SubaruCivic

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Arrow SubaruCivic

wat

Hi, welcome to my thread about my project. My name is Yannick B. and i'm 27 years old. I live in Québec, Canada and I've done this project during the 2010 winter (January to April). I'm not perfect in English so please be tolerant.

Some facts about my project..
1- This is not a race car
2- This is not a show car
3- This is my daily driver car
4- This is a low budget project
5- The final cost is 5300$ CAD including coffee and donuts!

I would like to all of you to read one more time the number 5. This is important because with 10 000$ more, the car will be very different! Before I buy the Subaru and the Civic, I fix my budget to a maximum of 6000$. Why? I've done a project before with no limit and after 2 years, I was broke of 15 000$, for me, it was just too much money for something with 4 wheels who burn fuel.

Why a Civic? I always love the shape of the 92-95 models.

Why a Subaru? I've got a good price in the first place (the average price for a wrecked WRX is between 4000$ to 6000$, I paid mine 1950$), one of the best AWD car in the world IMO, etc.

Why the project? Change my mind was the main goal here.

I take the time to make this thread for you as a source of motivation or idea for your current or next project. If you have questions, please ask and I will be happy to answer you. Enjoy!

What can I do with a Honda that was never be done before?

1950$ CAD

Subaru frame with some renforcement before cutting.

Why the body swap and the mechanical swap? For the geometry and the strength of the Subaru chassis

The reinforcement was necessary since the Honda is far less strength than the Subaru. I made it with 2x1 steel tubes. This is NOT the best choice for racing application, I know that. But for the reinforcement needed, IMO it's enough. I can be wrong and I'm willing to pay the price if I am. I will assume my responsibility if something happens. The roof needed to be reinforced, if you look at the struture of the Subaru roof, you will understand why so much steel was added. 20$ for all the tubing, remember thight budget and this is very the easy to fix all the inside trim since is flat and lower. The paint doesn’t look good because it was -10 Celsius when I done that. (14 Fahrenheit)

The reinforcement was built in mind for a crash without any protection, so this is why the front still have the deformation zone and the air bag will be operationnal very soon. The roof is not overkill since the Subaru roof is overkill in the beginning. The rear section, the reinforcement doesn’t go to the rail frame to make sure the deformation will occur in case of a crash. The triangle will go down if I’m hit hard enough. From the firewall to the rear shock tower, this is very strong and this is how car are built, to protect the passenger and absorb the most energy of a crash from the deformation zone.

Front fender work begin! The Subaru have a whellbase shorter than the Civic, exactly 1,9 inch.

Not finished on this picture but you can see how much work the front fender was! I would like to thanks the old girl, Becca Mig, she have like 20 years and still do the job! The funniest thing, this is the same mig I use 10 years ago on my Chevrolet Nova Project!

I was looking NOT to install the scoop, but the law of space aviable fail me. The only way to put a FMIC was to move the radiator in the back... All the piping will be a nightmare and no I will never remove the renforcement beam bumper to install a FMIC! I know the efficacity of that beam... And one more thing, the FMIC is less efficient than the mount top intercooler but yes I would like to have no scoop!

I decide not to pay for the paint shop because I don't care about the small imperfection... Since is satin black, they are hard to find and the car will be always dirty. I'm not a big fan of washing my car every day, if I wash it twice in the summer, I will be proud of myself… I wash my mountain bike every ride, that mean almost every day, that what we call "priority in life"!The paint is urethane with a flatening agent.

Fresh fuel...When I arrive at the gas station, I parked the car on the wrong side! I started laughing…

Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
ibthisisarepost/wtlw
Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
06d

Car Info: 2006 aspen white wrx
He should at least do fmic to keep the civic look and not a hood scoop
Old 04-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by ryball
ibthisisarepost/wtlw
bingo

There is a better one linked from that thread too, civic hatch with corvette swap.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by akdmx

There is a better one linked from that thread too, civic hatch with corvette swap.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
Ej-eg?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
EJ-EG Transexual
Old 04-22-2010, 04:35 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
I just want to know how it runs and performs. Could be a beast.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Car Info: Hybwid Bugeye on corn juice :)
wowzerz
Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Car Info: WRX
Holy **** this guy must have a lot of time on his hands. Crazy idea and props to actually making it works...but please make it disappear as it's embarrassing.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
that's kinda cool. i like odd ball things with good well thought out craftsmanship.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru STI
WTF
Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Car Info: MY05RS, MY70914, and MY10VT1300CS
+1... I love that kind of ****...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
that's looks pretty cool but IMHO no boxer should be in a Honda except for the Valkyrie