Test drove a Evo MR today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 03 Legacy GT Wagon
Test drove a Evo MR today....

I went out with the sales person and he let me beat on it (I bought a ML55 from him). I was kinda disappointed because i went in with high hopes from all the reading and talk about the MR. First off the ride is pretty smooth with not much feed back. The car takes off but in the higher rpm band seems to hit a wall and tops off (as though it's out of breath). The steering feels nice since it close ratio. The seats also hold you firmly in place. The tranny's gearing is nice in the twisties but on the straight are really long and seems to take forever to hit redline. Turn in's are stable and predictable with slight oversteer. Overall it's nice but i would'nt trade in my wagon for it. I'm sure if the MR spent some time with the tuners out there it would come out of it's shell and **** me off. The only thing that i really liked and still remember really clear is the sound of the turbo spooling up to that long redline. It's not worth the $42k they are asking(damn $6k markup) , But that's my opinion.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Evo's in general have a really nice turbo sound, even when you just start up the car.

-GDO
Old 01-27-2005, 11:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
eh... there all over rated!

kinda like me
edgar,
Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
42K is retarded

have you ever driven an STI as well? would like to get a chance to drive an MR one of these days too.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
I think its Mitsu's attempt at keeping the cars easy to drive....you are correct sir, let a tuner have some time with it on a dyno and thow a few upgrades on and the car will most definately come alive...
Old 01-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
I think its Mitsu's attempt at keeping the cars easy to drive....you are correct sir, let a tuner have some time with it on a dyno and thow a few upgrades on and the car will most definately come alive...
already done

FQ400

http://www.fast-autos.net/mitsubishi...ishifq400.html
Old 01-28-2005, 02:02 AM
VIP Member

Yes yes....I know, but we dont have the FQs over here so they dont count....
Old 01-28-2005, 03:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx WRBlue ~v34 sold/ 05evo MR ^_^
WHAT DA........... they let you test drive one?!?!?!? and he let you redline it? WHAT??? which dealer is this?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 AM

They don't do test drives. I bought a ML from them so they let me drive the MR. Nobody get's to drive the Evo's, a older gentleman came in driving a S500 Benz wanting a test drive and they told him basically to take a hike (not in those words). The salesman let me do whatever i wanted that was the cool part of the 30+ mile outing.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:18 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
I think they didnt let the guy in the S500 drive it cuz they probably realized he wasn't serious about it and he just wanted to go for a joy ride.

I went to a mitsubishi dealer in my WRX and they let me drive the car without any questions, I beat the **** out of it too and the salesman didnt care.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
I think they didnt let the guy in the S500 drive it cuz they probably realized he wasn't serious about it and he just wanted to go for a joy ride.

I went to a mitsubishi dealer in my WRX and they let me drive the car without any questions, I beat the **** out of it too and the salesman didnt care.

But was it an MR? The GSR's are drivable, this I know cuz I have driven one....doesn't really suprise me that they aren't letting people test drive the MR's.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 06' White GDF 18x10 Wrong Fitment Crew #001
Originally Posted by rxvagon
I went out with the sales person and he let me beat on it (I bought a ML55 from him). I was kinda disappointed because i went in with high hopes from all the reading and talk about the MR. First off the ride is pretty smooth with not much feed back. The car takes off but in the higher rpm band seems to hit a wall and tops off (as though it's out of breath). The steering feels nice since it close ratio. The seats also hold you firmly in place. The tranny's gearing is nice in the twisties but on the straight are really long and seems to take forever to hit redline. Turn in's are stable and predictable with slight oversteer. Overall it's nice but i would'nt trade in my wagon for it. I'm sure if the MR spent some time with the tuners out there it would come out of it's shell and **** me off. The only thing that i really liked and still remember really clear is the sound of the turbo spooling up to that long redline. It's not worth the $42k they are asking(damn $6k markup) , But that's my opinion.

what mods do u have on ur wagon?
Old 01-28-2005, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
On the Slip N Grip Thunderhill track day a couple weeks ago, one of the new MRs was chasing me around the course, he could take my wagon on the straightaway but seemed only a bit faster in the turns. And my wagon has only a sedan swaybar, stock wheels with the original RE92s, and strutbars. Made me feel really good to realize it's the souped-up MR when he passed me in the straightline.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Sucks for that MR driver.....arent they supposed to be bomb *** track cars right out of the box? And dude, ur brave...tracking ur car on those RE92s.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:55 PM

It's the driver...The tool does'nt make the job easier it's knowing how to use it.

Quick Reply: Test drove a Evo MR today....