Teen dies while (street) racing his 2006 STI

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Teen dies while racing his 2006 STI

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...alnearwest-hed

sad to hear. but maybe parents wont buy their 16yr old son's STI's after reading this.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
get a 4.0, get a sti

Must be nice

unless you get the sti, and then die
Old 05-31-2006, 11:11 AM

Car Info: '13 BRZ - SWP
.. eh.. lets not begin ranting about sti driver age again.. or this thread will never end
Old 05-31-2006, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
It is sad, but I blame the parents. There was a sixteen year old kid where I live whose parents bought him a new CBR 600 a few years back, he was traveling about 70ish down linclon ave. (school zone) when he hit an old lady in a buick head on. Sad, but parents are ****ing stupid for buying a STi let alone a sportbike, for a teenager.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sjice
.. eh.. lets not begin ranting about sti driver age again.. or this thread will never end
I take it your parents bought you an STi? lol
Old 05-31-2006, 11:13 AM

Car Info: '13 BRZ - SWP
.. so much for that.. here we go
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Here we go what? Some duimbass parents bought thier kid a car capable of 160mph, he drove it like you'd expect from the average 16 year old and died in a race, end of story.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:18 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Here we go what? Some duimbass parents bought thier kid a car capable of 160mph, he drove it like you'd expect from the average 16 year old and died in a race, end of story.
Pretty much
Old 05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
street racing is bad
Old 05-31-2006, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by A.V.E.
drunken street racing is bad
Fixed

The article said both were drinking and driving STi's. You can bet there will be some suby profiling going on in lake county.
I guess it just goes to show that intelligence and education are two totally different things.

Ryan Meinken spent much of Memorial Day polishing the sports car he got for being an honor roll student at Carmel High School in Mundelein.

By evening, he was dead, killed while apparently racing his brother at speeds witnesses said may have exceeded 100 m.p.h., a Lake County sheriff's spokesman said.

Meinken, 17, of Green Oaks, and his brother, Chris, 21, were driving powerful versions of 2006 Subaru Imprezas on Buckley Road in an unincorporated area near Libertyville about 5:30 p.m. Monday when Ryan collided with two cars and crashed into a wooded area, Sgt. Christopher Thompson said.

The brothers had gone to get gas for their cars and were returning home, said their mother, Nancy McDonald-Meinken. She said she didn't know if they were speeding but denied they had been drag-racing.

Ryan Meinken was pronounced dead at the scene. Chris Meinken was not injured, and the people in the other vehicles were taken to hospitals for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, Thompson said.

An investigation of the accident may take up to two weeks, he said. No charges had been filed Tuesday.

Ryan Meinken had a blood-alcohol level of 0.02, said Lake County Coroner Richard Keller, below the legal limit of 0.08 for adults but above the state's zero-tolerance threshold for minors.

"Our hearts go out to the family," Thompson said. "But it does serve as a sobering and glaring reminder that our young people desperately need to start making better decisions when they get behind the wheel of a car."

Witnesses said the two cars appeared to be racing on a four-lane stretch of Illinois Highway 137, also known as Buckley Road, when Ryan Meinken's car rear-ended a Honda Accord carrying four people at Oak Grove Avenue. He then spun into a Jeep Cherokee traveling in the opposite direction before careering off the road.

It was unclear if he was wearing a seat belt, Thompson said.

Police and local hospitals declined to release the names of the people who were in the other cars or information on their conditions.

McDonald-Meinken said her son was a junior on the honor roll and took Advanced Placement classes at Carmel, a Catholic school in Mundelein. He had participated in track and wrestling and spent several years playing soccer, she said.

He had been interested in a career in nuclear physics since 5th grade and wanted to attend the California Institute of Technology, McDonald-Meinken said.

"He had a whole idea of what he wanted to do," she said. "He wanted to work to try to make nuclear energy more environmentally friendly."

The family moved from Connecticut to Green Oaks, near Libertyville, three years ago, she said.

Ryan Meinken had worked at Cousins Subs in Libertyville for the last few months and planned to work all summer to maintain his car, his mother said.

On Memorial Day, "he had just spent all day washing and waxing it," she said.

Tuesday would have been the last day of classes for Ryan Meinken before final exams began at Carmel, said Rev. Robert Carroll, the school's principal.

Students and teachers gathered for a prayer service in the gymnasium before the school day began. Counselors visited all of Ryan Meinken's classes.

"They were very solemn and hurt by his death," Carroll said.

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 05-31-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:27 AM

Car Info: Subaru PSM Wrx 05 w/ Mud guards Red 88 Conquest
Yeah, lets blame the frickin car.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 AM

Car Info: '21 STI
Those pix are crazy. Another one bites the dust....
Old 05-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
good thing my parents only bought me a measly WRX.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Man, I got an 89 maxima.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Meep Meep!
Mine was a beat up FC that my folks bought for 2k.

Quick Reply: Teen dies while (street) racing his 2006 STI