/3/4 versions of things. I've had nothing but issues with Perrin. Period.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by sf.wrx
i have to same issue with my invidia DP and just wrapped the area with heat wrap. You should be fine going this route.
you need to be careful about using heat wraps folks. If you wrap something that is made with various kinds of "mild steel" you can and will crack where the wrap is due to overheating in the area.

I am not sure about the problem on subies, but on SBC's its a common problem with headers when put on street driven vehicles.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Overbear
you need to be careful about using heat wraps folks. If you wrap something that is made with various kinds of "mild steel" you can and will crack where the wrap is due to overheating in the area.

I am not sure about the problem on subies, but on SBC's its a common problem with headers when put on street driven vehicles.
Yeah. A lot of the issue comes from improper installs too. That and the fact that daily drivers get dirty. Get ALL kinds of crap on the wrap. Oil. Dirt. Etc.

More crap that gets on there the less efficient the stuff is and the more likely it'll catch on fire or have all kinds of other issues.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Hmmmm I thought thats why you use the titanium wrap vs fiberglass.....and OB....what part of a stainless steel header and downpipe is mild steel?

Unless you are talking to the group of stupid people who are wrapping their stock header for no good reason then I will agree lol.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Hmmmm I thought thats why you use the titanium wrap vs fiberglass.....and OB....what part of a stainless steel header and downpipe is mild steel?

Unless you are talking to the group of stupid people who are wrapping their stock header for no good reason then I will agree lol.
What a waste of time wrapping the Stock Cast exhaust manifolds, The cross pipe would be more worth the time.

Ti wrap is good at what it does and also not becoming a wic like fiberglass and other flammable wraps. I have personally taken a torch to TI wrap and watched it turn glowing red but still not catch fire or melt and after the torch was removed the heat wrap cooled quickly.
I might have to try soaking a some of my left over wrap in oil then take the torch to it.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg

What a waste of time wrapping the Stock Cast exhaust manifolds, The cross pipe would be more worth the time.

Ti wrap is good at what it does and also not becoming a wic like fiberglass and other flammable wraps. I have personally taken a torch to TI wrap and watched it turn glowing red but still not catch fire or melt and after the torch was removed the heat wrap cooled quickly.
I might have to try soaking a some of my left over wrap in oil then take the torch to it.
Yea I like it so far....it stunk bad for a few weeks and smoked bad for about the first 15 mins of driving. Some of that was the penetrating oil I used on the dp bolts burning off tho.

I like the stuff. Very pliable and formable. After a drive I can pop my hood and put my finger on the top of the downpipe without getting a 3rd degree burn. Still hot as **** but nowhere near flesh burning.

Not planning on doing headers any time soon so no need to wrap anymore.

The heat wrap on my dp also keeps my atf nice and cool during operation and during warm up helps it warm up to temp a tad bit faster than just the radiator tempering it which is nice to not have hard shifts after startup.