Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Historically Evos have had a reputation for less understeer than Subarus. Is that still the case with the latest iterations?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by Shadowplay
Historically Evos have had a reputation for less understeer than Subarus. Is that still the case with the latest iterations?

STi now comes with the ajustible center diff.... you can make the understeer go by by
Old 02-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
How about I trade you my L or something...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Weight transfer and suspension set up = tune it how you like it to handle. Since it's AWD on both platforms, there's always going to be some understeer up to a point.

I love the Evo, it's great out of the box, and it looks great on the outside. I love the fact that you can throw some crazy fitment wheels into it without working on suspension.

The STi's require a lot more work, they're great out of the box too, but they're not really suited to take on large wheel fitments without some overhauling of the suspension and fenders.

I think it all comes down to which car you prefer - even though both cars seem identical on paper, they're completely different. The Evo has the AYC, and has sharper turn in. The STi has a DCCD, and has a faster exit speed. Evo is front wheel drive bias AWD (at least that's what I've heard) and the STi is rear wheel drive bias AWD, or symmetrical AWD depending on DCCD setting.

Test drive both, pick the one you like more, because in the end you'll know you made the right choice.

Another funny thing: We're never satisfied, some Evo owners want the STi really bad and some STi owners really want an Evo. *shrug* One day, I'll just own both
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
the 9 is a great car. Why do you want to be talked out of it?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by newyorkreload
STi now comes with the ajustible center diff.... you can make the understeer go by by
That has nothing to do with it. Even with the DCCD you still have understeer. It has everything to do with the positive camber up front (.8) instead of negative camber. Also a thicker rear sway with assist with taking out the understeer.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: FORD PINTO
Originally Posted by Onizuka
Weight transfer and suspension set up = tune it how you like it to handle. Since it's AWD on both platforms, there's always going to be some understeer up to a point.

I love the Evo, it's great out of the box, and it looks great on the outside. I love the fact that you can throw some crazy fitment wheels into it without working on suspension.

The STi's require a lot more work, they're great out of the box too, but they're not really suited to take on large wheel fitments without some overhauling of the suspension and fenders.

I think it all comes down to which car you prefer - even though both cars seem identical on paper, they're completely different. The Evo has the AYC, and has sharper turn in. The STi has a DCCD, and has a faster exit speed. Evo is front wheel drive bias AWD (at least that's what I've heard) and the STi is rear wheel drive bias AWD, or symmetrical AWD depending on DCCD setting.

Test drive both, pick the one you like more, because in the end you'll know you made the right choice.

Another funny thing: We're never satisfied, some Evo owners want the STi really bad and some STi owners really want an Evo. *shrug* One day, I'll just own both
isn't the other way around? evo rwd bias and the sti bias??? Cause I can get the rear of my evo to side out easier than when I did it with my wrx
Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
It all depends on your ego! Ha , kidding, I assume this will be a daily driver? Or will you have a beater to commute/drive around with? Just make sure you make the best decision off of the best info, based on your driving needs/desires/wallet!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I own an EVO IX, but I was driving a GT35R equipped STi for a good while. Comparing the two of them, hands down the EVO is more fun to drive and handles way better. The only time I had fun driving that STi honestly was when I was on the freeway and hearing that external WG open up when I drop the hammer.

Honestly the cars are pretty much equal in terms of build quality and comfort. My friends do agree that the EVO is more comfortable to ride in, especially if you have backseat passengers. They all hated sitting in the back of the STi.

Another thing to mention is the Recaro seats the EVO's come with are friggin AWESOME! I did not like the STi's seats one bit when I'm driving up in the mountains. But as much as I didn't like the seats, the heavy understeer the STi has sucks even more when you're doing any kind of "spirited driving".

I will say the STi is a good car for daily driving, it's overall a more relaxing car to drive. Steering isn't as sensitive, so you won't have to worry about wandering into another lane if you happen to want to change the radio station and take your hand off the wheel. (EVO owners know what I'm talking about). I would prefer to have both however. I'd daily drive the STi, and use the EVO on the weekends. But if I had to choose one, it would be the EVO.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Ive parted out my heavily modifed bugeye wagon and Im thinking about buying an EVO IX. Ive dreamed about an STi for sooooooo long....but after test driving the EVO VIII and IX I think Im hooked.

EVO pros: The fact that out of the box it handles so good and reacts so well to power mods is selling me on the EVO over the STi.

STi pros: Im thinking Subaru reliability and daily driver comfort.

Why shouldnt I buy the EVO?? What do YOU think?
You should find out what your needs are and then fulfill it.

IMO, if you do buy an EVO...you might feel weird showing up with an EVO at all the COOL Subaru meets. At least with a Suby, you'll be able to drive up to all the Suby meets and still feel like you are part of the Subaru family.

Charlie Yeo
Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Car Info: wrx02
I have 02wrx, but I drove both cars. Evo is much more fun to drive in my opinion. I was about to get evo 9 myself, but no more car payment on my rex is so much more fun for now. Get evo 9 MR if you want to keep it stock or slightly modified. Just to add more options, how about sti limited. Much more sexier - I think.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by Lurk
I own an EVO IX, but I was driving a GT35R equipped STi for a good while. Comparing the two of them, hands down the EVO is more fun to drive and handles way better. The only time I had fun driving that STi honestly was when I was on the freeway and hearing that external WG open up when I drop the hammer.

Honestly the cars are pretty much equal in terms of build quality and comfort. My friends do agree that the EVO is more comfortable to ride in, especially if you have backseat passengers. They all hated sitting in the back of the STi.

Another thing to mention is the Recaro seats the EVO's come with are friggin AWESOME! I did not like the STi's seats one bit when I'm driving up in the mountains. But as much as I didn't like the seats, the heavy understeer the STi has sucks even more when you're doing any kind of "spirited driving".

I will say the STi is a good car for daily driving, it's overall a more relaxing car to drive. Steering isn't as sensitive, so you won't have to worry about wandering into another lane if you happen to want to change the radio station and take your hand off the wheel. (EVO owners know what I'm talking about). I would prefer to have both however. I'd daily drive the STi, and use the EVO on the weekends. But if I had to choose one, it would be the EVO.
I agree with all of the above statements

I sold my modded stage 2 STi and picked up an evo IX instead. Even 100% bone stock, the evo was more fun to drive than the modded STi

Pros over the STi
-Steering is way better (less P/S assist, quicker turn in, way more road feedback)
-Suspension wise-evo wins, no doubt. Go ride in one and report back. Much more stable at speed and neutral handling
-Comes with wider tires stock, not to mention you can run 255s with no issues or 275s with minor fender mods (hehe, minor)
-power potential. Lets face it, the TMIC and manifold scheme of the STi is extremely inefficient. Every STi/subaru owner likes to poke fun at the evos turbo lag and make it seem like it comes stock with a "huge" turbo. Its not even huge, its a tdo5/16g. Throw the same turbo on the STi and you will still struggle to hit 300whp on a MD. Evo IXs are hitting 300whp with ease and many are 340whp+ on race gas. Simply put, the short manifold/turbo placement/FMIC makes the engines engine much more efficient in stock form. Not a single stock turbo sti is in the 11s yet, while evos do it all day long, some crazy ones even in the 10s. Usually you need a 20g on a STi to hit 300whp+ on pump gas and the stock TMIC needs to be scrapped at that point
-interior. The evo recaros blow the stock STi seats out of the water, door panels are the same in both cars, both use cheap painted plastics, evo rear seat is in fact much larger and more useful. Minus the center console/cluster, the evo interior is better over-all. And I dunno about you, but the blue STi interior pissed me off after 3-4 months.
-cost to mod-way cheaper and easier to find parts for.
-Cost to buy. You can get a new IX RS for 26k, a IX GSR SE for 29k (At veracom). STis are going for 32-33k for a bare one. I got mine IX for 31k OTD with lojack installed.
-Bay area tuning support-All major bay area tuners use ECUflash to tune evos now. So you pay for just the flash, not need to dish out 600-700 on a cobb AP or Ecutek license
-Ease to work on. Cam/head/spark plug swaps are much easier and less labor intensive

So yeah..the evo IX is a great car. I've daily driven it for 10k so far, plenty of trips to tahoe. If you plant to mod the car, the STis comfort goes out the window, so you might as well get the evo
Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 PM

^^^^^ totally biased ! I have driven both and I disagree with a lot of what you have said. Also the person 9 that I have driven his car "Seranin" (wish he would lo in and chime in) would agree. While the power side of it is true, I really disagree with the handling. With a simple alignment the stock sti handles better than a stock (not Bilstein equiped) 9. Also he mentioned missing torque. The interior on the STi wins period. Also let's not talk about the drive train problems evo owners experience when they put that mad power. Not saying which it BETTER as both are awesome cars with different achilles heels. You make it seem like the evo is all that and the STi has nothing but issues :rollseyes:
Old 02-20-2007, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 2006 Evo IX SSL
subaru community & their help FTW
Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
^^^^^ totally biased ! I have driven both and I disagree with a lot of what you have said. Also the person 9 that I have driven his car "Seranin" (wish he would lo in and chime in) would agree. While the power side of it is true, I really disagree with the handling. With a simple alignment the stock sti handles better than a stock (not Bilstein equiped) 9. Also he mentioned missing torque. The interior on the STi wins period. Also let's not talk about the drive train problems evo owners experience when they put that mad power. Not saying which it BETTER as both are awesome cars with different achilles heels. You make it seem like the evo is all that and the STi has nothing but issues :rollseyes:
^^but he used to pwn an sti. how is that biased? ive driven an evo before. its pretty damn amazing, and totally not what one would expect from a stock production car.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying an EVO IX !!