Thank Brucelee for your high insurance rates

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Thank Brucelee for your high insurance rates

haha, just kidding Dan, but you dont help the cause.

my buddy sent me this email he got @ work. he works for an insurance company. onyl the first half is subaru related... everything else is babble.

Congrats I guess, Subaru WRX ranks No. 1 on the Top Ten list of models with the highest losses for all types of coverage.

(Copyright (c) 2009, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)
By Joseph B. White, The Wall Street Journal

The insurance industry doesn't like my car. It may not like yours, either.
You would do well to find out.
It's not that auto insurers have it out for my car, the Subaru Impreza WRX. It's just their business to keep track of what insurance claims all the people who drive my car file, and try to discern trends that will help them predict future losses, and charge accordingly.

On that score, the Subaru WRX apparently hasn't done so well.
In a report on insurance losses for 2005-2007 models released by the Highway Loss Data Institute earlier this month, the Subaru WRX ranks No. 1 on the Top Ten list of models with the highest losses for all types of coverage.
The HLDI ranks vehicles using an index in which 100 is average. The WRX scored a 189. That's close to my typical one-round golf score, and as in golf, higher is bad.

Auto insurance costs aren't the first thing most shoppers think about when they evaluate a new car to buy.
But it's an important cost to consider -- even if you decide, as I did, that you are willing to pay extra in order to drive a car you like.
If I buy a big car that gets 20 miles to the gallon, instead of a small car that sips fuel at the rate of 30 miles to the gallon, I could pay about $625 a year more for fuel, assuming gas stays at about $2.50 a gallon and I drive about 15,000 miles in a year.
If I choose to insure a Subaru WRX at my new address in Washington, D.C., I could pay $576 a year more than if I purchased the same coverage for a 2007 Ford Five Hundred, which is among the 10 vehicles with the lowest overall insurance losses, according to the HLDI study. I got those prices from Allstate Corp.'s online price quoting site.

What you drive is an important factor, because insurance companies factor the claims experiences related to certain models into their rate setting.
Even if you have a spotless record of safe, accident-free driving in a Subaru WRX, you are also paying for the damage racked up by the other WRX drivers who aren't as careful as you are with this high-performance, turbo-charged machine.

"It's in more frequent crashes and it takes more insurance dollars to repair them," says Kim Hazelbaker senior vice president of the Highway Loss Data Institute.

Michael McHale, a spokesman for Subaru's U.S. sales arm, says he hasn't seen the HLDI survey, but points out that Subaru models, including the WRX, get good ratings from HLDI's allied organization, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
"We always encourage responsible driving," he says.
What are the cars with the lowest -- meaning best -- overall claims experience?
The best on the HLDI's ranking of 2005-2007 models is a vehicle that is out of production, the Buick Rendezvous, a midsize crossover wagon.
Three of the top 10 are minivans, including the Honda Odyssey, the Chrysler Town and Country long wheelbase model, and the discontinued Buick Terrazza.

Two are station wagons, the Volvo V70 and the Subaru Outback. The Ford Five Hundred, a large sedan that has been restyled and renamed the Ford Taurus, is in at No. 7.
From this, you'd assume that those insurance actuaries are killjoys out to confine us all in the most boring vehicles possible.
But that's not quite fair.
Three of the vehicles that appear on the ranking of cars with the lowest overall insurance claims are sports cars: the Chevrolet Corvette, theMazda Miata and the Pontiac Solstice, a small roadster that competes with the Miata for customers in second childhood who want a breezy two-seater but don't desire to spend the money required for a 'Vette.
The car with the best ranking for personal injury claims is the Porsche 911 convertible, followed by the 911 coupe.
"A big piece is where and when these vehicles are operated," Mr. Hazelbaker says.
Exotic sports cars usually aren't driven through the hurly-burly of weekday rush-hour traffic.
They are generally reserved for weekends, when there's less chance of a fender bender, though if you do hit something in your sports car, the bill for fixing your vehicle will be steep -- more than double the average claim, according to the HLDI data.
Knowing the HLDI scores for a car can be useful, even if they aren't the decisive factor in a purchase.
Mr. Hazelbaker says parents buying a car for teens might make good use of these data to avoid getting sticker shock when they try to cover their young drivers.

A kid who is driving a Scion tC (second-worst on the overall claims list for 2005-2007 models) or one of the other worst-ranked cars on HLDI's list might think she looks cool.
However, she will find that she has a lot less money to spend at the gas station and Buffalo Wild Wings.
Besides, who's paying those bills anyway?
---

Last edited by Irish_car_B0mb; 09-24-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Yea we all know this =P. Kinda like when I was 16 my insurance was 3k for 6 months, not even in a subaru. LoL
Old 09-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
ahhaha, why me!?

My insurance rates used to be soooo high when I was younger, but since my record is clean and I've been driving since I was 16 (29 now) I pay $600 every 6 months for full coverage as well as some bonus coverage (higher insurance coverage). This is an awesome deal considering that Im alone on my plan and my car is a 2007 STi.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
The Evo is high too.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 PM

you dont have the best track record with cars the last several months. mainly your most recent sideswipe or whatever happend, and when you totaled your wrx
Old 09-24-2009, 11:00 PM

Car Info: Heated Leather Seats
My WRX is the only car that I have ever owned where the insurance actually went down after the first 6 months of ownership.

Stumped.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
you dont have the best track record with cars the last several months. mainly your most recent sideswipe or whatever happend, and when you totaled your wrx
Yeah, that was weak! Fortunate for me it wasn't my fault and didn't go on my record.

You're right though, I forgot that I actually do have a point, but my insurance never went up after getting it which was weird, and it's been well over a year, all the same price still.

<---- When it rains, it POURS in my life.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
i pay 750~ every 6 months for my WRX and I'm only 21 but i have good student and driver discount and a car alarm, yes you get money off if you have one. But it was so much when i was 19 it was ridiculous. But the funny thing is I pay less than my gf who has a 94 4runner

Our rates are only going get worst once the ricers get 04/05 stis in a few years when they get cheaper!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned Wagon ;)
since were on this insurance talk is it 3 years to clear accidents?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by leftcoast_650
yep as long as its not DUI related.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by leftcoast_650
its 3 for something and 5 for something else i think maybe tickets...
Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 PM

I know tickets are 3 and so are the average accident from experience and my friend who was 1 ticket away from losing his license.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Mine's about $700 for 6 months. It's a 2000 2.5RS. Clean record, practically 0 claims since I've owned it for the past 7 years. So dumb. Ugh.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
we pay about 1K (6m) for a 07 sti 09 tribeca and 07 honda civic ex. When we had 2 sti's and the honda we paid 1200. Its full coverage with 100 deductible.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:52 AM

Car Info: 08 Wrx hatch
I pay $637 every 6 months..I am 23 with an 08 hatch wrx. Just don't get tickets and your good.

Quick Reply: Thank Brucelee for your high insurance rates