Test drove a Evo MR today....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:43 PM
diz

Car Info: 04 sti / 02 wrx / 01 cbr600 f4i
Originally Posted by zumnwrx
omg i thought the honda motor was bad... man drifto
edgar,
i think the car you're talking about is the sun lotus elise R. yes the powerplant of choice is the b18c5 (96-01 integra type R) 1.8 liter. it puts out just over 200 hp, but in tests it ran circles around an 03 cobra R...even on the drag strip.

but to get back on track, i agree that the evo mr definitely isn't worth the money when there's a car like the sti out on the market. basically an evo is a turbo honda that spins the rear wheels also. i guess u can't expect much from a company that makes microwaves

-marc
Old 02-01-2005, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
I was under the impression Cobra R's were released ever 5 years.....95, and 2000 being the last two....I could be wrong tho.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by diz
but to get back on track, i agree that the evo mr definitely isn't worth the money when there's a car like the sti out on the market. basically an evo is a turbo honda that spins the rear wheels also. i guess u can't expect much from a company that makes microwaves

-marc
WOW.

How is it a turbo honda that spins its rear wheels also?

That is by far the worst comparison I have ever heard in my life.

and comparing it to an STi....that is not fair at all....for the STi.

Can you please tell me what makes you think that this car is such a POS?

Or is it just jealousy?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
Or is it just jealousy?

Hell yeah, Im jealous, I dont have one
Old 02-01-2005, 05:48 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Hell yeah, Im jealous, I dont have one
same here, I should have stolen Bryans deal

Old 02-01-2005, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
same here, I should have stolen Bryans deal

Too bad, so sad.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
WOW.

Or is it just jealousy?
I've called it a '4 door econo car w/ good power and added AWD' and I think he may be taking this silly term 1 stage further, to the point where it doesn't make sense anymore. Still, in my own life - I have heard worse comparisons.

For me, I know that the EVO is a very well respected, potent car. I know that there are many people that love it, and I would never want to try to make them think differently. That, silly, very needed disclaimer out of the way, here's why I don't think EVOs rule the AWD zippy car class:

- It's basically a FWD car that has been converted to AWD by adding a transfer case and other needed equipment. It's AWD system has the capability of sending between 0 and 50% of it's power to the rear wheels, but is primarily a FWD car. Since the computer has the ability to send 100% of the power to the front. It also involves steering wheel position when determining it's percentage of power to the rear wheels. Compare this to Subarus which were designed as AWD cars on purpose, and have a much better* AWD system. Check out the C&D article where the EVO's performance on wet was worse than on dry where the STi's was the same wet/dry.

- The stock boost limits are silly on the standard EVO (19PSI), even worse on the MR (21.5PSI) and are totally un-necessary to achieve those power levels - as demonstrated by other turbo cars.

- The horror stories. We've all heard them, and I guess we all know how much salt to take with them. Since I don't know much about EVOs, I will leave this at that. I have heard the horror stories, but aside from the track report from One Lap I read where every EVO in attendance at Sears had some catastrophic engine failure (I think Shiv's was only a crank angle sensor) I haven't heard any first-hand reports.

Of course, I have never driven an EVO, so naturally I don't know what I am talking about.

-Jacob

*It's better in my opinion - I have my reasons, but am tired of typing. If anything I have noted is wrong, I would love to hear about it. I think EVOs are cool, but I wouldn't buy one. Please tip your waitresses.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by earlyapex
Too bad, so sad.
You nabbed the $22k one? If so - that's a hot deal.

-Jacob
Old 02-01-2005, 06:17 PM
diz

WOW.

Or is it just jealousy?
transversely mounted (sorry jacob LOL) inline 4 with the header towards the front of the car...it's the same design as 4 banger hondas (exc. s2k). maybe it was the worst comparison you've ever heard cuz you didn't understand it?

and if u re-read my post you'll see i never said the evo mr was a "pos"...i just said it wasn't worth the money when the consumer has the choice of a competitively priced sti.

i think a good watch for you would be the best motoring impreza vs evo video. i saw it posted here in the videos section. they have a guest appearance from a subaru japan engineer and he explains the meaning of the term "symmetrical 4wd" that you always hear in subaru commercials over here. this is in addition to commentary by drift king as he tests 3 different generations of lancers and imprezas on the track.

-marc

Last edited by diz; 02-01-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM
diz

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I've called it a '4 door econo car w/ good power and added AWD' and I think he may be taking this silly term 1 stage further, to the point where it doesn't make sense anymore. Still, in my own life - I have heard worse comparisons.

For me, I know that the EVO is a very well respected, potent car. I know that there are many people that love it, and I would never want to try to make them think differently. That, silly, very needed disclaimer out of the way, here's why I don't think EVOs rule the AWD zippy car class:

- It's basically a FWD car that has been converted to AWD by adding a transfer case and other needed equipment. It's AWD system has the capability of sending between 0 and 50% of it's power to the rear wheels, but is primarily a FWD car. Since the computer has the ability to send 100% of the power to the front. It also involves steering wheel position when determining it's percentage of power to the rear wheels. Compare this to Subarus which were designed as AWD cars on purpose, and have a much better* AWD system. Check out the C&D article where the EVO's performance on wet was worse than on dry where the STi's was the same wet/dry.

- The stock boost limits are silly on the standard EVO (19PSI), even worse on the MR (21.5PSI) and are totally un-necessary to achieve those power levels - as demonstrated by other turbo cars.

- The horror stories. We've all heard them, and I guess we all know how much salt to take with them. Since I don't know much about EVOs, I will leave this at that. I have heard the horror stories, but aside from the track report from One Lap I read where every EVO in attendance at Sears had some catastrophic engine failure (I think Shiv's was only a crank angle sensor) I haven't heard any first-hand reports.

Of course, I have never driven an EVO, so naturally I don't know what I am talking about.

-Jacob

*It's better in my opinion - I have my reasons, but am tired of typing. If anything I have noted is wrong, I would love to hear about it. I think EVOs are cool, but I wouldn't buy one. Please tip your waitresses.
werd...the best motoring vid i mentioned in my previous post explains the subaru 4wd system pretty well in lay man's terms.

-marc
Old 02-01-2005, 06:25 PM
diz

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
I was under the impression Cobra R's were released ever 5 years.....95, and 2000 being the last two....I could be wrong tho.
ehh im not sure of the year cobra R it was...maybe a 2000. you may be right. but the article can be found in some past sport compact car magazine.

-marc