Test drive of BMW 330 Ci and Ford ZX4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:17 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Test drive of BMW 330 Ci and Ford ZX4

Hey all, since my Suby is still in the shop after 50 days!

I have been renting different cars - this week it was a 2005 BMW 330 Ci 2 door with the Performance Sport package (+5 hp, M3 wheels and bumpers, M3 steering wheel covered with suede, M3 suspension).

+looks good, very smooth transmission, good seats and interior. Good color choice too, mine was silver gray with black leather interior. Suspension was good, cornering was fun! felt like a perfect 50/50 weight ratio, good brakes and it has a pretty tight turning radius. Cockpit was comfortable, clean and quiet. Averaged 25 MPG.

-manual transmissions are kind of rare. You have to request one and I did try the BMW version of tiptronic and didn't care for it, better than nothing, but it's clumbsy, shifter should be on the steering wheel. I also felt acceleration was only fair for a $50K car but it was ultra smooth. The tiptronic lacked any real sporty feel for the transmission - it was slow to hit and shifting was slow to engage. I like to drive with the steering wheel at or near the lowest position, but in the BMW, I couldn't see the top of the tach if I did that. Damn seatbelts sit way behind the driver, hard to reach if you are already sitting in the car.

Next up - ran out of money took the insurance Ford Focus ZX4.

This car had way more leg and head room than I expected for a little Ford. It also had above average handling (suspension during turns) for such a low cost car. The engine was really small but it accellerated better than I ever expected since Ford has managed to change the final drive ratio - two different final drive ratios! so the gearing is matched very well to the size of the engine. I would never buy a Focus for myself, but if I needed a little car, I would use this as the benchmark to measure others against.

+ Suspension/handling, leg room.

-The car is loud and doesn't give any feeling of being "solid" like like the BMW does. Engine is underpowered. Seats are just mediocre.

Any thoughts from anyone else?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:08 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I've driven 330ci w/ SMG, which is not the standard manumatic and thought it was well matched to the motor and car, albeit a bit strange for someone who is used to driving stick. I've also driven a Focus (2001 ZX3) they're . . . OK, if I were in the market for a car in that class I'd be getting a Mazda 3s, which actually shares some parts, but has much better build quality and better options (and a better motor).
Old 12-05-2004, 07:06 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
antioch,
so how about a comparo between your wrx and the test driven 330? would you trade your current ride for it?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by jdepould
but has much better build quality and better options (and a better motor).
The build quality in the 2nd generation USDM focus is nearly identical to that of the Mazda 3. And the 2.3 liter Mazda moter is now available in the new generation as well. COmparing the latest Mazda 3 to the previous generation focus is like apples to oranges. A proper comparo with the ZX3 you drove would be the Protoge, which had neither a better motor nor better build quality than you ZX3 you drove. Anywhoo, I too would prefer the Mazda 3 based on styling and options (such as xenon lights, leather seating, and a navigation system.)

-Chris
Old 12-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
I have been renting different cars - this week it was a 2005 BMW 330 Ci 2 door with the Performance Sport package (+5 hp, M3 wheels and bumpers, M3 steering wheel covered with suede, M3 suspension).
this car has 10 more hp and the suspension is just a bit better tuned, not really M3 suspension
Old 12-06-2004, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
The build quality in the 2nd generation USDM focus is nearly identical to that of the Mazda 3. And the 2.3 liter Mazda moter is now available in the new generation as well. COmparing the latest Mazda 3 to the previous generation focus is like apples to oranges. A proper comparo with the ZX3 you drove would be the Protoge, which had neither a better motor nor better build quality than you ZX3 you drove. Anywhoo, I too would prefer the Mazda 3 based on styling and options (such as xenon lights, leather seating, and a navigation system.)

-Chris
wanna bet? I drive a protege, it'll take out a ZX3 easily, better motor and better build quality. My cupholders haven't broken, and neither have my handles for adjusting my seat
Old 12-06-2004, 08:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
ford focus is the best beater rental ever! especially when the e-brake works still

haha
edgar,
oh and since it dont have abs this makes stopping fun fun fun every time! haha especially in parking garages
Old 12-06-2004, 08:43 AM

wanna bet? I drive a protege, it'll take out a ZX3 easily, better motor and better build quality. My cupholders haven't broken, and neither have my handles for adjusting my seat
I think the Mazda looks better but the cup holders in the ZX4 can't be broken - there are four in the two front seats of which 3 can be reached by the driver. Good design.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Group B
this car has 10 more hp and the suspension is just a bit better tuned, not really M3 suspension
Sorry, rental guy told me that it was M3 suspension. It was a touch soft for my liking, but I admit that on hard corners it was very balanced, better than my WRX.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by LMON50
antioch,
so how about a comparo between your wrx and the test driven 330? would you trade your current ride for it?
I wouldn't, but I admit that the interior is REALLY nice - lots of details such as refined leather seats, controls on the steering wheel for the radio and cruise control, rear seats that FOLD DOWN, Xenon headlights, quite and smooth. The fit and finish of this car is way above average. The engine just can't compare to my car though and I prefere my suspension package, but the 50/50 weight ratio on the BMW does make it a very good cornering car.

I guess if what I did was LOTS of highway miles, I'd probably switch cars - the BMW really is a smooth ride without being bouncy.

Last edited by AntiochCali; 12-06-2004 at 10:07 AM. Reason: BMW 330 vs My WRX
Old 12-06-2004, 08:53 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
I think the Mazda looks better but the cup holders in the ZX4 can't be broken - there are four in the two front seats of which 3 can be reached by the driver. Good design.
The 2005 focus has a pretty dope motor, even on the base model, and it will dust a 2004 and older zx3.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:58 AM

oops

Sorry, I need to read before I post

Last edited by AntiochCali; 12-06-2004 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Edited for stupidity.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I drive a protege, it'll take out a ZX3 easily, better motor and better build quality.
Ok... I never said a protege couldn't 'beat' a zx3, I have no clue if it would or would not, I just said that its motor is no better. Both vehicles use a very similar 2 Liter 130hp unit. The fact that you can beat zx3s may be more a matter of weight or gearing. Regarding build quality, my friends Protege has had several small things break in her interior, like the examples you metioned. Small stuff like that breaking can happen on any vehicle. My girlfriends focus, on the other hand, has had nothing break. It's all case by case, hell my driver's side window in my WRX broke when the car only had like 20k miles, and Subaru build-quality is just fine. Wait... why are we debating about either the ford or the mazda. I have to get back to work.

-Chris
Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Ok... I never said a protege couldn't 'beat' a zx3, I have no clue if it would or would not, I just said that its motor is no better. Both vehicles use a very similar 2 Liter 130hp unit. The fact that you can beat zx3s may be more a matter of weight or gearing. Regarding build quality, my friends Protege has had several small things break in her interior, like the examples you metioned. Small stuff like that breaking can happen on any vehicle. My girlfriends focus, on the other hand, has had nothing break. It's all case by case, hell my driver's side window in my WRX broke when the car only had like 20k miles, and Subaru build-quality is just fine. Wait... why are we debating about either the ford or the mazda. I have to get back to work.

-Chris
meh, no 2.0, I actually have an older and more reliable motor (same motor used in miata and it's built for boost), with 8 less hp, but it makes up for it in weight, because mine is significantly lighter than both the 3rd gen protege and ZX3. My friend has had a lot of stupid stuff break in her focus, and driving it is . . . meh at best, the suspension is fairly well sorted, but I still don't like it. Besides, I just like being contrary!

Quick Reply: Test drive of BMW 330 Ci and Ford ZX4