Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
Originally Posted by STiYLIN

And my experience is once with a 9, but I have driven a 400whp EVO 8 that Blinguskahn of GST built. So I have had some seat time.
Which 400whp EVO 8 is that?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
lol..yeah I never knew he had such an evo either.....
Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by earlyapex
Which 400whp EVO 8 is that?
Wow here we go. Ask D who built the car. You work with him right. He's pretty familar with it. Might have been 380whp but he knows the one.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 2006 Evo IX SSL
no matter how people start a "evo/sti" forum, it ends up with SOMEONE & another arguing which is better... then start questioning whether or not they've driven a 400+ hp car... the OP just wanted a little bit of insite to why he should NOT get an EVO. Hell they're both AWD, that right there is a powerful plus for both cars
Old 02-20-2007, 06:39 PM

Car Info: 2006 Evo IX SSL
Wow here we go. Ask D who built the car. You work with him right. He's pretty familar with it. Might have been 380whp but he knows the one.

Ha even I know that evo & never even been inside it! Tell u what, one of the quickest around for a while. I wouldnt question Blingus too much, he was around that evo quite often
Old 02-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Car Info: 2008 Red Alert Nissan Titan
okay, STYLIN... we didn't talk much about it so it's not a surprise that my words were misunderstood... i was just missing the off-boost throttle response of the sti. Your car also pulls quite nicely when boosted, there's no question. I can't wait for my exhaust & tune too. But the IX spools very fast, even untuned, considering the difference in displacement & stock turbo size with the sti.

Handling wise, I have to agree with ucbsti... the evo feels much more planted and stable than my '04 sti did. The MR suspension i have on is a bit soft, but once you learn how to drive it, it's pretty amazing. I can't comment on coilovers vs. the sti... my sti had pink springs and hotchkis sway bar setup

Performance wise, i'm 100% happy I went to the dark side.

That said, i will echo downsides of the evo...

(interior? no, only the instrument cluster is plain; otherwise it's the similar crappy vinyl in both cars).

The Evo is louder, both the engine with the IX gearing, and transfer case, transmission etc... the sti made noise but it wasn't as annoying

Clutch sucks! Prepare to upgrade.

Capability on gravel or very uneven pavement seems a bit worse than my sti...likely due to the suspension / chassis design.

Build quality isn't great, but not far worse than my sti so far; a couple rattles.

Evo engine / exhaust note. Sounds nice at idle (a purr...), but kind of plain up to 7k in my opinion. The distinctiveness of the STI was nice, though it *does* sound like an lawnmower underwater (thanks Sinister Subaru on EvoM).

Community? At least up in humboldt, yeah...where are the Evos? but it's not a big deal, we're all awd turbo freaks anyway.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by ucbsti
The OP asked to be talked out of buying an evo, so I'll help out

Dont buy the evo, its far too fast for the street, the steering is so twitchy you will end up 2 lanes over if you sneeze. The recaros hug you so much, if you are sporting any love handles you wont like them. If you have a short gf, she will complain that her head hits the holes for the harnesses and that the ride is very stiff, not to mention she will ask what all the whizzing sound is when you get on it.

In addition to this, the stock exhaust is pretty loud and you are likely to get pulled over for it, the stock tires are so sticky but only last 10-12k when driven hard. Plus there isnt any fancy cluster or 6-disc in dash CD player, however your eyes will always be glued on the road due to insane speed capabilities and said twitchy steering, so even if you had those luxuries, you would never be able to appreciate them.

Factor in the ease to hit 300whp+ with minimal mods, you will be burning holes in your pocket in no time to replace the clutch, possibly the TC, and lots of gas since you wont be able to control yourself. Not to mention the ability to run uber wide tires just compels one to slap on some 17x9s and run 255 or 275 wide tires all around. These are very expensive and can lead to neck injury when taking corners too quickly

In short...dont buy it, or it will quickly turn into a money pit once you see what other bay area evos are doing
lmao, I am getting a bit fat and my girlfriend is 4'11".... But I love the seats and I dont think she will mind.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Seranin
okay, STYLIN... we didn't talk much about it so it's not a surprise that my words were misunderstood... i was just missing the off-boost throttle response of the sti. Your car also pulls quite nicely when boosted, there's no question. I can't wait for my exhaust & tune too. But the IX spools very fast, even untuned, considering the difference in displacement & stock turbo size with the sti.

Handling wise, I have to agree with ucbsti... the evo feels much more planted and stable than my '04 sti did. The MR suspension i have on is a bit soft, but once you learn how to drive it, it's pretty amazing. I can't comment on coilovers vs. the sti... my sti had pink springs and hotchkis sway bar setup

Performance wise, i'm 100% happy I went to the dark side.

That said, i will echo downsides of the evo...

(interior? no, only the instrument cluster is plain; otherwise it's the similar crappy vinyl in both cars).

The Evo is louder, both the engine with the IX gearing, and transfer case, transmission etc... the sti made noise but it wasn't as annoying

Clutch sucks! Prepare to upgrade.

Capability on gravel or very uneven pavement seems a bit worse than my sti...likely due to the suspension / chassis design.

Build quality isn't great, but not far worse than my sti so far; a couple rattles.

Evo engine / exhaust note. Sounds nice at idle (a purr...), but kind of plain up to 7k in my opinion. The distinctiveness of the STI was nice, though it *does* sound like an lawnmower underwater (thanks Sinister Subaru on EvoM).

Community? At least up in humboldt, yeah...where are the Evos? but it's not a big deal, we're all awd turbo freaks anyway.

Haha, I knew you would chime in. And you know I love your car
Old 02-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon black
evo 9 cheers&ENJOY!!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
Buy The Evo!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
Originally Posted by Krinkov
I'll stick with the Suby because I plan on getting another wagon, if you dont care about having a wagon anymore than you should check out the EVO 9.
buy me a evo and ill give you the wagon. we both win.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:44 PM

It's too bad we don't get that EVO wagon. Talk about a grocery go getta.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
I can't believe I actually read STiYLIN's posts in this thread. how can you call someone biased when they have owned each car. IMO you are the one that is biased.

evo ftw! i've drove my friends evo 8 before and loved it. I've also been in an evo 9 and agree with everyone's comments on the interior, better overall except for the gauge cluster.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 PM

as for the cluster

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...spagenameZWDVW

ive seen em in person, help out quite a bit and look 100% OEM
Old 02-20-2007, 08:25 PM

Haha, I knew you would chime in. And you know I love your car
lol..he basically said everything I did

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!