Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by Yin
^^but he used to pwn an sti. how is that biased? ive driven an evo before. its pretty damn amazing, and totally not what one would expect from a stock production car.
Yeah..I racked up 25k on my STi, 10k so far on the evo

Id would be pretty silly to lose 5k or so in depreciation if I didnt think the evo was a far superior over-all car. Trust me, I milled over the decision for 2+ months before finally making the switch, but don't regret it one bit

As for STi handling better with an alignment..I had espelir GTs, strut bars, RSB, and a performance alignment from AI. I can enter/exit pretty much every corner faster in the evo and with much more confidence. The sti is scary unstable at speed, where as the evo feels more stable, neutral, and planted (not to mention less body roll with a good set of springs). my driving hasnt changed at all, but I would lose traction all the time int he STi. Ive only slightly lost traction one time int he evo. You really gotta be coming in hot or purposely lift/yank while mid-apex to get the evo to break the tires loose. The only scary/bad part of the evo is when/If you do lose traction, you are going a whole lot faster

And I really dont see how you can say the STi interior wins hands down. (consider the fact I sat in one for over a year daily)

1) The front seats are trash (they didnt hold me in for ****, I had to get a JDM v8 seat)
2) The material is BLUE (evo is all alcantara as well)
3) The door panels are identical
4) back seats are smaller
5) the plastics are still just painted

Ill give you the cluster and center console...but thats the ONLY part of the sti interior that wins. Frankly driver position and feel is car more important to me

But I digress..and driving and evo once or twice does not qualify once as an expert on its shining points. I hardly think you had enough seat time in it to learn how to effectively push it to its limits (**** neither have I) since driving the evo and driving the STi are 2 different things.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:03 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by ucbsti
Yeah..I racked up 25k on my STi, 10k so far on the evo

Id would be pretty silly to lose 5k or so in depreciation if I didnt think the evo was a far superior over-all car. Trust me, I milled over the decision for 2+ months before finally making the switch, but don't regret it one bit

As for STi handling better with an alignment..I had espelir GTs, strut bars, RSB, and a performance alignment from AI. I can enter/exit pretty much every corner faster in the evo and with much more confidence. The sti is scary unstable at speed, where as the evo feels more stable, neutral, and planted (not to mention less body roll with a good set of springs). my driving hasnt changed at all, but I would lose traction all the time int he STi. Ive only slightly lost traction one time int he evo. You really gotta be coming in hot or purposely lift/yank while mid-apex to get the evo to break the tires loose. The only scary/bad part of the evo is when/If you do lose traction, you are going a whole lot faster

And I really dont see how you can say the STi interior wins hands down. (consider the fact I sat in one for over a year daily)

1) The front seats are trash (they didnt hold me in for ****, I had to get a JDM v8 seat)
2) The material is BLUE (evo is all alcantara as well)
3) The door panels are identical
4) back seats are smaller
5) the plastics are still just painted

Ill give you the cluster and center console...but thats the ONLY part of the sti interior that wins. Frankly driver position and feel is car more important to me

But I digress..and driving and evo once or twice does not qualify once as an expert on its shining points. I hardly think you had enough seat time in it to learn how to effectively push it to its limits (**** neither have I) since driving the evo and driving the STi are 2 different things.

Just reading your post shows how biased you are. I will not try to argue the STi tit for tat against the EVO. Many people have owned both and reviewed both. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is the end all do all. Seranin (a member here) had an '04 STi and bought the 9 recently. He is very honest about what is better and what is not.

You on the otherhand think the EVO is superior in every way, when non of the reviews I have ever seen or read said that the EVO was better in every category. I am glad you enjoy your car and find it better in every way than your previous car. Just don't be surprised when not everybody buys into that story.

And my experience is once with a 9, but I have driven a 400whp EVO 8 that Blinguskahn of GST built. So I have had some seat time.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Is Mitsubishi as reliable as Subaru?

Or is the EVO a different story because it's built in Japan?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
No it is not. While the motor is tride and true, the EVO owners have their share of bugs.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by STiYLIN
^^^^^ totally biased ! I have driven both and I disagree with a lot of what you have said. Also the person 9 that I have driven his car "Seranin" (wish he would lo in and chime in) would agree. While the power side of it is true, I really disagree with the handling. With a simple alignment the stock sti handles better than a stock (not Bilstein equiped) 9. Also he mentioned missing torque. The interior on the STi wins period. Also let's not talk about the drive train problems evo owners experience when they put that mad power. Not saying which it BETTER as both are awesome cars with different achilles heels. You make it seem like the evo is all that and the STi has nothing but issues :rollseyes:

Missing torque?

300ftlbs+ from 3500-5800rpm

(this is Bryan@GSTs car)

Last edited by ucbsti; 02-20-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by STiYLIN
No it is not. While the motor is tride and true, the EVO owners have their share of bugs.
tis true..but all cars will have bugs when hitting high HP numbers

The main issues for the evo are the clutch and TC. As long as you dont drive like an idiot, you will see good life out of both, with the MR 6-speed having some issues as well (you can also ask Bryan@GST about those)
Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 2011 Impreza 2.5i Dark Gray Metallic
Has anyone read this?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...lutch+flywheel
Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Yeah...the stock clutch is a known issue. Ive got 10k on mine, no issues so far. There are some that fail below 5k, some go 35k+. It wasnt a large enough issue for me to not get the car.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 PM

meh... At least they warrentied it.. shrugs.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by PANGES
meh... At least they warrentied it.. shrugs.
ROFL!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ucbsti
Missing torque?

300ftlbs+ from 3500-5800rpm

(this is Bryan@GSTs car)

That car is not stock, as is Seranin's (the one saying it had less torque than his STi). Still laughing @ the "The sti is scary unstable at speed". And you are not biased
Old 02-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by chimchimm5

Or is the EVO a different story because it's built in Japan?
The STI isn't built in Japan no mores??? Oh noes!!1!

Did they move to Portugal??
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM

No **** its not stock. Your buddies "butt dyno" doesnt change what the dyno spits out however. The evo makes great power/torque and this is shown over and over again in track times, regardless of what peoples butt dynos tell them

Evos, even when stock, throw down plenty of trq. In fact the evo IX usually dynos higher in the torque dept than a stock STi.

And no..im not biased in any way, Im simply speaking from personal experience. I DROVE an sti for 1 full year, racked up 25k miles on it. To say the evo is more stable at high speeds in the corners is not a folly. Pretty much every major publication/show/video/person ive talked to gives the evo the nod in the handling department (by a wide margain). The only ones who still refuse to accept this fact are extreme suby fanbois

I'm not trying to say the STi is crap, because compared to most cars out there, its a beast, has a great awd system, and is damn reliable.

But when it comes to going fast on tarmac, the evo takes the cake.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
i dont see how... stating ones opinion about two products theyve tried, and then comparing their characteristics to each other, and then making a decision on which one they like better... is biased. you couldnt ask for a better comparison for the enthusiast market. i think someone is just butt hurt that, god forbid, we like another car other than a subaru, and show real car knowledge instead of fan-boy loyalty
Old 02-20-2007, 05:31 PM

*shrugs*

I've given my opinion. Ive owned both cars,hell I drove them back to back daily for 2-weeks+ (both were stock since I returned the STi to stock before I sold it).

I like the evo better, for many reasons.

Not to mention, I believe there are far more forming STi/wrx owning people now with an evo, than there are former evo owning people now with an STi

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!