Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by ucbsti

But when it comes to going fast on tarmac, the evo takes the cake.

And for those that like dirt, rain and snow?

Car Info: 2006 CGM WRX
there are far more forming STi/wrx owning people now with an evo, than there are former evo owning people now with an STi
ricers!
KareBear

Car Info: '07 SWP STi
who cares. if you have the money and you want an evo ix then get it. who are we to tell you what you should or shouldn't get. in the end it's all about what you want that makes you happy.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Evo's are tyte, I'll admit it again, and I'm an STi owner.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by Onizuka
Evo's are tyte, I'll admit it again, and I'm an STi owner.
Haha read my first comment in this thread (the one where it says the to get the evo because it is a great car). I never said which was better, just laughed at dude when he says crazy stuff like "STi's are scary at speed" and how the evo is better in every aspect. Who's the fanboi? Hahaha.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
the STi exhibits a ton of body roll. I dunno about you, but it is a bit scary to me trying to hang onto the wheel as you are being pushed into the passenger seat as you turn a corner at 70mph since the seats dont do ****. Factor in the squishy steering feel and it simply doesnt inspire confidence in holding a line (even if it does hold that line just fine). With the evo, you KNOW it will hold its line and you know exactly where the car will go if you point it there. The sti is much more unpredictable

The evo is better in the handling, power, steering, and driving feel aspect in my mind. Those are pretty big factors for a performance car..don't ya think?

I could care less about the defi cluster and 6-disc player, although the 6-speed in the STi is a gem
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
tis true..but all cars will have bugs when hitting high HP numbers

The main issues for the evo are the clutch and TC. As long as you dont drive like an idiot, you will see good life out of both, with the MR 6-speed having some issues as well (you can also ask Bryan@GST about those)
Oh ok. Kind of like the "subaru glass tranny" thing?

I was wondering about more reliability issues like Chrysler, Range Rover, or VW.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Oh ok. Kind of like the "subaru glass tranny" thing?

I was wondering about more reliability issues like Chrysler, Range Rover, or VW.
Exactly! If you are doing 7k clutch drops you will have issues. If you drive it properly, the chances of premature damage are much less
Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
Haha read my first comment in this thread (the one where it says the to get the evo because it is a great car). I never said which was better, just laughed at dude when he says crazy stuff like "STi's are scary at speed" and how the evo is better in every aspect. Who's the fanboi? Hahaha.
^ what? again, its a comparison: "The sti is scary unstable at speed, where as the evo feels more stable, neutral, and planted"

while your opinions are based on some guy named seranin's experiences. i still dont get why you think he's biased
Old 02-20-2007, 05:55 PM

I might be an Evo owner today if I didn't get FANTASTIC service from Subaru and DEPLORABLE service from Mitsubishi.

The Evo might be the better car 100 times over, but I'd never know it...as I wasn't allowed to test drive one. I absolutely love my STI, wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM

the STi exhibits a ton of body roll. I dunno about you, but it is a bit scary to me trying to hang onto the wheel as you are being pushed into the passenger seat as you turn a corner at 70mph since the seats dont do ****.
A huge Whiteline bar and a set of Recaros fixed that right up!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by Yin
^ what? again, its a comparison: "The sti is scary unstable at speed, where as the evo feels more stable, neutral, and planted"

while your opinions are based on some guy named seranin's experiences. i still dont get why you think he's biased
My experiences are based on my own. Both cars have good points and drawbacks. I understand what a comparison is so thanks. Also re-read where I say I have driven and 8, and a 9. The 8 was highly modified. Just using Seranin, a long time member here and a friend of mine and other member’s, opinion shows not everything about the EVO is superior to the STi. Is this really that hard to see? You would think I was the guy here how said the STi was better than the EVO in every way. I mean wtf am I taking crazy pills here?

I think his opinion is biased because he makes crazy statements that are untrue. Do you understand that?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:03 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Let's be honest here and give credit to where credit is due. The STi has VERY little in terms of overall "quality" over the EVO IX, and none in terms of performance potential.

There's definately no lack of "torque" in the EVO's 2.0L motor VS the STi's 2.5. My personal car put down 310whp and 310ft/lbs of torque on a Dyno Dynamics dyno with only two mods. Turboback exhaust and an intake after it was tuned. The average STi with TBE and flash puts down significantly less power and torque than that.

The EVO also has a cast iron block, which obviously will obviously be a better platform to build upon compared to the aluminum block found in the STi. Also the inline 4 configuration the EVO has will spool large turbos much faster than a Subaru. You can argue it sounds "crappy" compared to the Subaru Boxer rumble, but have you heard how a Subaru sounds with an equal length manifold? Sounds just as ricer'ish if you ask me.

Build quality. Face it, both cars weren't made for luxury anyway. So that's a moot point. I've owned both a Subaru and an EVO, and both interiors look equally ****ty when compared to my BMW M5 or the Porsche 996 that I daily drive now.

That being said, the EVO is the performance bargain of the century. Subaru just comes up a little short in certain areas. But if only Subaru would start importing the Spec C or S204, etc versions of the STi, then maybe the playing field would be a little bit more level.

Just my .02
Old 02-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Yeah..I drive the same route from home every single day. My comparisons are apples to apples considering I navigated the same exact turns/corners/sweepers 2x as much in the STi than I have so far in the evo, its not some random test drive comparison

*shrugs*

Like I said, these are just my thoughts, I figured since Ive logged quite some time in both cars my opinion would be a bit more valid than others, but if STilyn is convinced im just a biased fanboi than so be it, I dont need to e-race anyone or proof my points any further

The OP asked to be talked out of buying an evo, so I'll help out

Dont buy the evo, its far too fast for the street, the steering is so twitchy you will end up 2 lanes over if you sneeze. The recaros hug you so much, if you are sporting any love handles you wont like them. If you have a short gf, she will complain that her head hits the holes for the harnesses and that the ride is very stiff, not to mention she will ask what all the whizzing sound is when you get on it.

In addition to this, the stock exhaust is pretty loud and you are likely to get pulled over for it, the stock tires are so sticky but only last 10-12k when driven hard. Plus there isnt any fancy cluster or 6-disc in dash CD player, however your eyes will always be glued on the road due to insane speed capabilities and said twitchy steering, so even if you had those luxuries, you would never be able to appreciate them.

Factor in the ease to hit 300whp+ with minimal mods, you will be burning holes in your pocket in no time to replace the clutch, possibly the TC, and lots of gas since you wont be able to control yourself. Not to mention the ability to run uber wide tires just compels one to slap on some 17x9s and run 255 or 275 wide tires all around. These are very expensive and can lead to neck injury when taking corners too quickly

In short...dont buy it, or it will quickly turn into a money pit once you see what other bay area evos are doing

Last edited by ucbsti; 02-20-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lurk

Build quality. Face it, both cars weren't made for luxury anyway. So that's a moot point. I've owned both a Subaru and an EVO, and both interiors look equally ****ty when compared to my BMW M5 or the Porsche 996 that I daily drive now.
TRUTH! I hate how suby fan boys always bring up the interior. Lets be real, both are based on economy cars and both suck ***** compared to the entry level luxury sedans in the 30k bracket

If you are worried about the interior, you should not be looking at either, and instead at the G35 and the maxipad it comes with

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!