Syncros replacement/Tranny warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX Limited
Syncros replacement/Tranny warranty

I think the syncros is gone on my car. I have about 44k - is the tranny still under warranty? isn't it covered under until 60k?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:48 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Acadian
I think the syncros is gone on my car. I have about 44k - is the tranny still under warranty? isn't it covered under until 60k?

how modified is your car? Where do you get it services?

Basically.....it happens. Stock. modified. Doesn't really matter. It happens. But if you're modified it's gonna increase the chance that you get denied. An honest dealership will open it up and look at it and see it's there shisty syncros. But because of increase in claims and more and more modified subarus I've heard of dealerships charging $1500 to open it up. if they see it's there fault they pay for it. Otherwise you pay for it.

Me...mine crapped out around 27k or so. Totally stock. I went to santa cruz subaru. They took if for a spin. Knew it was they sycros. Openned it up. Saw it wasn't my fault. And fixed it.

You should be under warranty. Get it looked at before it gets too bad.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:58 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

Basically.....it happens. Stock. modified. Doesn't really matter. It happens. But if you're modified it's gonna increase the chance that you get denied. An honest dealership will open it up and look at it and see it's there shisty syncros. But because of increase in claims and more and more modified subarus I've heard of dealerships charging $1500 to open it up. if they see it's there fault they pay for it. Otherwise you pay for it.

Me...mine crapped out around 27k or so. Totally stock. I went to santa cruz subaru. They took if for a spin. Knew it was they sycros. Openned it up. Saw it wasn't my fault. And fixed it.

What are the signs your synchros are going? Mine grinds going from neutral to first sometimes, like several times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:11 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
you should notice the griding while downshifting, as it puts more load onto the syncho's than when upshifting
Old 03-18-2005, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 03 Cummins, 99 miata, 91 v8 miata, 90 spec miata
Originally Posted by mcdrama
What are the signs your synchros are going? Mine grinds going from neutral to first sometimes, like several times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Mine does that too.... except atleast once every day. And I don't drive too much (probably about 10 miles/day total).
Old 03-19-2005, 12:05 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by crashnscar
Mine does that too.... except atleast once every day. And I don't drive too much (probably about 10 miles/day total).
I will have had my car for 1 year next week, and am just under 35K miles. :x
Old 03-19-2005, 03:25 AM

Other than a few handling mods (wheels/springs) my car is bone stock.

Mine started feeling bad at 30K, right after I brought it in to Santa Cruz Subaru for its 30k service. I first noticed it when on occasion, from dead stop – as I’m about to shift into first gear (when I am about to go), it would eat a fist full of gears while feeling the jolt through my hand. Now downshifting to 3rd, 2nd and 1st is not like it once was.

Went to Auto Innovations yesterday for a tire rotation, and asked Orlando to pay close attention to 1st and 2nd gear then test driving it. He said 1st was indeed pretty bad.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
A friend of mine had their Subaru in for service for synchro gears. Dealership confirmed the synchro gears were probably to blame after two test drives, they made him sign a waiver that if they crack open the tranny and find it's the driver's abuse and their fault, 1500 dollar charge to fix it. They cracked the tranny and replaced 3, 4, 5 gear synchros and related parts and put it all back together at no charge under the warranty.

My advice: go on the test drive with the dealer rep and don't let them tell you there's nothing wrong. Ron Price service reps will always tell you there's no problem and that you're hearing/seeing things that are not there, don't listen to them and try to reproduce the problem as best you can.

BUT considering you're outside of the warranty period, your car most likely won't be fixed for free.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by thebankman
BUT considering you're outside of the warranty period, your car most likely won't be fixed for free.
What is the warranty period? I also remember buying an extended warranty!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Team Brown
same thing happend to me a few months back, my car was basically bone stock @36k i noticed that everytime i downshift from 5 to 4 i would here a grinding sound. So I took in to autowest in roseville and told them about. They test drove and confirmed it was the synchros so they replaced it all. But hey you have the extended warranty the should replace with no problem.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:59 PM
General Pimpin'

crazy. Yeah take it in. Sounds like your syncros are pretty bad.

As for signs. Early signs are just a simple grind...most likely gears are going in and out of first and reverse and going in and out of 4th. 4th is the gear that gets the most torque.

Hopefully you can catch it then and get it fixed. It just gets worst.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:02 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
what does it sounds like exactly when your syncros are wearing out or gone? I notice when im in 1st gear and depressed the clutch in while its still in 1st, i hear a whinnin noise like when the car is in reverse. if i take it out of first and put it in neutral i dont hear it anymore. does that mean that my syncro are bad? it only happens in 1st gear
Old 04-06-2005, 02:59 AM

I'm going to bring my car in to get checked...now the questions SC Subaru vs Calsen?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:07 AM
General Pimpin'

SC Subaru hands down.

They're not retarded. They'll know if it's them or you. They'll fix it no questions asked. Just make sure you get a ride with a tech so you can show them first hand...them driving...what happens when and why.

P.S. I'll be there friday morning.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
same for me... santa cruz subaru is great on service!