Temporary Operating Permit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRB WRX
Temporary Operating Permit

What's up guys, I just have a quick question regarding those TOP's issued by the DMV. Hopefully someone may have some info, since I couldn't get through to the DMV via telephone.

Would I be able to attain some kind of extension if I go past the allowed 60-days given to pass a smog test? I know 60 days is more than enough time, however my work schedule gets in the way among other things that prevented me from getting this done. And throughout the last three weeks I've been back at the smog station and they've told me I need to drive around more. I have exactly one week until my TOP expires.

I've read the dmv website over and over trying to find some information on permit extensions and had no luck which is why I figured I'd ask you guys here....or perhaps the answer is there, but it's probably just not worded directly to that issue.

TIA! -Patrick
Notes:
*All registration fees have been paid for.
*Dis/reconnected sensor cables/harnesses
*Performed drive cycle multiple times
*On 1st visit to smog station, test was done and passed visual, and emissions but not the functional portion due to one monitor not being ready. On 2nd visit, my battery got disconnected on accident two days prior, resulting in three important monitors not being ready yet. Fail.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
you will only be able to get 1 day permits. Have to go get one, and its only valid for one day, you can specify a day in the future.

if you have AAA they can do it at any office with dmv services.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Temporary Operating Permit TOP Fee FFVR 36

Questions & Answers
Q: Why is DMV charging for a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP) fee when I have evidence that my vehicle did not pass the biennial smog certification?
A: The new law, effective January 1, 2009, requires DMV to collect a fee before issuing a temporary permit when a biennial smog certification is required and has not been completed. (California Vehicle Code §4156)

Q: Do I have to pay all the appropriate vehicle registration fees prior to receiving a TOP?
A: Yes. All fees, including any outstanding parking citations, must be paid and/or cleared before a TOP can be issued.

Q: Do I have to present evidence that my vehicle did not pass smog certification to request a TOP?
A: Yes. You must first provide a copy of the failed smog test report.

Q: What is the TOP fee?
A: The fee is $50.

Q: Can the fee be waived?
A: The fee can be waived only if the registered owner provides a Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) letter from the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) which indicates he/she qualifies for repair assistance as a low-income applicant. To qualify for CAP, your household income must meet the income guidelines set by BAR. Consult with the BAR for further information at Bureau of Automotive Repair, State of California, Dept. of Consumer Affairs. The fee will not be refunded if you present an eligibility letter after receiving a TOP.

Q: How long does it take to receive the CAP letter from BAR?
A: According to the BAR, it takes approximately 14 days to have an application for financial assistance processed and approved.

Q: How long is the TOP valid?
A: The TOP is valid for 60 days after the vehicle expiration date or 60 days after the date the vehicle is removed from Planned Non-Operation (PNO) status.

Q: Where does the money go?
A: After deducting DMV administrative costs, the fee is deposited into the High Polluter Repair or Removal Account, in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund.

Q: Can I get a second TOP if the first TOP expired and my vehicle still has not passed the smog certification?
A: No. Only one TOP can be issued to the same vehicle owner in a two-year period.

Q: Can I get a second TOP if the initial TOP is lost or stolen?
A: Yes, as long as the date is still within 60 days of the registration expiration date, or from the day the vehicle was removed from PNO status. However, you will have to pay another $50, unless you were issued a no fee TOP.

Q: If my vehicle registration has expired over 60 days and has not passed the smog certification, can a TOP be issued?
A: No. A TOP can only be issued within 60 days of the vehicle expiration date or within 60 days from the date the vehicle was removed from PNO status.

Q: I purchased a vehicle through a private sale, and the registration fees are due. The vehicle did not pass smog certification; will there be a fee for a TOP?
A: No. The TOP-fee and 60-day restriction do not apply on a private party sale that requires a smog certificate. However, family transfers and other transactions that require biennial smog are subject to the TOP fee and 60-day restriction.

Q: My vehicle registration expired last week, and is due for a biennial smog certification. If I pay for the registration fees and penalties, can I get a TOP?
A: No. All vehicle registration renewal transactions requiring a biennial smog certification must first show proof that the vehicle failed the most recent smog test and pay the $50 fee to receive a TOP.

Q: If I pay for the vehicle registration renewal and $50 for the TOP, but later decide to place the vehicle on PNO before I use the TOP, can I get a refund? If not, will I have to pay the fee when the vehicle is removed from PNO?
A: The TOP fee is non-refundable. When the vehicle is removed from PNO, the vehicle is eligible for a TOP, and unless the owner qualifies for the CAP, they will have to pay another $50 fee.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by international B
you will only be able to get 1 day permits. Have to go get one, and its only valid for one day, you can specify a day in the future.
Yep, this is what I did. My car was down in my garage due to a fuel leak and I didn't have time/money to fix the leak, register, and smog it, so I registered it as a non-op. Once I finally fixed it, I paid the registration fee and the DMV gave me a one day pass to get it smogged. It's a simple form that you write in the date you need to drive it and sign in ink.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
I appreciate you taking the liberty to look up and copy&paste that information, but I am past that point. I've read that page numerous times. Maybe on my part I failed to mention that i currently have a TOP sticker on my car. I've paid the $50, and I came close to the 60 days. However it doesn't even matter anymore as I was able to pass smog earlier this afternoon.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI Limited and 1998 Legacy GT Wagon
When did your registration expire and what month is your TOP?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 AM

My registration expired at the end of January and my TOP was valid until March 10th. I had all fees paid for etc. The reason for posting this thread was to see what I would be able to do in the event of my TOP expiring and not having passed smog yet. Couldn't find the answers on the dmv website anywhere. But since I was able to pass smog the other day it's all good.

/thread