Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:16 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by dan avoN7
I can't believe I actually read STiYLIN's posts in this thread. how can you call someone biased when they have owned each car. IMO you are the one that is biased.

evo ftw! i've drove my friends evo 8 before and loved it. I've also been in an evo 9 and agree with everyone's comments on the interior, better overall except for the gauge cluster.

I also like the EVO very much and think it's an awesome car and have never said otherwise. I think it is funny when people knock the subaru and say it is inferior in every way. I can show you people's opinions that had the EVO first, had issues and demons and switched to an STi. I would call their opinions biased too if they said the STi way superior in every way to the EVO. I hope you can understand something as simple as that.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by ucbsti
lol..he basically said everything I did
but he's not biased
Old 02-21-2007, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Originally Posted by STiYLIN

I was told it was at one time close to 400whp.
Not with a TME turbo it wasn't. It won't see past 350.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Not with a TME turbo it wasn't. It won't see past 350.
I am sure you know way more than I do. My points are being misconstrued here, and that totally could be my fault and my lack of communication skills. I am not trying to argue the 400whp and I am fine with being wrong with the number. My whole point was the evo is an awesome car, but when evo owners say it is better in every aspect to the STi I disagree. That is just my personal opinion and I stand by it. The only reason I mentioned Sean's car was to say I have driven/been around EVO's so I am not just basing my opinion on the fact that I have only driven an STi and own one (which I was accused of). No matter what the power levels were it was not stock and way faster than my car. He also had the car pretty light with CF hood, trunk, and some interior taken out which made it seem that much more nimble.

It just seems that you guys are taking what I am saying as the STi is superior and the EVO isn't and anyone who likes them better is biased. I just don't see why it is so hard to believe that if a guy switches from car A to car B and he obviously is going to say car B is better. UCBSTI comes across like the EVO is just far superior when other owners like Seranin, who chimed in weighs the good with the bad, and his overall opinion is the EVO is better and I guess I just respect the way he delivers the message. He doesn’t say absurd stuff like the "STi is scary @ speed" when the STi is very planted and capable at speed. "Tons of body roll" without a sunroof and a boxer engine? Sure the EVO might feel even better than the STi, but that automatically makes the STi "scary". Wow. I am done trying to "argue" on the internets about it and I hope I made my position a little more clear.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
I haven't contributed to any of the "EVO" vs "STi" discussion in this thread STiYLIN.

Last edited by earlyapex; 02-21-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX

It just seems that you guys are taking what I am saying as the STi is superior and the EVO isn't and anyone who likes them better is biased. I just don't see why it is so hard to believe that if a guy switches from car A to car B and he obviously is going to say car B is better. UCBSTI comes across like the EVO is just far superior when other owners like Seranin, who chimed in weighs the good with the bad, and his overall opinion is the EVO is better and I guess I just respect the way he delivers the message. He doesn’t say absurd stuff like the "STi is scary @ speed" when the STi is very planted and capable at speed. "Tons of body roll" without a sunroof and a boxer engine? Sure the EVO might feel even better than the STi, but that automatically makes the STi "scary". Wow. I am done trying to "argue" on the internets about it and I hope I made my position a little more clear.
LOL

Go read my post, then read seranin's. He really did say everything I did

-Handling/steering..it wins. He agreed its more planted and stable at speed. In comparison to the evo, yeah its a bit scary to me. I personally dont like sliding all around at 80mph with a squishy steering rack. And what does no sun-roof have to do with anything?
-Power...it wins (this is a hands down win)
-Interior..both cars are crap in the interior dept, evo wins due to the recaros, I really like the wheel better as well

His mains qualms with it were noise (the evo does have much of anything in the sound deadening dept) and sound (engine sound/exhaust note). I'll agree on those too, its a loud car to drive and the exhaust note isnt as distinctive as the suby

And he said it doesnt do as well in the dirt and has an inferior clutch, both things which I also stated and agreed to

Considering the evo wins in the major PERFORMANCE categories, yeah I think in that aspect it is in fact the superior car.

Little qualms like sound, engine note, and interior aesthetics are minor issues at best, and anyone truly interesting is piloting the higher performing car won't let them get in the way.

Is the STi a great car? Yes
Can it perform very well? Yes

Is the evo a higher performing car? Yes. Stock and modified
Can the evo perform better with less invested? Yes

Thats ultimately why I sold the sti and got the evo. Not only was the initial investment higher(36k OTD vs 31kOTD), but the cost to get to my goals was pretty astronomical compared to what the evo can do for very little invested. I essentially wanted 300-320whp on pump, with the sti you really need a TBE, headers, 20g, larger TMIC/FMIC, supporting fuel mods, extra money on the Cobb AP, then the cost of the tune. Not only was that a costly proposition, this also makes getting past cops and warranty work nearly impossible

With the evo you can do that with a TBE, drop in, and a tune. If I need warranty work swaping out the TBE is a 1hr job at most and you can just flash the stock ROM with ECUflash
Old 02-21-2007, 09:39 AM

LOL

Go read my post, then read seranin's. He really did say everything I did

-Handling/steering..it wins. He agreed its more planted and stable at speed. In comparison to the evo, yeah its a bit scary to me. I personally dont like sliding all around at 80mph with a squishy steering rack. And what does no sun-roof have to do with anything?
-Power...it wins (this is a hands down win)
-Interior..both cars are crap in the interior dept, evo wins due to the recaros, I really like the wheel better as well

His mains qualms with it were noise (the evo does have much of anything in the sound deadening dept) and sound (engine sound/exhaust note). I'll agree on those too, its a loud car to drive and the exhaust note isnt as distinctive as the suby

And he said it doesnt do as well in the dirt and has an inferior clutch, both things which I also stated and agreed to

Considering the evo wins in the major PERFORMANCE categories, yeah I think in that aspect it is in fact the superior car.

Little qualms like sound, engine note, and interior aesthetics are minor issues at best, and anyone truly interesting is piloting the higher performing car won't let them get in the way.

Is the STi a great car? Yes
Can it perform very well? Yes

Is the evo a higher performing car? Yes. Stock and modified
Can the evo perform better with less invested? Yes

Thats ultimately why I sold the sti and got the evo. Not only was the initial investment higher(36k OTD vs 31kOTD), but the cost to get to my goals was pretty astronomical compared to what the evo can do for very little invested. I essentially wanted 300-320whp on pump, with the sti you really need a TBE, headers, 20g, larger TMIC/FMIC, supporting fuel mods, extra money on the Cobb AP, then the cost of the tune. Not only was that a costly proposition, this also makes getting past cops and warranty work nearly impossible

With the evo you can do that with a TBE, drop in, and a tune. If I need warranty work swaping out the TBE is a 1hr job at most and you can just flash the stock ROM with ECUflash
dude, I already read everything you wrote before. Stop trying to beat the dead horse. I already said it's the way you make statements. If you would have stated your opinion and not said things like "the sti is scary at speed" Tons of body roll" I might have listened better to your points. But when I read stuff like that, when I know it is untrue it makes the rest of your opiniopn loose credibility in my eyes. Sorry I don't agree with you. That is not changing. Thanks for playing.

btw you paid 36k OTD for your STi? Wow.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by earlyapex
I haven't contributed to any of the "EVO" vs "STi" discussion in this thread STiYLIN.
Only the first sentence of that post was aimed to you The rest was just to everyone in the thread. I understand you only concern was the power of the silver 8 in question.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM

btw you paid 36k OTD for your STi? Wow.
Perhaps not 36k..it was definately higher than 34k though. I think it came just shy of 32k even with a 3000 mark down from MSRP since it had everything option

But thats fine if you don't agree with me simply because you think some of my personal experiences are over-stated. Considering I logged quite a few miles in both cars, my view point is about as unbiased as they come, and what I share is simply personal experience.

Considering you are the ONLY person in here diligently defending the subaru sti on a SUBARU site, speaks volumes about the evo and its shining points =). I guess someone needs to get the STis back, that someone just happens to be you, lol

Last edited by ucbsti; 02-21-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:20 AM

Considering you are the ONLY person in here diligently defending the subaru sti on a SUBARU site, speaks volumes about the evo and its shining points =). I guess someone needs to get the STis back, that someone just happens to be you, lol
I think that's where the confusion is, I an not dilegently defending the STi but rather no agreeing with (in my view) some of your absurd statments or "comparisons". LOL shurgs CHEERS&enjoy and all that stuff
Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 2007 STI
Wink

ummm... evo sounds and acts like a motorcycle... and sti.. is like a monster on wheels?.. shrugs.. =X
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
just wait for awhile, evo X its coming soon
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM

yeah I wouldnt got that car

The lastest rev of the 4g63 in the IX is the best most advanced yet.

The X may not offer a manual tranny, its a hideous beast, aluminum block, open-deck, etc

Get the IX, you can get one well below MSRP and you wont see any first-run issues that may arise with the X. Not to mention the after market support will be quite limited
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
get the evo...they take mods a lot better...and handle like no other
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
get the evo...they take mods a lot better...and handle like no other
OMG so biased!

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!