Tanker truck, car collide; causes fuel spill (dubln/san ramon)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Tanker truck, car collide; causes fuel spill (dubln/san ramon)

everything all around my house is pretty much blocked off
there has been a chopper flying overhead all afternoon

dublin high is around the corner, and it got all blocked off.

there is fear of fire starting from all the fumes in the storm drains.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/19604309/detail.html
Crews Try To Contain Gas From Tanker Truck Spill

Posted: 1:10 pm PDT May 29, 2009Updated: 5:01 pm PDT May 29, 2009
SAN RAMON, Calif. -- Eight more homes in Dublin have been evacuated Friday afternoon while hazardous materials crews begin vacuuming gasoline-contaminated water out of storm drains along Village Parkway, San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District spokeswoman Kim French said.

The spill happened at 10:43 a.m. at the Chevron station at 21320 San Ramon Valley Blvd. at Alcosta Boulevard in San Ramon when a car and a gasoline tanker collided, French said.

Officials have estimated that between 1,400 and 2,800 gallons of gasoline spilled into a storm drain that leads from San Ramon and along Village Parkway in Dublin, where it empties into San Ramon Creek, French said.

Crews have brought in a 20,000 containment tank and are planning to vacuum the mixture of gasoline and water out of the storm drain into the tank.

The gas station, the Dublin San Ramon Village Plaza shopping center and about 25 homes on Frederiksen Lane were evacuated earlier today, French said.

The eight additional homes that are being evacuated are on Brighton Drive, French said.

Evacuees are being directed to the Dublin Senior Center on Amador Valley Boulevard in Dublin.

Students at Dublin High School were told to shelter in place throughout the day, but were allowed to leave when the school day ended.

All events that were scheduled to take place Friday night at the high school have been canceled, French said.

Hazardous materials crews determined earlier today that there was no health hazard at two nearby elementary schools, Murray Elementary and Frederiksen Elementary, and students were not impacted by the spill, French said.

Crews are continuing to monitor air quality around the drainage system and creek.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 02 MBP wagon: got groceries?
Was a pain for me to get home after getting off 680. Was driving around town, trying to find a way across SRV Rd. That's when I found that Village Parkway at DHS was closed. You can smell the gas fumes in the air. Did they evacuate your neighborhood at all?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Damm... I hope everyone in the accident is okay..
Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM

rescuer I saw the hazmat fire guy on the news, he had a saucy *** led head/helmet light setup that looked like 30 led's. U know what im talking about
Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
i saw it. we had some alco guys out there. and san ramon valley. pretty cool helmet light setup.